12 Volt Alternator

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Gunny
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

12 Volt Alternator

Post by Gunny » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:00 am

Greetings All,

I want to go with the 12 volt alternator, I did a search on this subject and came up with 670 references, needless to say I don' t have the time to read all of them. I wish to know how to go about this process, what recommendations if any. Has anyone done this swap lately, and does RFJP sell the alternator, bracket and voltmeter?
The Gunny
One of the Few

1943 Ford GPW

Jim Thomason
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: 12 Volt Alternator

Post by Jim Thomason » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 am

Alternator for John Deere Tractor 63 Amp, Delco 1-Wire 1/2 Inch Pulley ; ADR0188

Gunny; This or similar should work for you. Mount to (on) your origional gen bracket using a threaded rod (with locking nuts) and line it up with the belt. Run the one wire (10 ga) from the alternator stud to the battery connector on the origional regulator, remove the F and the A wires (not needed). The voltage regulator is not part of the electric regulating system and-- if you prefer-- could be removed also--just connect the battery wire -- that is origionally connected to the regulator -- directly to the alternator. This unit is set up to run an "A" belt (1/2") . I have been using DB Electrical-- found on the internet (E--y and other places) for my needs. This is not an add for them -- there probably are vendors closer to you. BE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS INSTALLED WITH NEGATIVE GROUND.
The origional Amp gage is an "AMP" measuring unit and voltage does not matter. You can continue to use it. Installing a VOLT gage is not difficult--but does require a small change of the wiring under the dash. Jim Thomason

Alternator for John Deere Tractor 63 Amp, Delco 1-Wire 1/2 Inch Pulley ; ADR0188
Item #: 400-12396
DB Electrical alternators are highly engineered for excellence in performance.
Built to Beat the Heat: High temperature epoxy and high temperature grease withstand extreme heat
Heavy-duty rectifiers and high-quality regulators enhance superior charging performance
Most alternators are supplied with final test results and performance curve
Direct-fit replacement and easy installation made possible with OEM fitment specifications
Factory direct, money-saving alternator typically priced substantially less than OEM counterparts
Check if this fits your vehicle
Order today to get this price.

$74.67 & FREE SHIPPING
Next Day Air Shipping for $35
Order by 3 hrs 39 mins 58 secs
Current Stock:
Quantity:
Decrease Quantity:
Increase Quantity:
PRODUCT INFO

PART REPLACEMENT LIST

POLICY INFORMATION

Jim Thomason
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jim Thomason » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:46 am

viewtopic.php?t=107172 also has pictures and info on this.

Depending on the width belt you are using; you could also go to DBElectric and find the alternator with a 5/8" width pulley -- about same price.
Jim T

Gunny
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Gunny » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:45 am

Thank you!
The Gunny
One of the Few

1943 Ford GPW

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Go down about 10 post on the this Modification page and there is a post " Alternator that looks like a generator".
Info on an alternator in a generator housing.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Jim Thomason
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jim Thomason » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:34 am

Another thought. When / if converting from 6 volt to 12 volt. If your 6 volt gas gage still works it will need a voltage reducer. There are several "old Chevy truck" vendors that have a voltage reducer for about $6.00. Goes in the hot wire between the Ign switch and the gage. Another meathod is to use a power reduction module , as seen on E--y (e--y item number:193831332180 ). NOT pushing products at that web site or any vendor---just a picture is worth 1000 words.

Gunny
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Gunny » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:22 pm

Thank you, I already purchased a 12 volt gauge.
The Gunny
One of the Few

1943 Ford GPW

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”