T90 Clutch bracket to GPW frame

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Gunny
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

T90 Clutch bracket to GPW frame

Post by Gunny » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 am

Greetings All,

What modification did you have to do to align the clutch bracket on the GPW frame? It appears that the bracket on the frame needs to be moved back a bit. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.
The Gunny
One of the Few

1943 Ford GPW

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: T90 Clutch bracket to GPW frame

Post by Adam » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Move it rearward 1.250". You used the cj2a crossmember with the deeper drop did u not. Did u redo the body floor at tranny top area or did u lower the crossmember even more with spacers or something.? Then u may have to lower the mount location at least the same as the spacers.

Adam

Gunny
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Gunny » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:19 pm

The tub is off, haven't modified it yet. I lowered the cross member. My concern is that it's a GPW, so the frame is not open like the MB, will I need to modify the frame as well?
The Gunny
One of the Few

1943 Ford GPW

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 am

You will need to trim the frame reinforcing there, the hole is teardrop looking, alter it a little, give it some free room so it will not bind if tranny mounts are flexing a little, if tranny and t case and engine are in there, it is easy to locate. Captive nuts should be on the bracket, just drill 2 holes of where you want it.
if u lowered the tranny and the t case sits lower than stock location you will need to lower the bracket that much. Without knowing how u lowered the cross member, as i have seen hack jobs relocating the original cross member brackets, and spacers put in there and what not.
If you have the link from pedal assy, to the z bar, you can check that too, I have not seen any repo that are the correct length and the geometry gets all out of wack.

Adam

Gunny
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Gunny » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:39 pm

Thank you.
The Gunny
One of the Few

1943 Ford GPW

Sargent Resorator
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sargent Resorator » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:23 pm

I have a 44 GPW with a T-90 in a 43 frame. It was very easy to move the crossmember and clutch linkage. I will post pictures or PM or PM for a call for info. I am very Happy with the results.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:45 am

I had a '45 GPW with a T90 (and a CJ2A transfer case with internal expanding parking brake) and IIRC the pivot bracket was simply moved back by using the original rear hole and captive nut as the front hole, and a new hole drilled for the new rear hole. It had a (lower drop) CJ2A crossmember and (high clearance) CJ transmission cover, with the rearmost portion of the transmission access hole in the body/floor cut slightly and bent up under the 2A cover. I didn't do it, but I did leave it that way because it all fit and worked just fine. I sold it over 20 years ago so no chance for pictures.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Sargent Resorator
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sargent Resorator » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:04 pm

Did you mount the t-90 in the Gpw frame? My jeep is drivable with a T-90. If you need anything let me know. No problem.

BERLIN RED
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by BERLIN RED » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:20 am

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone lowered a t90 in an MB/Gpw to the point where it looks stock from above?

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 am

I dont think you can go that low,, engine head will hit firewall and the fan blade angle will so out of place. Might be able to lower everything if you redo motor mounts, then other issues arrise.

Adam

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”