Thumb screws holding inner windshield, arms

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
cjv-35
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Thumb screws holding inner windshield, arms

Post by cjv-35 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Got tired of those thumb screws which hold the inner windshield arms for no matter how tight I get them, the inner windshield still rattles when closed. Replaced those with some plastic wing bolts that hold lawn mower arms together. What a difference. One can tighten the wing nuts much tighter than those mickey mouse thumb screws. No more rattle. Painted OD, they look great. I know, not for you "purists" but in my opinion, much more functional.

43 REME WILLYS
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Thumb screws holding inner windshield, arms

Post by 43 REME WILLYS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:37 pm

What a great idea cjv-35, I always hated those darn thumb screws coming loose as I was driving around and the arms stretching out. Someone told me that Willy's and Ford had installed wave washers behind the thumb screws and so I tried that out and it works very well and it keeps the thumb screws nice and tight.

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 am

I believe I saw a kit containing the "wave" washers on the RFJP site, and yes they do help prevent the knobs from loosening due to vibration.

This is one reason I think that Willys installed a latch, in place of the drawer pull handle, on the CJ2A windshield.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee
Shade Tree Mechanic more than 50 years.
None of us are as smart as we pretend to be.

boyerm007
G-Civilian

Post by boyerm007 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 am

43 REME WILLYS wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:37 pm
What a great idea cjv-35, I always hated those darn thumb screws coming rachat crédit locataire loose as I was driving around and the arms stretching out. Someone told me that Willy's and Ford had installed wave washers behind the thumb screws and so I tried that out and it works very well and it keeps the thumb screws nice and tight.
This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Ron's rebuild kit for the inner windshield tip out arm assemblies work to prevent rattle...missing some of the components allows the rattle and loosening of the thumbscrews allows them to vibrate loose even further...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”