Flat head V8 GPW conversion

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Paul'sGPW45
G-Civilian

Flat head V8 GPW conversion

Post by Paul'sGPW45 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

I apologise in advance if this topic has already received attention. My GPW 1945 currently has a cracked block with rusted through water jackets. I discovered today that my spare block is also cracked. I am aware of the newly manufactured blocks designed in the US and cast in China. I have heard that these new block are quiet reliable. Has anyone on the forum any experience with a:

1. Ford flathead v8 conversion
2. Potential suppliers of conversion kits
3. Whether the rest of the GPW driveline is up to it? (Personally I doubt it)
4. Engine fit into the bay
5. Any other valuable information

I realise the GPW's value is its originality, I don't wont to start a flame war as I'm just looking for some advice or a link to some info.

Thanks in advance

Paul

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Flat head V8 GPW conversion

Post by parker007 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 pm

I don't recommend any conversion but, if you decide to do a toyota 4cy, or diesel seem to be way to go. ford flathead so heavy and not much power.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:19 am

I see this is your first post; welcome. Everyone here is focused on restoring military vehicles to original configuration. Where are you? Best to put that in your profile so someone near can help you.
Your blocks can be repaired; do not scrap them. GPW blocks are getting scarce. Cracks can be stitched, and bores can be sleeved. Abrahams does it.
The new cast blocks are post war configuration I recall, but I hear they work.
Flame war? You came to the wrong place to even suggest a V8 conversion.
NO one here will advise that. NO one. You will instantly destroy a valuable collectors item. Even putting a flathead CJ engine in it is better.
If you want power, get something else to butcher.
Not flaming; just opinion. And advice. Once you cut them up, you can't go back. You instantly convert a historical item to scrap metal worth a fraction. Either restore it or sell it so someone who can.
Everyone here will be glad to help you restore it, but will not help you destroy it.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

IvorGPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by IvorGPW » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:20 am

I would suggest you find a suitable l134 and install it and enjoy driving while also saving your pennies to have repair work done on your WW2 blocks. I see nothing wrong with running a CJ block, I do in a couple of my jeeps. The jeep police will probably freak out but who cares.

I think the flathead V8 conversion is cool on paper but quite complicated to manage otherwise. To my knowledge there are no kits you can purchase to do the swap. If you really want a swap I would recommend diesel or dauntless v6 but I have never seen the need to swap.
Tate Christensen
1944 Ford GPW #234613 USMC Radio jeep
1943 Willys MB #263100
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
1941 Ford GP #9687
1941 Willys MB #100161

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:19 am

Small block chevy conversions were the norm in the 70's and 80's. I have one sitting here with all the adapters except for the motor mounts to do a swap. advance adapters have all the stuff, or just find an old flatfender that was done years ago and gut that. CJ2A page has lots of advice on that. Dauntless v6 from a cj5 has everything you would need to go with that. I an looking for a v6 setup right now.
On the other hand you can just find another L-134 to put in her. Your jeep, do as you see fit.
Adam

Paul'sGPW45
G-Civilian

Post by Paul'sGPW45 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi Everyone, thanks for your great advice and responses. My preference is to restore the GPW with an original L-134. My GPW has been in my family since the Australian Air Force sold the vehicle to F&D Motors in Brisbane in the early 1960s. My Dad restored it 1995 and it was his daily driver until he died in 2015. The tough old bloke was riddled with cancer at 75 and changed the starter motor out of it the carpark at his local shopping centre 3 weeks before he died. He too was 'Jeep Police' and would be raining down fire and brimstone on me for even raising the question. He also restored a SWB Chev Blitz and Dodge 6x6 Weapons Carrier. He was a military vehicle fanatic. The problem I have with the Chinese block is that while it may look original it isn't. And the value of the vehicle is reduced regardless. On the other hand, if I repair the original block there is no guarantee the repairs will last, especially with regards to cracks. Please, no-one frett I will not cut my GPW up under ANY circumstances. I was merely considering options. Nor will I ever sell it or the old blocks. Even if I buy and use a new block the old blocks will be repaired as spares. Oh and I'm in Victoria Australia.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Whew! Glad to hear that.
The new blocks are not WW2 configuration so there is no mistaking one for original. Still better than a V8; any L134 is.
As for repairs, a properly stitched and sleeved WW2 block will be reliable.
Lots of WW2 jeep owners in Aus.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

reusablem.com
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by reusablem.com » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:47 am

I have seen the willys jeeps out in the US fitted with the dauntless v6 odd fire engines, they are the best driving fun you can get, buckets of torque and fit nicely into the little flat fender cj and m38 jeeps, the stronger t90 gearbox and back axle could take the extra 100hp ok , they were actually an optional factory extra on the cj5 jeeps and re named the dauntless v6, I think they put them into many American cars back in the Day, they were hugely powerful and economical and sounded like a racing cam drag car engine on tick over due to the odd fire configuration, they were re manufactured for the Kieser jeeps option in the fuel crisis
If any of you have a dauntless engined cj jeep you would sell i would love one for summer driving around the lanes, massive power and torque

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:50 pm

There's a guy selling conversion parts to put a Kubota 4 cy diesel in jeeps. Based in Canada. Same HP, Same engine weight, more torque, double the fuel economy. Basically a bolt in.

http://overlanddiesel.com/
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:15 pm

Modify all the CJs you want but please do not butcher a 45 GPW. They are not making them any more.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:45 pm

Paul,

I am also in Central Victoria, get in touch and I can point you in the direction of a guy who knows these engines as well as anyone.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:34 pm

Why not posting a few photos of the cracks in your two blocks?
The technology to repair these cracks is available to help you.
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Jim Bow
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Jim Bow » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:38 pm

There's a CJ2A on YouTube in which the owner replaced everything with parts from a Mahindra Roxor. The result? Diesel power, 60 mph, disc brakes, and a patina to be proud of.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Support Our Troops.
Bring Them Home.

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 am

What you didnt say is if either of the "bad" blocks are the original numbers matching block to the jeep? If so, the value of the jeep with its original motor would warrant spending more on saving the block. Numbers matching GPW = 2X$ of non matching GPW in same condition. Just an opinion.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:13 am

Do you really think you will get 2x it value with a matching Ford engine,

got a title for this? what does it look like?
is the engine with the rusted through water jackets a ford? nobody will buy it, even after resleved if you disclose the water jackets were rusted through. Other engine another story.

Buy a cj with a title that has the v6 conversion done, an older conversion, and swap the stuff.

buy a welder or generator with the ww2 engine or cj type engine and put that in.

With 2 bad motors now, have you ever seen this jeep move, you can put 15K into a rustbucket and still have that.

Bottom line, its your jeep, do as you wish,

Adam

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”