Saturn Overdrive Question

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Saturn Overdrive Question

Post by rogerse » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:31 pm

I did a search first but didn’t see a thread on putting one of these in a 42 GPW...

Are they worth the 1200 bucks and does anyone else have an alternative to the third lever?

Has anyone ever had one and driven with one?

Thanks.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Saturn Overdrive Question

Post by Adam » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:49 pm

There are articles around on these, you need the correct bowl gear count to match the ww2 tranny if that is what is in there.

I have been using one for 20 some years, got it used from Herm for 600 or so back then.

You only have a little bit of hp in the jeep and higher gear ratios in the rear so in OD high and hills you may have to down shift. I dont like doing 50 or 60 in these jeeps anyway so you determine if you need one. Set it up correctly, keep oil filled and it will last for years.

You gotta shift it some how, so you need the stick. If you dont want to see it, put a bigger pipe on the shaft at the bottom, hide it in the shifter boots, and just drop the shifter in the pipe when you want to use it.

If you buy a used one, make sure nothing is rusted in there or the small planetary gears are all in good shape.

Adam

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:50 pm

I had one in a cj2a and i loved it. It shifted really smooth and fast, so barley need the clutch, and if you drive much you you can split the gear getting rid of the annoying to high or to low 3 speed.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:10 pm

Never heard of such a thing and just can't imagine going fast enough to need an overdrive. Around here you will be killed faster, by going, fast. Drivers are careless, and crazy. Maybe they are different in CA. (they aren't)
Ok; Ohio.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:36 pm

Yes, you have a choice, but your driveshaft might be too small. I had a jeep
my brother built and he first put on the overdrive once found on Studebakers.

He hated it because no one could solve the vibration he had. Also,
it was of a pain to engage it. You had to release the gas pedal,
flip a switch.

You can't beat the Warn / Saturn overdrive. The best $200.00 dollars ever spent
on a overdrive. With the Chevy V8, it held up just great.

Warning.....Make sure you add some oil to compensate for it. Lack
of oil will kill them!!!
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:23 am

This probably should be in the modifications section, but, whatever. In my CJ with 5.38:1 gears I love it. I've driven from the Milwaukee, WI area to Utah, Colorado, and many places all over the Midwest with V6 power, the first time in 1981. I enjoy splitting the gears off-road too. But in a stock 134 flat head GPW and 4.88:1 gears I can't imagine ever using it unless you want to go fast downhill with the wind at your back (and no rollbar or seatbelts?). With the windshield up and the top on I don't like to go over 45 as it's rough on the top, and the windshield. That 4-banger will have to be in tip top condition to compensate for the added load at higher speeds too; lots of downshifting on hills. I think you'll be disappointed if you do.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:41 pm

Maybe U doing a lot of low gear driving? parades? off roading? syncros both ways so you can go from hi od first to low od first, without having to double clutch to get first from second while moving. Do you have correct parts on your 42 for tranny and t case and axles? Driveshaft dont matter like the stude and some of the other electric and aftermarket units, Borg Warner on the 2wd's Warn,, all range overdrive, replaces the output gear on the tranny in the t case. I have never seen a husky, but different parts, I think mine are all older warn units.

Is your t case out, not fun laying in the dirt putting in locking piece and setting installation depth, maybe a u tube install.

Adam

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:29 pm

My property in hills has a 3 mile dirt road that is 1200 feet elevation drop, when using the overdrive i can get a gear that im not on gas and not on brakes when going down, and when going up i can split so not pushing the motor.

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:52 am

Here are other posts related to that subject:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=164205&start=30
Search in modifications:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=164205
The best Saturn to buy is with the REAR take off not the FRONT.
More pictures of a control lever NOT up front, on page 3 near the bottom. Near the top pictures are removed by photobucket.

Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:56 am

Great articles! They even address the issues I mentioned concerning the windshield, canvas top, and horsepower. Modifications are never without consequences, mission creep. It looks like all the people who are satisfied with their overdrives (including me) have more modifications than just the overdrive. More horsepower, better brakes, removing the top and worrying about the windshield bending are on the top of the list. Oil migration that can lead to starving the overdrive is a major concern as well. Seatbelts and a rollbar might also be a legitimate concern at the higher attainable speeds. I really admire how Marty solved the shifter problem with the T84
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:57 pm

I have had my 42 GPW since I was 14 years of age and have driven it ever since 1985.

Other than a Bluetooth speaker to listen to music from my phone, I thought one of these Saturn ODs might be the second best thing I have come a crossed.

I have never enjoyed holding up traffic and semis but drive the wheels off as it is such a great little vehicle.

I live in a very flat area so hills are not a concern and I do a lot of parades, as we all do I imagine, for the Vets.

Thanks to you all who responded with your advice.

Maybe I will buy one this summer and report back.

ER

Tmroper
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Tmroper » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:03 am

A lot of people are using the od for highway speeds ,but I use mine mainly because I don't like to have the engine at high rpms while doing 45-50. With the od engaged at 45-50 it seems like its its happy place. Have to keep the old girl happy! Best mod I've done will do it to the rest of my fleet as money presents its self.

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:33 pm

I'm a big overdrive (OD) fan for our jeeps. I put one in before the 2017 MVPA Route 66 convoy and it really helped on that trip. I pull a small trailer and the OD is great for splitting gears on the hills. I also use it in 4wd low range off road, again for splitting gears. I found an early post-war transfer case that was drilled for both a T-84 and a T-90. This let me fit a 1.125" intermediate gear shaft and post-war gearing, which in-turn enables one to use the OD bowl gear for CJ-2A jeeps - they're much more common than the bowl gear for the wartime jeeps. An added benefit of that postwar case is that the low range ratio is lower than our war-time transfer cases have, which gives a lower crawl speed off-road. Those early post-war transfer cases are fairly common.

I've jeeped a lot with CJ-2A groups in my MB. Their lower 5.38 axle ratios fit the OD a little better, IMHO. Our 4.88 axle ratio is a bit much for the Go-Devil in overdrive at high road speeds.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:50 am

I have a 25% overdrive from Herm in my M201, use it to drive 50, so I can keep up with traffic, instead of causing dangerous situations with hazardous passings and emergency braking.

The shifter is situated beside the transfer case shifters, and doesn't look out of place. I considered a cable instead, mounted on the dashboard. Herm offers such a setup for the FC jeeps.

I also upped my compression to 7.84:1, that gives me a bit more power.

Mike's GPW'S
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Mike's GPW'S » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am

Herms the man for T-18 over drives. Both new and rebuilt used.
Herm Tilford
Brush Prairie WA
360-256-3843

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”