Painted license plates?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
DWesol
SGT/USMC
SGT/USMC

Re: Painted license plates?

Post by DWesol » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:22 pm

Thanks Ray,
The Wisconsin Historic MV plates are non expiring. Any wheeled HMV is eligible. Initial registration & title cost is higher. If you have Wisconsin blue w/red Collector plates, or other Wisconsin plates and title, you can get the HMV Plates to replace them for $5.

No other non historic mods like turn signals need to be added. Whatever configuration it rolled offthe assembly line with, is how it remains for road use.
1942 GPW 55791 DOD 8-12-42 USA # 20144366 (Original)
1943 Bantam T 3 21392 DOD 6-21-43 USA # 0270225 (Original)
Midwest Military Vehicle Association - www.MMVA.us
MVPA 28115
www.MVPA.org/Oshkosh

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:30 pm

I can't speak for every state, but I understand that many states have laws that prevent you from using even specialty plates that are repainted to another color (usually, I guess, for folks with hot rods who want everything to match in color).
Scratch wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:29 pm
Just found out that Wisconsin has historic military vehicle plates in OD for 5 bucks! Problem solved!
Wow, that is cool. I've never heard of that.
Like others have said of their own states, WA allows you to register an antique vehicle with a plate for its manufactured year. But neater still, they'll allow any WW2 era vehicle to be registered and plated for 1942. Those plates aren't hard to find. 1944, though, it really hard to find and a 1943 WA metal plate is almost as rare as unicorn poop. It's one of the rarest plates ever made, with only a few hundred made at all (and of course, most of the few existing ones are prized in plate collections).
So, my 1944 MB has a WA plate for 1942 (though not the county in which I reside, as I've never seen one for that county and that year for sale) on the driver-side bumperette on the rear. I'd found a matched set when I first bought my Jeep in 1999, and the other hangs on the garage wall just in case someone steals it at a show someday. I sometimes remove the plate if I just trailer it to display the Jeep...
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:01 am

Lee Bishop wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:30 pm
I can't speak for every state, but I understand that many states have laws that prevent you from using even specialty plates that are repainted to another color (usually, I guess, for folks with hot rods who want everything to match in color).
Scratch wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:29 pm
Just found out that Wisconsin has historic military vehicle plates in OD for 5 bucks! Problem solved!
Wow, that is cool. I've never heard of that.
Like others have said of their own states, WA allows you to register an antique vehicle with a plate for its manufactured year. But neater still, they'll allow any WW2 era vehicle to be registered and plated for 1942. Those plates aren't hard to find. 1944, though, it really hard to find and a 1943 WA metal plate is almost as rare as unicorn poop. It's one of the rarest plates ever made, with only a few hundred made at all (and of course, most of the few existing ones are prized in plate collections).
So, my 1944 MB has a WA plate for 1942 (though not the county in which I reside, as I've never seen one for that county and that year for sale) on the driver-side bumperette on the rear. I'd found a matched set when I first bought my Jeep in 1999, and the other hangs on the garage wall just in case someone steals it at a show someday. I sometimes remove the plate if I just trailer it to display the Jeep...
Hello Lee,

Not sure about your state, but later in WW2 some states just added a small clip on metal date tag to the expired tag, with a new year.
If they did that, you could get the add on small date tag to ad to your jeep's story.

Best Regards,
Ray

eod1
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by eod1 » Thu May 30, 2024 3:22 pm

Here in AZ we have this plate.
Attachments
license-plate-historic-vehicle.jpg
Retired
1/75 RGR Regt