intro - embarking on HMMWV build

Humvee modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

particulardude
G-Private
G-Private

intro - embarking on HMMWV build

Post by particulardude » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:17 pm

Hello - I am happy to have found this forum - I am here for the HMMWV content!

Let me start off by mentioning I did not serve but many family members did - dating back to the 30s. I hold a deep respect for all branches of our military and law enforcement. Thank you to those of you here who have served and/or continue to do so.

I am here for the HMMWV but my obsession did not originate with the mil spec but the H1.

The more I learn, the more I appreciate the original's minimal/bare bones interior w/o all of the decades old plastics and carpet, not to mention the current market on H1s. And what's not to love about the exterior of these trucks? They are the most badass 4x4 ever imho.

Whether learning here, across the interwebs or through the generous knowledge shared by a few quality, vetted builders across the country - I am grateful for all of the information shared among enthusiasts.

Based on my research thus far and where my preferences currently lie, I established the build specifications outlined below. Whittled down from 149 images I have curated during my research, I am including 13 relevant ones.

I am all ears for ANY input! That includes welcoming all opinions on my expectations, suggestions on changes to what I have specified here and so forth.

Disclaimers:
1 - While I am a complete noob here, I feel I have a fair sense of what I am getting myself into with respect to:
-costs
-lead times to source what I am looking for and to complete the build during a pandemic and election year
-maint obligations
-noise/comfort level
-water tightness
-the court of public opinion on these vehicles

2 - My build will not be museum/period correct but it will be OEM / OEM+ with only top quality aftermarket parts if necessary and absolutely no blingy features.

3 - I presume there is plenty of member crossover but I will be cross-posting this on other relevant forums in an attempt to gain as much insight as possible before embarking on the build.

4 - all photos gathered online - not mine.

Base/Exterior:
-A2 or ECV four man soft top truck
-mechanically gone through and ready to daily (short trip/around town 'dailying')
-OEM stance - no suspension leveling at this time (understand ride quality sacrifice)
-specific off-center winch front 'bumper plate' pictured with teardrop shackles - sans winch at this time
-airlift rear bumper with mudflaps, pintle hitch, teardrop + end cap U shackles
-24 bolt wheels with BFGoodrich Baja T/A tires (self recovery 'winch' center mounts on rear wheels)
-clean tub and hood free of damage (100% complete OEM bolts/rivets/seals/gaskets throughout)
-sup-armor smooth X-doors with locks
-fresh glass if needed - if one piece needs to be replaced, all will be replaced
-first gen H1 mirrors (have friend who has already fabricated tasteful custom CNC bracket to mount on HMMWV door hinge)
-LED lights all around but need to learn more about the options available
--would love to hear more about high quality LED headlight options - I like the ones ICON4X4 puts on their restomod Bronco and FJs and they sell them direct (have not researched HMMWV compatibility)
--any feedback on the ones pictured in the reference images on the recent HUMVEE C-Series Chinese market trucks?
--H1 marker lights above windshield and below tailgate - OEM mount with aftermarket LEDs?
--reverse light
--license plate light

-fresh paint inside and out:
--tub, hood and doors inside and out including bolts and hinges in light grey (color reference picture)
--leave gauge console/dash original green
--bumpers, mirrors, door handles, wheels (raw bolts), all light and reflector surrounds, hood latches and hood grill in black

-soft top - curious to hear thoughts top color choice on light grey truck: tan, camo, green or black (I am leaning green at the moment)

Interior:
-new or high quality refurbished gauges - GPS speedo, center mount RPM?
-new data plates
-new shifter assembly
-OEM removable insulation/padding
-four high back seats - willing to reupholster if necessary in OEM or similar fabric

Realistic future additions/updates:
-whatever electrical conversions/swaps necessary to power intercom and cameras
-intercom system (pciraceradios.com)
-cameras
-dual antenna
-hood reinforcement kit
-may paint/wrap areas black white and yellow re A400M Atlas color reference
-imprinted tailgate - bonus if original truck has one

Lofty future additions/updates:
-Red Dot AC
-OEM rear fifth tire mount
-suspension leveling/softening if I grow tired of the stock stance
-arctic soft top, curtain and doors (aware I would need to swap fixed door latch components to change between sup-armor and arctic doors)
-Duramax/Allison swap

I have attached reference images in order corresponding to the outline.

If you got this far - thank for reading and once again - I am all ears for ANY input. That includes welcoming all opinions on my expectations, suggestions on changes and so forth.

Curious to hear any opinions on where I should start:
-truck that has been gone through and paint + change necessary bolt ons to meet my specifications
or
-raw A2 or ECV coming out of auction (I will not be purchasing from auction myself if going this route)

Reference images:

stance
0001_stance_1.jpg
stance
0002_stance_2.jpg
front bumper
0003_front bumper.jpg
rear bumper
0004_rear bumper.jpg
doors
0005_doors.jpg
Last edited by particulardude on Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.."
-Theodore Roosevelt

particulardude
G-Private
G-Private

Re: intro - embarking on HMMWV build

Post by particulardude » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:30 pm

Additional reference images:

wheels
0006_wheels.jpg
wheel and tire
0007_wheel and tires.jpg
lights
0008_lights.jpg
color
0009_color.jpg
paint accents and lights
0010_paint accents and lights.jpg
paint quality
0011_paint quality_1.jpg
paint quality
0012_paint quality_2.jpg
gauge quality
0013_gauges.jpg
"...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Falldownjaeger
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Falldownjaeger » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:25 pm

I've bought 3 sets of the HMMWV mud flap kits from MilBot on ebay for $60/set shipped, but 4 of the polystyrene filler pieces were cracked, the piece that goes between the wheelhouse and the A2 bumper, some care some don't.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-Splash-G ... Sw-5RZkdJL
1995 M1025A2 Orig 5SFG GMV ODA525 "Hammerhead"
1995 M1025A2 Orig 1st SFC GMV 5 Commanders In Extremis Force GMV
1984 Chenowth Interim Fast Attack Vehicle 061 'Horny Toad"

particulardude
G-Private
G-Private

Post by particulardude » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Thank you for the info - those type of details are important to me.

I have also seen images where the flap is mounted on the ‘inside’ of the airlift bumper instead of the ‘outside’ looks strange to me and I believe the correct way is on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Theodore Roosevelt

particulardude
G-Private
G-Private

Post by particulardude » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Update!

Purchased an M1097A2 at the beginning of September and just awaiting on a few more parts and my build slot to get it rolling.

I’m beyond excited - immeasurable - literally cannot wait.

The project has been rethought over and over and the builder I am working with has been extremely helpful and flexible with my changes (note it has not gone under the knife just yet re changes - haha).

Definitely trimmed things down a bit from my OP.

This is where the build plan currently sits:
-4 man open top config
-OE x-doors
-24 bolt wheels with BFG Baja tires
-Camouflage Sand 30277 tub
-black top, hood grill, hood latches and door handles (not hinges)
-new LED lights, buckets and reflectors all around
-new high back seats

Known issues to be addressed:
-needs a new engine - have one ready to go in
-trans rebuild as long as engine is coming out
-new radiator
-new hood

Have yet to settle on plans for the interior so aside from a good clean and the new seats, it will be raw for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Humvee Modifications”