Fall swapmeet at Camp Jellystone

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Fall swapmeet at Camp Jellystone

Post by softskin_driver » Tue May 16, 2017 11:40 am

NOTE FROM MODERATOR 8/5/17 - SOME COMMENTS IN FORUM EVENT THREADS MIGHT BE INACCURATE BASED ON THE CURRENT SITUATION. MAKE SURE TO READ ENTIRE THREADS AND OTHER POSTS ABOUT THE SAME EVENT TO UNDERSTAND IT. NOTE THAT THERE IS AN EVENTS FORUM ON THE GEE THAT MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION THAN WHAT'S ON A CLUB FORUM. THANKS!

How many people received a small pamphlet from Jelly Stone Park?
Did you read it? Pay very close attention to the cancellation policy!
This is important for those with reservations with Joann and the park for the fall September swapmeet.
Any comments please post!

Thanks
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Fall swapmeet at Camp Jellystone

Post by Mitch Olson » Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 am

Oh, Boy.... What did it say? I tossed mine into the circular 13 file !!

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed May 17, 2017 9:10 am

I did not receive one Dave...

Obviously some things have changed there, after reading the trip advisor reviews....some "rules" may be an issue?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... ml#REVIEWS

On the other hand, as usual, the only people we tend to bother are each other so we tend to "police" each other. What are the new "rules" anyway?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 am

Jelly stone has put out some pretty aggressive rules on how they will handle reservations and cancellations here is an excerpt from our wagon masters (Joann)column in the next newsletter which will be out soon as I find a new printer.
Joann talked to Kathy at Yogi and Boo Boo resorts and confirmed they are going to require us to put 50% deposits on all sites that’s 50% of your total stay as a deposit. (4 night minimum) The remaining 50% of your reservation has to be paid 30 days prior to the event. THIS MEANS YOUR STAY WILL BE COMPLETELY PAID FOR PRIOR TO YOU ATTENDING. If you should have to cancel for any reason even illness the policy they will enforce is +3 weeks Nonrefundable $25 or full refund issued as camp credit. +2 weeks 50% of monies collected issued in camp credit & 50% forfeited. Less than 2 weeks FULL RESERVATION FORFEITED no credit no refund.
I have no Idea how members are going to feel about this but I personally believe with all the other new rules and the fact they were reluctant to have the MVCC come back at all we may be totally done at Camp Delta.
I want to hear some others opinions on this first as I am only one member.
I know a couple members after hearing about this have canceled their reservations already.
What bugged me was I gave them a card and they did not tell me they would put it on file and charge me 50% and then run it again for the full charge at a later date before I have even arrived . I consider that payment without authorization but that's just me I can get a little upset when people have there hand in my wallet.
I guess the pamphlet was pre warning there would be charges that would be only refunded as camp credits or forfeited at some point.
I am sure they put this online somewhere.
So what does everyone think? Do we cancel September or stay the course and go regardless of these heavy handed policies?
I need your input!!!
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

frenchman
G-Major
G-Major

Post by frenchman » Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 pm

35 years club member this year I decieded not to take a spot at tower for the fall meet
I will go and visit during the day and that would be it for me until thing settle down just don't like the new rules
claude

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by ndnile » Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 pm

softskin_driver wrote:So what does everyone think? Do we cancel September or stay the course and go regardless of these heavy handed policies?
I need your input!!!
For reasons unrelated to the new ownership, I'll only be making a day trip, so my vote should carry very little weight. I would rather stay the course and see if they come to their senses at all. Let's not burn this bridge until we've found the new one.

I appreciate all the work, effort and frustration the officers have had to deal with, and I thank them. As an aside, I had a marvelous time at Petaluma.

Cheers.
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 am

Do we know if Jelly Stone will be charging a 'Guest Fee' like KOA charged for those that were 'Day Trippers' at Petaluma?

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Sat May 20, 2017 12:28 pm

( edited)(I have a call into the park manager and when I confirm just what the MVCC will be required to pay if anything I will post that here. I will also check on the other rules as well.)

New Post...
I have spoken with the Tower Park management and have good news. Most of the rules I spoke of will be relaxed for our group. Specifically, There will be no day use fee unless you are going to use the swimming pool so there will be a special wrist band for that. Also there will be trailer and day use parking allowed on the levee for no charge. On the forfeit of the full reservation fee if cancelled: Per Paul @ Jelly Stone they will give a full refund if the reason for cancellation is legitimate which means its health or family emergency related.
Jelly Stone will require a two day deposit a month or so out. So we are good to go most hassles are smoothed out.

