Willys Jeep bustle racks on british willys /ford

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
ErikMax
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Willys Jeep bustle racks on british willys /ford

Post by ErikMax » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:51 am

Anyone seen a pics of bustle racks on british
Marked willys / Ford ww2

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: Willys Jeep bustle racks on british willys /ford

Post by Rod Rushton » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:02 pm

I guess you are wanting to know if they were produced during the War. I'm guessing various forms of them were made specially in the workshops, but I do not think they were in use in numbers.
I have made ones using the Jeep Draw drawings which I understand were based on ones in use by GI's during the war, and several of the parts suppliers have produced versions to sell, often with the waterproof canvas bag - which usually matches the weather equipment. There is no doubt they are quite popular these days for practical purposes, especially to accommodate camping gear etc.
To answer the question would be "There might have been", and if so were probably copies fabricated in base workshops, or even by the troops themselves, however it might even have been frowned upon and considered to be an offence to modify Government Property!!
Rod Rushton - Winner 2013 MVT Wilkinson Sword Trophy
Exeter Devon UK
FORD GPW 202055 DoD 5 - 22 - 44 Serial# 20534360
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43
Piper Cub 1944 L4H 480015 G-AKIB

1942 CHEVROLET G506 CARGO. #2NM 213219
1943 AUSTIN LIGHT UTILITY M6448770

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Willys Jeep bustle racks on british willys /ford

Post by pgcf » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:51 am

I have never seen one. IMHO the British did not use the US style field modification. Using a trailer makes more sense and is less cumbersome.

The British Airborne created many purpose-built brackets and attachments which are well documented. Their rule was it had to fit into a Horsa glider. Those drawings and pictures are available in the book on British Airborne modifications by Rob van Meel.

The closest thing for the British I have seen is a storage rack on the rear that folds up when not in use. This was used by the Airborne. You could store a couple of panniers on it or whatever else you could strap on. This precludes the use of a trailer.

In order to mount this you have to remove the spare tyre and jerry can bracket. Both of these were considered standard modifications by the British Airborne.

The problem with the US bustle rack is it impedes access to the spare tyre and jerry can.

In the end it is your jeep, build it the way you like.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”