zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:28 pm

chibobber wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 am
Zeph,
Hope it all works out.As stated in a prior post,I would try and locate and cultivate a machine shop that has an EDM. If it can blast a broken tap out of a host metal,it should work on the pin.
Bob
I was rummaging through the garage today and found a small EZ Out that had seen better days. I ground it down a tiny bit and gave it a go. Broke the tip off on the second punch, but I re-ground it and made another attempt. after about the fifth major slam with the 2lb hammer it moved the pin! Ground the EZ out down for another attempt and finally removed the pin:

Played with my balls...ball bearings, that is, to match them up to reinstall the axle shafts together. I'm thinking I will use the NOS front axles I have for the Carryall project. At least I think I have saved these axles to be available as a selection if needed for my WC22 project:

Appreciate the input!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Zeph,Good on you! Your determination is an inspiration to all. :D
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:50 am

chibobber wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:57 pm
Zeph,Good on you! Your determination is an inspiration to all. :D
Bob
Thanks Bob. I'm a little boneheaded sometimes, but hate to toss any old parts that may be needed someday. I'll let my kids do that... 8)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Removed the inner front wheel hub seals. They looked like they were just as hard to install as they were to remove. Beat to heck:

Noticed that one of the lower knuckle bearing races was cracked upon removal:

Also, started piling up some "for sale" items for the upcoming Petaluma show which is just about a week away. Thought I would clear out some of the half-ton fuel tanks that are starting to stack up. I think the center tank is a half-ton ambulance. Other are half-ton pickups:

Zeph

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am

Zeph, those tanks look like the AFTER result of a restoration of one of ours out here in the Southeast. If the insides look anything like the outside, they're ready to install now :D

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm

USAFpj wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am
Zeph, those tanks look like the AFTER result of a restoration of one of ours out here in the Southeast. If the insides look anything like the outside, they're ready to install now :D
Yes, I think they are in pretty decent shape. I know it can get pretty rugged out there. Have a lot of family in North Carolina, and have visited SC a number of times.

At least these exist. Not sure of the demand for half-ton tanks, but thought I would get them out and see if anyone needs one. If not...back on the shelf. Be nice to free up some room, however.
Zeph

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Also, started piling up some "for sale" items for the upcoming Petaluma show which is just about a week away. Thought I would clear out some of the half-ton fuel tanks that are starting to stack up. I think the center tank is a half-ton ambulance. Other are half-ton pickups:

Very kind of you to open the floor for others restoring WCs. These tnaks (Haard to find) will be a great find for anyone doing a resto. Cheers to you Zeph and thanks for your help to all of us. :)
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:33 am

17thAirborne wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm
Very kind of you to open the floor for others restoring WCs. These tnaks (Haard to find) will be a great find for anyone doing a resto. Cheers to you Zeph and thanks for your help to all of us. :)
Yes, it is time to release these back into the wild... 8)
Zeph

nteague1
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by nteague1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:21 am

Would be interested in buy one of the gas tank how much?

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Sun May 06, 2018 4:49 am

zepher11 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:18 pm
Finally had some time to dink around with the front axle disassembly. Finished removing everything so I could get the axles out and look them over:

The long axle was in pretty good shape, but the short axle has major wear grooves in it from the ball bearings:

I like that the bolts all have the "A" markings. However, will have to deal with the Rube Goldberg contraption. Although I unbolted everything, I couldn't get it apart:

Had to cut a piece to get it to come apart:

Removed the upper and lower bearings to finish removal all of the knuckles:

I remembered that I had some NOS axles from the Command Car project:

These data tags on the axles were pretty cool:

Now a lot of clean up lies ahead of me to get everything cleaned up for reassembly...

Also, I found this on the floor below the axle after I was done removing everything. I have no idea where it came from. Anyone know what this is?:

Zeph- unsure of what 'major grooves' looks like in that joint, can you post a pic of your short side axle where the balls travel? I'm rebuilding all hubs now, and need to see about what's considered acceptable wear..

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:28 am

USAFpj wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:49 am
Zeph- unsure of what 'major grooves' looks like in that joint, can you post a pic of your short side axle where the balls travel? I'm rebuilding all hubs now, and need to see about what's considered acceptable wear..
This is probably the best photo I have as the axles are all put back together now. Tough to get a photo now. I upsized the four drive balls on mine to take out the play. There was a bit of wear, but I think for as much as I drive it it should be okay. Also contemplating lock-out hubs which would make them last even longer.

Zeph

Dozerman51

Post by Dozerman51 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:46 am

Hi Zeph,
IMHO, I would install the lock out hubs on your front axle. So much less wear and much less noise. If you do have to drive it to a show, you can always bring along the driving hubs and install them when you get to the show for the “Original” look. Just my 2 cents worth of BS. :lol: Keep up the good work. Maybe I can get a ride in it when the restoration is complete.

BATMOBILE1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by BATMOBILE1 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 am

Hi Zeph,am trying to send you a PM but i don't think its sent.? did you get anything?
94 locating Regt RA,57 Bty B troop 1982-1985.
32 Heavy Regt RA,57 Bty D droop 1985-1990.
M38 1952 ,restoration project
Dodge 1/2 ton WC-24 Chassis WC-6 body..combo.
Dodge 1951 M43 ,SOLD
Harley Davidson WLA.type IV. SOLD

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Well, since I announced my retirement from the working world, all hell has broken loose and has consumed both my time and spirit. Haven't really been motivated to do anything of late. Plus it is spring time, and I seem to spend every moment whilst at home trying to catch up on the yard work. Everything should stop growing here shortly as it will be 100 degrees tomorrow. Should look like scorched earth hear shortly.

Anyhoo, I finally was motivated enough today to sandblast my axle housings for the Carryall project. Tried to squeeze it in early before it was too hot. This is the rear housing:

Lots of cleanup of the housings. Used a long rod to push paper towels through the axle housings to get the old oil residue out:

Whist pulling the gear cover and pumpkin, most of the studs came out, so had to clean everything and then re-install using Loctite. Very time consuming and an inordinate amount of beer disappeared during the endeavor:

This is the front axle housing after it was blasted. Needs to be disassembled and cleaned up. The pumpkin on this one is in need or repair. I have another that I will use in this housing. Hope to someday figure out how to rebuild the gears. Not an easy task I have heard:

I had some NOS axle housing gaskets that I bought some time ago for display. Thought I would try on out. Well, lets just say that NOS is not the way to go for gaskets. They basically disintegrated as I tried to install. I'll need to find some "fresh" ones that will actually work:

So nice to have the tractor to move these things around. Would take three times as long to figure out how to move these previous to the tractor factor:

The Carryall body is still just hanging out waiting for some love:

And , of course, Ralph is hanging out wondering why it is taking me so long to get motivated:

Zeph

chibobber

Post by chibobber » Mon May 28, 2018 5:56 am

Zeph,
Retirement is a big adjustment. Take it one step at a time,develope new routines and it will fall into place.As always,love to see your updates.I know they are eagerly anticipated by many.
Keep smiling
Bob

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”