Mutt Hesitates

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
rdh778
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Mutt Hesitates

Post by rdh778 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:53 am

When I press the accelerator my m151a1 hesitates and then goes normally. I assume that is a carburetor issue. Can I adjust something or do I need to rebuild it?
Thanks,
Bob

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Mutt Hesitates

Post by muttguru » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 pm

Setting up the carburetor correctly is not that difficult, but you have to be certain that everything else is spot-on first. It really is pointless twiddling with the carb unless and until everything else is correct. The carburetor is ALWAYS the LAST thing to touch. My recommendation is :-

1. Change oil in air cleaner;
2. Clean out the fuel filter (at carb);
3. Re-set valve clearances;
4. Re-gap spark plugs;
5. Re-set points gap (if not using electronic ignition);
6. Set ignition timing with strobe light;
7. Check all vent-line connections are secure.
8. And if you have an in-line fuel filter, remove it and throw it away.

When all these are done, in that order, only then is it time to "do" the carburetor.
Ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:45 am

You mentioned in another thread that this carb was a Brooks carb. The symptom you are describing is a bad accelerator pump or clogged pump jet. Assuming as Ken said (and have said in a post on the 838) that all the other systems are in good order. I personally do not agree with Ken on throwing out the extra inline filter but that is a personal thing between us. If it is running fine at speed the filters are fine. IF it was a Brooks rebuild then contact Brooks and he will take care of it. I am not aligned with Brooks in any way, as a matter of fact I am a competitor of his in mutt carb rebuilding, but any of us in the business will take care of our customers.

With all of that said, if you did not buy the carb from him then he may or may not help you other than some basic advice. I will give you the best advice I can but I am not there and I can't rebuild a carb online.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rdh778
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rdh778 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:57 am

Thank you for all your replies. I am sending my carb to Brooks Engine Service for a rebuild and small modification.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:43 am

I talked to Brooks along time ago about rebuilding my carb, he takes a rebuilt one he has already on the shelf to send you, so you don't get the original back.
change user name to mark

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”