dana 18 mounted disk brake

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

dana 18 mounted disk brake

Post by rondo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:25 am

Can anyone tell me if there's a kit for a disk mounted park brake for the dana spicer 18 transfer case?

Safety is #1 for my family. I envision this would be a modification that is easily reversed later (for the purists) and in the meantime, a park brake that works even after the tcase starts to inevitably leak.

In my internet searches i've found a couple home brew jobs but i wonder if anyone makes a bolt on kit, or if you've done it at home...

thanks! :D
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: dana 18 mounted disk brake

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:13 am

Maybe some of the parts from an early M998 HUMVEE would work, with mods, as they used a disc type park brake on the rear diff input.

The park brake system from the later M38-A1 actually works very well, and may be easier to get and use. The rear output housing would need to be changed on the t-case.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

griffo220
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by griffo220 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:07 am

Hey rondo, a company in the UK makes disc brake conversions for old land rovers so try them.

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-BrakeRR.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave
April 1943 GPW 108779
REME 10 cwt stores trailer (work in progress)
BSA parabike
1942 WLA type 1a

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 am

thanks for the replies. I'm still researching this but i've come up with very little. I'll post it here when i figure it out.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm under the impression that disc brakes don't make good parking brakes, because of the high line pressures that must be maintained. The vehicles I've worked on with rear disc brakes seem always to have a small drum park brake system built in.

Of course I might be confused.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 am

I'm not really tracking with what you're saying Alan but i could be confused too. The disk brake (ebrake or park brake) would be used with a cable, same as the drum. When i built my Nissan Frontier i converted the rear 1 ton dana 60 to disk brakes, and used caddilac calipers for the ebrake.
Fact is i've hit a complete dead end on finding a kit; except for a generic kit i found which requires extensive mods and cost over $300. Now i'm thinking of finding a motorcycle shop/ATV joint and using a small disk from that.
42 GPW; 41WC6

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm

I've never seen a cable/mechanical linkage for moving the pads on a disc brake system - at least, not on anything other than a bicycle. The stuff I've seen are all hydraulic - thus my comment about line pressures.

Maybe adapt something from a motorcycle? Heck, even a bicycle rotor & caliper system might work. They are sometimes mounted on tandem bikes, which can have gross weight of 500 lbs or more (riders, gear and bike weight combined). If you want it just for a static hold, the bike system might provide enough power. The rotor would be about the right size to fit, too.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:42 am

Good advice alan, i may check into the bike route. I guess after i read my post it sounds confusing; The disk brakes on the pickup are hydraulic. However the e-brake is mechanical, just as it is with a drum style. Therefore there is a cable running from the cab to the mechanic linkage on the calipers. This what i intend for the dana18. My hope is that the stock line will work, and require no modification to the cable. Getting a custom cable made is pricey!
An alternative i suppose is a line lock but i've heard that's not reliable.
42 GPW; 41WC6

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Good luck with it! That's something I would be interested in for a cj-3A I have.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 pm

tamnalan wrote:I'm under the impression that disc brakes don't make good parking brakes, because of the high line pressures that must be maintained. The vehicles I've worked on with rear disc brakes seem always to have a small drum park brake system built in.

Of course I might be confused.
Disc brakes are "better" than drums because they can take a lot of pressure without locking up (several times the pressure of a drum brake). That said, it can take more pressure applied to the pads to make the rotor stop moving. That's why you typically will not see discs used as parking brakes.

In a drum brake system, as you apply pressure, the braking action itself applies additional braking pressure, assisting in the stopping of the drum.

John 63
G-Major
G-Major

Post by John 63 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 am

Rondo,

Check with a turf equipment dealer. We have a few Cushman trucksters and at least 2 of them use a driveshaft mounted disk type parking brake. It is cable operated.

They work well enough that we have locked up the drive shaft on dry asphalt. This causes one of the rear wheels to keep turning forward while the other spins backwards. Not a good thing to do....but we sometimes get a bit over-zealous in our test drives!

The trucksters are relatively small units and use a small disk and caliper setup. As long as you could get the disk mounted to the t-case output yoke I don't think you'ld have to much of a problem fabricating a mount for the caliper.
John Hemming

GPW 53025
20136538 S
DoD 07/30/1942

GPW 110821
DoD 05/1943

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 am

Just pointing out that halftracks use the disc type parking brake. It uses no cable, simply mechanical linkage applied by the handle throught the floorboards. Once set a disc prkg brake is better than a drum set-up.Definitely not designed to be an emergency brake but a parking brake for sure.
Kevin.
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

r40ford
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by r40ford » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am

This is way out of date but might be something to look into. In the late 70's I was living/working in the Lake Tahoe basin . A friends Subaru (a sport model AWD with the open back end. The front discs were set up with a cable and cam acuated parking brakes. He had set them one day in the winter and called me because he couldn't understand why his vehicle wouldn't move the next morning. The cams were frozen solid with ice and wouldn't release. This might be an avenue to look into??? I'm sure it would take some engineeringa and machine work no matter what is used to adapt to the jeep. Good Luck with your hunt.

Regards
Bill
Bill
I've never met anyone I couldn't like, until proven wrong.

USN ADJ2 67-71
GPW 178896 probable 1-27-44 to 2-14-44 DOD ??
frame off completed 4/15 USN
MVPA #22119 MVCC 12480

Divinitous
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Divinitous » Tue May 10, 2011 6:54 am

Crazy idea but what about taking a spicer 18h pto output and modifying that. I imagine the cheap and dirty way would be to take a damaged one and weld the shaft to the housing for parking ONLY. Crap, I'm thinking like Bubba.

On second though this is a terrible idea.

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 am

Time to bring the dead thread back to life. I'm going forward with this mod. I now have the Tom Woods kit in my hot little hands. http://www.4xshaft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it was a tad pricey but after looking for a long time, this seems to be the ticket. it's very high quality and fits the output flange like a glove. Downside is we couldn't turn the disk down to make it fit inside the drum brake brackets. I'll cut those off with a sawzall. Luckily i've got several laying around the garage. I hate to do this to ww2 parts but oh well.
I have to fab my own brackets and will probably go off the bolts that hold the PTO cover on. Just need a day off to get this done.
In my mind having a disk brake is far better than a drum. And there are no competitions that this jeep will enter fortunately.
This is a pic of the set up from their site. it's a simple cable actuated brake.
Attachments
p%20rotor2%20copy[1].jpg
p%20rotor2%20copy[1].jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”