Deep waterproofing

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Deep waterproofing

Post by nick peters » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 am

Hello
Does anyone happen to have information/documentation entitled niv 5135
it relates to the fitting of an accelarator lever for use during deep water driving. wading ashore.It was possibly only issued for willys/ford jeeps used by the british canadian forces prior to d day.Im hoping there are photos showing installation/location of lever ect.Any info appreciated.
regards Nick

Derek Eddlestone
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Deep waterproofing

Post by Derek Eddlestone » Fri May 15, 2009 8:28 am

Nick,

I had the pleasure of knowing someone who spent weeks practicing and preparing a jeep for surf landing in Normandy. On the day he barely got the wheels wet. It was clearly explained to me that the driver would sit on the back of the seat and hold the windshield to steady himself. Approaching the beach with the engine warmed up the driver would adjust the hand throttle to allow the jeep to make progress in 1st gear until the vehicle emerged from the deep water and proper control could resume. Prior to leaving the ramp he'd practiced dipping the clutch and engaging 1st gear before perching back on the seat back and steering the jeep with his feet as it shot off the Landing Craft ramp...... and hoping his head would be above water. Bill was in the Royal Corps of Signals but other units may have had different arrangements.
One thing that amused Bill when he looked at my jeep was the star on the hood. I used a stencil. Bill was given a 4" brush and told to use his imagination.
Goodnight Bill Bradford.

Derek.

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Fri May 15, 2009 9:55 am

Hello Derek
Thanks for your imput.Your friend must have had a good sence of balance,Dont think id like to drive a jeep down a ramp,and steer with your feet :roll: The reason why i posted the request,was that years ago i obtained a number of boxes wrapped in cosmoline,they came from a little engineering company (long since demolished)each kit was labelled up 'basic waterproofing supplementary kit LV6/mt1 niv5135 Ford-Willys jeep.
contents were listed niv 5142 cable bowden outer 5143 cable bowden inner 5144 air lever 5145 nipple 5175 clip jubilee and 3109 oiled cotton fabric. The old guy i got them off told me they were manufacturing these parts late in 43, early 44. and they were to be used instead of the conventional acclerator pedal, as he had seen a jeep at the factory which had ben fitted with this kit, but he had no other information hence the reason for my previous post. I think you and I used to speak on the telephone about jeep tools. years ago. not many people were interested in tools at that time. are you from Southampton area ? Thanks for the imput regards |Nick

Derek Eddlestone
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Derek Eddlestone » Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Nick,

It probably was me that you used to talk about tools to and I'd imagine Steve Rivers featured in the conversations as well. Steve Rivers, Robert Bolton and son Bob Bolton put me on the road to tool collecting at a time as you said, no-one was interested in them.
The waterproofing kit you mention has been a mystery for many years and now that you've prompted me to open one, I'll see what the lever is meant to be clamped to. As far as I'm aware the British didn't change engine parts so all I have to do is find something square to attach the clamp to. As for the rest of the waterproofing, I was lucky enough to get one of the crates marked 'Fording Kit Universal' containing enough items to waterproof a range of vehicles from Dodges down to jeeps and these 'Supplementary' kits weren't part of them.

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sun May 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Wow, thats impressive!! What are the flexible hoses made out of?
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Derek Eddlestone
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Derek Eddlestone » Sun May 17, 2009 2:30 pm

F. R. Fox wrote:Wow, thats impressive!! What are the flexible hoses made out of?
The Exhaust side is a metal flexible similar to what is available today and the Inlet pipework is a type of rubber reinforced with metal wire. Aside from those there are various diameters of rubber hose to accommodate the various vehicles in the 1/4 ton to 2&1/2 ton range that this kit was designed for.

Derek.

Grand Master Splash
G-Civilian

Post by Grand Master Splash » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:17 am

Derek Eddlestone wrote:
Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm
Hi Nick,

It probably was me that you used to talk about tools to and I'd imagine Steve Rivers featured in the conversations as well. Steve Rivers, Robert Bolton and son Bob Bolton put me on the road to tool collecting at a time as you said, no-one was interested in them.
The waterproofing kit you mention has been a mystery for many years and now that you've prompted me to open one, I'll see what the lever is meant to be clamped to. As far as I'm aware the British didn't change engine parts so all I have to do is find something square to attach the clamp to. As for the rest of the waterproofing, I was lucky enough to get one of the crates marked 'Fording Kit Universal' containing enough items to waterproof a range of vehicles from Dodges down to jeeps and these 'Supplementary' kits weren't part of them.

Hi Derek,

I note with interest your posted images online of original WW2 waterproofing kit.

I am researching the footsteps of my Father-in-law during WW2 he was in the REME based at M.E. 13 No.1 Experimental Workshops (Wading) Weymouth testing waterproofing methods and procedures in preparation for the D-Day landings.

Would it be possible to get a PDF copy of the instructions in the WP Kit?

If that's difficult could I possibly take some photographs of the kit and the instructions, I am located just up the road form you at Basingstoke?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike (Grand Master Splash & His Furious Ride)

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:58 pm

Mike,

I have a spare copy of the manual from this kit if you are interested.

Send me a PM. Very cool that you are researching your Dad's war time service.

Cheers,
Peter

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:11 pm

pgcf wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:58 pm
Mike,

I have a spare copy of the manual from this kit if you are interested.

Send me a PM. Very cool that you are researching your Dad's war time service.

Cheers,
Peter
It would be nice to share that doc file on G503 by zipping the file and attaching it to a post.
Yves
Last edited by YLG80 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Tuareg
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tuareg » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:14 am

Very good information here

Thanks
Willys MB
DOD 27 july 1942
TUB 63439
CHASIS MB161718
Estimated Hood number very high 20214xxx to very low 20215xxx
Probably 1st Armored Division, Operation Torch, still doing research.
Probably Diplomatic number plate by French Government in Morocco. Still doing research. Any information is welcome!

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:47 pm

Yves,

I don't scan my manuals, in ruins the binding. If you want a copy for your collection I am happy to sell you one.

You are welcome to do whatever you want with it.

Cheers,
Peter

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:31 pm

pgcf wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:47 pm
Yves,

I don't scan my manuals, in ruins the binding. If you want a copy for your collection I am happy to sell you one.

You are welcome to do whatever you want with it.

Cheers,
Peter
OK, Peter, no worry. I agree with the binding problem when you scan thick manuals :D .
Yves
serial 164794

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:28 am

Yves,

Thanks for understanding.

The jeep potion is in the combination manual, Complete WW2 Military Jeep Manual. This is the one that has the TM9-803, 1803A and 1803B.

Cheers,
Peter

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:59 pm

pgcf wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:28 am
Yves,

Thanks for understanding.

The jeep potion is in the combination manual, Complete WW2 Military Jeep Manual. This is the one that has the TM9-803, 1803A and 1803B.

Cheers,
Peter
Thanks for the information. I have that book!👍
That’s indeed a very thick book that would be very difficult to scan without damaging the binding.
Yves
serial 164794

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”