Looking for ideas for 6v LED brake, tail, and turn signals.

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Jop
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: Looking for ideas for 6v LED brake, tail, and turn signals.

Post by Jop » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:23 pm

Cool solution Jonp!
Willys MB 111909

Jop
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Jop » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:25 pm

David wrote:If I remember correctly this was a requirement when the jeep was registered back in 1997, and then we still had to do the yearly MOT. I'm actually happy with the indicators there, they are not obtrusive (quite discrete even) and visible from both front and side when flashing. It's making it all work with a repro wire harnass that's the hard bit

Buy YLG's scheme will be a great help with that! :P
Yeah, looks great on your slattie!
Willys MB 111909

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:46 pm

Just two weeks back I received a set of bike LED lamps with a small round controller I intend on mounting to a magnet then the dash and tailights as needed.
These are rechargeable via USB cable, and I can remove them for shows or another vehicle as needed.
You can research your own, many styles out there most are under $50 now.
here's one I bought that was neat
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394652347439?var=663213047407
Turn sig.jpg
6 pcs $49 on Ebay
I bought this set that had a cluster of three lights, two yellow and center red which detach from each other to mount on the sides and center.
Another single red cluster model had a neat little lever turn device which could have a glued magnet on the back and act just like a real set of turn signals do except the cancel function wouldn't.
Trying to figure a way to reshape them into round style Stimson sized discs which would basically hide them if left on the vehicle as well.

Alas the enemy known as time, I'm redoing my storage area and small projects are on hold, like the replica Willard battery casing I want to install a 12V motorcycle or one of those secondary batteries from a start/stop at idle vehicle uses to augment their main battery inside VS the 6V Optima's everyone's using for their 6V applications.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:28 pm

Thank you everyone who replied. I have had a lot of things come up on my plate since I posted this, and have not had the time to dig into it yet. I will for sure read this, and probably post some updates when I start work on it.

The main problem I have found is that 6volt LED's seem harder to find. Everyone stocks 12v, and some places try to infer that you can use 12v for 6v, but I've also read a lot of people saying the 12v leds running on 6v will either not work at all, or work so poorly it defeats the purpose of using LED. I'm trying to keep my wiring harness intact, but clearly for the taillights and brake lights I will have to make a new harness and tie it in. I don't have a trailer socket, but it shouldn't be too hard to wire it up from the existing set up. I will probably add a lightbar somewhere on the rear panel as a third (middle) tail/brakelight. The stock tail/brake lights I have not decided yet. Several years ago I saw some posts here and on facebook where at least two or three people made their own led brake or taillights using the stock reflector housings, but I can't seem to find those flat LED panels to look into that further (might be a search keyword issue).

I found an old aftermarket Sparton turn signal switch that came with the jeep, but I will have to look into that further. Think it has three wires for a three position switch. Haven't tested it, and it might prove too bulky and get in the way of knees. :lol:
Old GPW.

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:19 pm

OldGPW wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:28 pm
Thank you everyone who replied. I have had a lot of things come up on my plate since I posted this, and have not had the time to dig into it yet. I will for sure read this, and probably post some updates when I start work on it.

The main problem I have found is that 6volt LED's seem harder to find. Everyone stocks 12v, and some places try to infer that you can use 12v for 6v, but I've also read a lot of people saying the 12v leds running on 6v will either not work at all, or work so poorly it defeats the purpose of using LED. I'm trying to keep my wiring harness intact, but clearly for the taillights and brake lights I will have to make a new harness and tie it in. I don't have a trailer socket, but it shouldn't be too hard to wire it up from the existing set up. I will probably add a lightbar somewhere on the rear panel as a third (middle) tail/brakelight. The stock tail/brake lights I have not decided yet. Several years ago I saw some posts here and on facebook where at least two or three people made their own led brake or taillights using the stock reflector housings, but I can't seem to find those flat LED panels to look into that further (might be a search keyword issue).

I found an old aftermarket Sparton turn signal switch that came with the jeep, but I will have to look into that further. Think it has three wires for a three position switch. Haven't tested it, and it might prove too bulky and get in the way of knees. :lol:
Hello,
If you search on amazon with the keyword 6V led bulb, you will find standard 6V LED bulbs type P21W or other.

Yes , it’s not that difficult to modify the tail stock housing for LED. You just need to carefully uncrimp the housing cover and use a soldering iron with Sn/Pb solder to change the bulbs.
Yves
Ford GPW 164794 1/4T 12-7-43 -  »Sweet Lou » for my wife!
ACM I body#198443
Restored as 1st Army 759th LT B21
ON6YD(ex YB1AUH) MVPA38444

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 pm

Here's something I came up with a while back. It's kept me safe so far:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=285926
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:45 pm

tamnalan wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 pm
Here's something I came up with a while back. It's kept me safe so far:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=285926
Thanks! I'll have a look at it.
Old GPW.

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”