Lower control arms

Humvee modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

wooody1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Lower control arms

Post by wooody1 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:22 am

After some advice please.

From my understanding the early {1986 M998} humvees were rated at around 7-7700lbs so they had the smaller lower control arms, I believe they also did not have the hole at the bottom of the arm for the hummer jack set up.

Which type of jack did these trucks original use? I have seen pictures only of a small jack storage boxes that fit under the hood passenger side front, that appears to be no bigger than a whisky bottle, never seen a jack though.

The later style jack was the revised unit {Bogert} set up, will this jack work on the 7k lower control arms & 10k arms? Does this jack lock in place on the lower control arm?

If I wanted to replace all the lower control arms with the later style hummer 10k arms would I run into problems with different bushing sizes, and then throw out the overall geometry of the suspension with the upper arms as they would obviously match the 7k set up?

My overall plan was to do a full strip out of the suspension on each corner and do all BJ upper & lower, both control arms upper lower, new shocks, new tie rod ends, drag link, etc. Truck still has the older style ball joints.

The truck has a 2005 refit/upgrade and then a 2010 major service, is there any way to tell if I still have the older style control arms 7k installed, apart from the physical size of the arms? One of the service's is shown as a stamped tear drop metal plate, anyone know what this means, as in what works was done on the truck?

The truck was set up for a heavy load by where the rear arms where shimmed out 3/8, you site the truck from the rear and the wheels are pointing outwards, not sure if the truck was technically overloaded, wear on the tyres is good.

I do note that in during the 2005 refit they added the extra strengthening ring into the upper control arms to prevent the ball joint from ripping out of the arm, this would indicate that I would have the older type control arm set up.

Many thanks for your help

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Lower control arms

Post by Retired War Horses » Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am

If you have a single hole on the bottom, it’s the standard lower control arm, if you have 2 small holes that’s the upgraded LC arm and takes 7/16 BJ’s.
Upper control arms are either 5/16 “old” or 3/8 “new”. Before they started welding the reinforcement ring on, they provided it and it just bolted on.
Unless it has casted rear upper spring mounts and variable rate springs in the rear, it most likely didn’t receive a suspension upgrade kit.
I have many Reset trucks here and they have 3/8 lowers and 3/8 uppers, but the upper holes were just drilled out for the larger bolts.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

wooody1
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Lower control arms

Post by wooody1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:35 am

Thanks for your reply and assistance

Return to “Humvee Modifications”