Slow Wipers

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
rdh778
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Slow Wipers

Post by rdh778 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:41 am

Why does the driver side wiper hardly go at all when the passenger side wiper works fine.
Thanks,
Bob

hambone
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Slow Wipers

Post by hambone » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:54 am

Are you still running the vacuum pump on side of the block? make sure vacuum lines have no restrictions or leaks, could be a bad wiper, you could swap them around and check it out. Put some RainX on the windshield, that will help a little.

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:46 am

I have had NOS wipers wipe at different speeds , it’s all depends on how well the paddle seal is sealing. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks at any point on the supply lines connections etc. Also when one wiper is slow and has a paddle not sealing properly the other wiper will be slower that normal due to the loss of vacuum.Test them separately.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:53 am

First, make sure they are hooked up correctly, The drivers side and passenger side motors mount reverse from each other. Second, Check the metal U tubes that route the vacuum lines under the dash as these tend to rust inside and become restricted. Easy way to check is to run a vacuum line direct from the pump to the wiper valve and leave the return line open inside the vehicle. The wipers should fly then. Then hook up just the vacuum supply metal tube and see if it is still the same. If it is go for the second tube but take off the return line under the dash. Basically just keep adding lines until you get to the air cleaner and you will eventually find the restriction. The line to the air cleaner is a pretty small line so it will not flow a lot of air. On mine I have the wiper return line just barely plugged into the metal tube and if I need the wipers I just pop that return line of the tube and run the wipers. The 151 was the first vehicle to use a clean air return line on the wipers, all of the older vehicles just had an open fitting at the wiper motor for the air return
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”