shipping

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
Post Reply
tecknomage
G-Private
G-Private
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:38 am
Location: east Tn
Contact:

shipping

Post by tecknomage » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:01 pm

anyone know of a good shipping outfit for MUTT's? utah to Tennessee
the MUTT... the vech the marines went BACK to..

User avatar
Sgt Bennett
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: Trenton, Ontario, CANADA

Re: shipping

Post by Sgt Bennett » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 am

Try Uship. You enter the vehicle data, origin/destination, etc and shippers bid for your business.
Gordon Bennett

1985 HMMWV M998
1986 Bombardier Iltis

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Posts: 4658
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Pemberton, New Jersey

Re: shipping

Post by Rickf » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:26 am

Check the Steel Soldiers site on their transportation forum and see if a guy named Mike Popp is still there. He lives out there and used to run the east coast. Don't know if he still does. He is very familiar with military vehicles. Be careful with U-Ship, you can end up with some teenager with a home made car trailer and no insurance. And NO experience! Or you can get a real good one looking to fill out a load on a high end hauler, it is a crap shoot with them.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

User avatar
1943Willysgpw
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: shipping

Post by 1943Willysgpw » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 am

Sgt Bennett wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 am
Try Uship. You enter the vehicle data, origin/destination, etc and shippers bid for your business.
I have use this to have my GTB brought home. If I remember correctly the guy bid 500 dollars to bring it from mid Wyoming to OKC area. Luke and I had figured the fuel and I don't know how the guy made any money. Funny story though. He called and said he was near and it would be about a hour. An hour later, I hear a truck outside. I go outside and think it was not him. It was a Uhaul box truck is in the street. YUP. The guy had built ramps over the wheel wells and winched the GTB inside. WOW!
"None of us are as smart as all of us"

1942 GPW 1871 DoD 2-27-42 Dallas Plant
1945 GPW 247890 DoD 1-26-45 Louisville Plant
1942 GTB 136166 DoD 9-18-42
1942 GTB 135938 DoD
1952 M100

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Posts: 4658
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Pemberton, New Jersey

Re: shipping

Post by Rickf » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am

1943Willysgpw wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 am
Sgt Bennett wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 am
Try Uship. You enter the vehicle data, origin/destination, etc and shippers bid for your business.
I have use this to have my GTB brought home. If I remember correctly the guy bid 500 dollars to bring it from mid Wyoming to OKC area. Luke and I had figured the fuel and I don't know how the guy made any money. Funny story though. He called and said he was near and it would be about a hour. An hour later, I hear a truck outside. I go outside and think it was not him. It was a Uhaul box truck is in the street. YUP. The guy had built ramps over the wheel wells and winched the GTB inside. WOW!
And I guarantee he had NO insurance to cover any of it if anything happened! THAT is exactly what I am talking about.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone


User avatar
1943Willysgpw
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: shipping

Post by 1943Willysgpw » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:16 am

Rickf wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am
1943Willysgpw wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 am
Sgt Bennett wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 am
Try Uship. You enter the vehicle data, origin/destination, etc and shippers bid for your business.
I have use this to have my GTB brought home. If I remember correctly the guy bid 500 dollars to bring it from mid Wyoming to OKC area. Luke and I had figured the fuel and I don't know how the guy made any money. Funny story though. He called and said he was near and it would be about a hour. An hour later, I hear a truck outside. I go outside and think it was not him. It was a Uhaul box truck is in the street. YUP. The guy had built ramps over the wheel wells and winched the GTB inside. WOW!
And I guarantee he had NO insurance to cover any of it if anything happened! THAT is exactly what I am talking about.
How funny. I did not even see your post. It describes it perfectly.
"None of us are as smart as all of us"

1942 GPW 1871 DoD 2-27-42 Dallas Plant
1945 GPW 247890 DoD 1-26-45 Louisville Plant
1942 GTB 136166 DoD 9-18-42
1942 GTB 135938 DoD
1952 M100

Rustman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:04 am
Location: Charles Town, WV

Re: shipping

Post by Rustman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:03 am

It's my understanding Uhaul expressly forbids using their box trucks to transport motor vehicles. Tow, yes. But inside is a big no no with them.

If you are getting hard up on options see if there is a live stock hauler going back your way empty. I know my MUTT fit inside a horse/stock trailer. Has to the kind without a center divider though. Barely but it did fit.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1967 Ford M-151A1

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Posts: 4658
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Pemberton, New Jersey

Re: shipping

Post by Rickf » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:29 am

U=haul does prohibit that kind of use but it is quite common and I would do it for my own use on a cheaper vehicle but not as a car hauler business. You will have no insurance coverage that is for sure.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Post Reply

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests