WISCONSIN DOT TO PROPOSE MV BAN

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: WISCONSIN DOT TO PROPOSE MV BAN

Post by StudebakerM275 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:42 am

Basicly what i got is there's 3 offices in the Madison area have your I's Dotted n your T's crossed and all it well . . .If 1 refuses to tag it then go on to the next i'll be getting collector plates so i don't it will draw much of any mind. . .worse case I have some family or friends from out of state tag it for me mail me my tag's ?
so with it being for "all vehicles" then i should recieve some thing in the mail for my 1962 GMC ? its been collector plated for several years now. . .

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1982 AMC-Jeep J/20 Honcho.
1988 AMC-Jeep V8 Comanche .
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

skinnedknuckles
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by skinnedknuckles » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:08 pm

StudebakerM275 wrote:Basicly what i got is there's 3 offices in the Madison area have your I's Dotted n your T's crossed and all it well . . .If 1 refuses to tag it then go on to the next i'll be getting collector plates so i don't it will draw much of any mind. . .worse case I have some family or friends from out of state tag it for me mail me my tag's ?
so with it being for "all vehicles" then i should recieve some thing in the mail for my 1962 GMC ? its been collector plated for several years now. . .

Mike
We have had good luck with the dot office on the East side just off of hwy 51. I just registered my deuces there 2 weeks ago and walked out with temp. plates in hand.This proposed law would be for vehicles built AFTER January 1968.
Good luck ,
Paul in Janesville, Wi
Paul in Janesville, Wi
Havin' fun turnin' wrenches and burnin' wire in Wisconsin

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:24 pm

after 1968. . .Very cool for once my Older then old stuff is paying off :shock: . . .

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:48 pm

I received this email from GovLiquidation today.
http://www.govliquidation.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear Valued Customer:

Many of you have heard recently about a new Wisconsin regulation, which would prohibit military vehicles manufactured after 1967 from being registered or titled in the State of Wisconsin. This regulation is known as Trans 123 and appears to be based on requirements identified in the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (the "Act"), although it also appears to go well beyond the language in the Act. The Military Vehicle Preservation Association has been instrumental in fighting this rulemaking and monitoring the rulemaking in other states. We encourage those who are concerned about their ability to register and title military vehicles to contact the Military Vehicle Preservation Association http://www.mvpa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to learn more about how you can stop regulations that would prohibit these historic and useful vehicles from traveling the nation's roads and highways.

Warmest Regards,

Government Liquidation

Government Liquidation
15051 N. Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
480-367-1300
Roy

dick dobs
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by dick dobs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Paul, you posted we have until the 31st to e-mail ant more questions.
What are the next steps, when do they vote in this? More hearings?
Do we know the sponser for the bill?
I know I should have been to the meeting, sorry I wasn't.

thanks

dick dobs
Semper Fi
43-? MB jeep
Date of purchase 5-08
currently info gathering
very soon full resto.

Cat Man
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Cat Man » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Here is the latest information on our efforts to defeat the proposed Trans 123 rule.

The DOT is meeting this week to consider the public comments from the hearing in July and from written and e mail comments sent in to the DOT.

We will monitor the results and take the next step.

We continue to encourage state residents to contact the DOT secretary and to contact thier state representatives and ask them to contact the DOT and voice their voters opposition (Thanks to those of you who have contacted the state - it is making a difference!)

We (MVPA) met with GL at the MVPA convention to give them the details - Thats were their E mail to customers came from.

We have spread the word to the old car hobby as well and that gets up some bigger numbers. They have a dog in this fight too. Namely Street Rods, Kit Cars and modified cars. They are in the same catagory as the military trucks according to the state DOT - Non Conforming.

We have also distributed information about the Trans 123 proposal at the American Legion State Convention in Milwaukee to get them calling and writing if they want us in the next Memorial Day parade.

As soon as we find out what the DOT intends to do next , we will act on their move. They can drop the proposal, modify the proposal and send to committee for approval or send it to committee as is for approval or rejection as is.