I have been visiting other centrally located locations such as Turlock fairgrounds and Dixon. The thought is to find an alternate venue for the Fall swapmeet. I have a couple other places in mind that I will visit soon. Most of the visited places are rougher than we are used to for example very few fairgrounds have more than a couple shower facilities and a very limited number of full hookups. Pleasanton although being limited on showers they have plenty of full hook ups for RV's though they are on the tarmac parking lot with zero shade.
September being a hot month some of these places visited would be away from the afternoon delta breeze and very hot like Woodsons Bridge 101+ during a hot spells.
We could move the fall meet to October? Might be cooler... What's the consensus on moving the date to October and moving south to say Turlock Fairgrounds?
Pass the word we are going to be at Jelly Stone (Tower Park) Sept. 2017. Call Joann for reservations soon.
Last edited by softskin_driver on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sun May 28, 2017 12:23 pm

I modded this post after reading Dave's good news. Jellystone is central, has a great swap meet layout, lots of shade, and a restaurant with bar. The relative lack of offsite driving destinations makes it good for vendors although our ideal campground would have better roads for driving. Staying on the hunt for a place makes sense and it doesn't have to be only a couple people looking. What's in YOUR neighborhood? A place doesn't have to have as many RV hookups as Tower Park to work for us. Ditto shade, lawns, whatever. Dave is right about fairgrounds not being like dedicated campgrounds. Turlock, Dixon, Yolo (Woodland) all do not offer showers at their campgrounds. Fairgrounds usually have them somewhere but are often not convenient or unusable if there is another event going on. Turlock has trains running right by the campground.

Moving the Fall meet to October makes a lot of sense. We did that with the Woodson Bridge meet to lower the temperature. A few weeks can make a difference. Probably campground managers will have more reason to modify their rules for us if our group comes in later in their season. Just a guess.
Last edited by John Neuenburg on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:17 am

Folks, The Fall meet is still a manageable size for us to locate another venue in the central region that will work for us without all of the BS Jellystone wants to inflict on us so here's the catch: GET OFF YOUR WHINING STOOL AND GO FIND US ANOTHER SITE THAT'LL WORK FOR US. We've said this for years and unfortunately it's fallen on deaf ears. There are almost 600 of us out there and yet 590 of those people expect the other 10 to do everything. If you want this meet to allow us to enjoy what we've done for so long without restrictions then help us find a workable alternative. It's your club too!
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Please see my edited original message and additional info.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=286609&p=1663177#p1663177

Thanks
:) :) :)
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 am

How many sites does the MVCC use at TP for the Fall Meet? What are the numbers for the last few years? I think that would help anyone us checking out a local option rather than finding one that ends up too small. I believe we need 300 for the Spring but that is predicated on us doubling up as we have done at Big Bear, Waterford and Tower Park...that will be a problem no matter where we go if they limit the number of us/cars/MVs in each site.

I would have no problem with last two weeks of Sept or first two of Oct....once kids are back in school there should be less pressure on these places and our numbers would work in our favor to negotiate things like a three-day stay or how many cars/MVs in a site or trailer parking or visitor fees or even site fees....all of which seem to be our issues with Petaluma and Jellystone or probably most of the KOA style venues.

Obviously we have outgrow the Mom 'n Pop Campground business model...at least for the Spring Meet!

Jellystone is the default location for the Fall Meet I think...but with less sites available, will they allow us to cram in everyone into the available spaces?

Kudos to Dave & Co, so far in the search and as always, to Joann for being the Gatekeeper for the reservations and sites!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 am

Jellystone is allowing us to use the campground 2 and 3 areas for the Fall meet. We normally use between 80 and 100 sites so it works for the smaller meet. This park has served us well for the past decade but their management is ruining it's value for us with their policies and outrageous pricing. I wish them luck in the California market but I don't envision their business model being successful here.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:35 am

Good time to publish what Dave wrote in MVCC News issue #6, similar to what he wrote earlier in this thread:

I would like to pass on some good news. After a long talk with Paul at Jelly Stone Park, he has agreed to relax some of the rules and has opened the doors for us once again for the MVCC Fall Swapmeet. There will be no charge for day use or parking up on the levee. He relaxed the rules on reservation fees and told me if there is a legitimate reason for cancellation, such as, but not limited to, family emergency or illness, Jelly Stone Park will give a full refund. There will be parking for trailers. So, grab a campsite while they last, and we hope to see everyone at Jellystone Park AKA Tower Park/Camp Delta on September 19-24. Of course, the early birds will be there a couple of days sooner. See the enclosed Wagon Master article from Joann for more details.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:07 am

See new post elsewhere about possibly scheduling a driving activity at this meet, and publicizing other activities:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=288846
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”