At the same time, we have been working with the transportation committee in the state legislature to create a bill that would add a specific definition for Historic Military Vehicles under the current Wis Collector Licence Plate law. The bill has a sponsor and the final draft should be out later this week. We expect it will make it to the legislature in the fall session. IF passed, it would override the DOT rule trans 123 as far as allowing military trucks over 20 years old and with the other limitations of collector plate. Not unrestricted use but at least lets us keep them under the collector rules. This is similar to what has been done in Kansas, Ohio, Florida and other states as far as collector vehicles.

When we get the draft of the bill and it has a number and a name we will post that information so you can call your representative to support it.
We are also working with SEMA and their legislative action network to pressure the State DOT.

I'll post more information when we see what the DOT does next.
Thanks
Cat Man

podski
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by podski » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:55 am

Super work Cat Man. I live in PA, not in WI, but this issue could come up in any state at any time. Can I suggest that when all is said and done that you post in one place a synopsis of what was done to organize opposition to this effort in WI so that others can learn/use it to combat similar legislative efforts that may come up elsewhere in the future. I also suggest keeping the MVPA folks informed on what was done and how well it worked/didn't work so they can use it to support our hobby going forward.

BTW - where does "Cat Man" come from? Any chance you owne a Buick Wildcat?
Ken
1942 GPW

Cat Man
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Cat Man » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks for the encouragment. We have been working on this fight since 2007.

As far as keeping the MVPA informed, I guess I am "them". There really is not a good data base within the MVPA or anyplace else that I can find to get history, contacts or help on this type of legislative issues from other states. Yes I've talked to lots of people who all know a little bit, but we have to fight with HARD information. The MVPA has been mostly involved in monitoring Federal issues in the past.

As a reward for working the Wisconsin DOT issue, the MVPA president appointed me Chairman of the MVPA legislative activities committe.

So in addition to the Wisconsin Issue that is on the front burner, We are working on a plan to do exaclty what you suggest. We want to create a place on the MVPA web site as a resource for people in the future to use when these state issues come up. I'm hoping we can get that started soon.

It's a good thing I retired Jan 1st because this is becoming a full time job!

Drive On

Cat Man

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Can the M123A1C even be plated period ? does anybody know ?

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

dick dobs
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by dick dobs » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Cat man, I know that the MVPA web site is the place to set up a forum for everyone to post and look for postings about what is happening across the country but, I was just on their web site, not too many hits since july 2007. My thoughts are this forum, the G503. I think this is the place where things are happening, way more active.

I don't know how new topics are added. Just my $.02 worth. :idea:

thanks for listening

Dick Dobs
Semper Fi
43-? MB jeep
Date of purchase 5-08
currently info gathering
very soon full resto.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:34 am

StudebakerM275 wrote:Can the M123A1C even be plated period ? does anybody know ?

Mike
If you intend to use it for anything, it requires permits due to width. Running it on Antique plates will not permit it to haul anything.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Your allowed up to 500LB's of cargo on the collector tags :lol: but yea there all for anti hauling. . .
But i don't really intend on hauling anything with it, just drive it for fun :mrgreen:
My goal is to collect the whole set of tractors . . .

the 8) M275 8) M52/818 8) M123A1C 8) basically the 2.5T the 5T and 10T 6x6 tractors :mrgreen:

Basically wanted know if it could be tagged and driven, I'm guessing the answer is yes yes it can, So now all i have to is find Rig's from 67 n older 8) :?:

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Buggy Man » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:03 pm

StudebakerM275 wrote:Your allowed up to 500LB's of cargo on the collector tags :lol: but yea there all for anti hauling. . .
But i don't really intend on hauling anything with it, just drive it for fun :mrgreen:
My goal is to collect the whole set of tractors . . .

the 8) M275 8) M52/818 8) M123A1C 8) basically the 2.5T the 5T and 10T 6x6 tractors :mrgreen:

Basically wanted know if it could be tagged and driven, I'm guessing the answer is yes yes it can, So now all i have to is find Rig's from 67 n older 8) :?:

Mike
Don't forget the M221 8) . It was the tractor variant from the M211 (G749?) family of trucks.
Matt

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:06 pm

oh yea have to snatch up one of those too. . .

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

Return to “Legislative Issues”