Hello from So. Cal. GPW project serial #GPW 14359

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: Hello from So. Cal. GPW project serial #GPW 14359

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 pm

jeepfinger wrote:
54WYLLYSJEEP wrote:[

I have no idea what year the tub is. could it be a pre-war tub?
Hi 54,no it's not pre war, that type of tub was made by Ford from jan 1942 until late 1943 when they went to the composite tub.

Ron has a script panel, http://www.vintagejeeps.com/p-1019-ford ... 2758f.aspx This will be an MDJ made in the Phillipines. , Jay whose username is memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=34924 I think, sells the British made panel by Joes Motor Pool.

54, it will be a learning curve. I only wished that there was the internet and a site like this and Tom's site when I got my GPW in 1983 :D The good thing was my jeep was all ready for the road, minus some correct items :(

All the best, Dave
thanks for the link. I bookmarked it for later.

I can only imagine before the internet what it was like to put one of these together. using a catalog alone for parts. the net is a huge tool in helping with these old jeeps. used it extensively for my 3B. at least I have a basic knowledge from my first jeep to apply to this one. but I think this one will be more fun. I had a blast with my 3B so this one should be more fun. it sucks that I wont be able to work on it for a year.

thanks
Chris

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:46 pm

BUBBA bumper removed and frame horns as well. I was able to drill out the old rivets. I used a sawzall to remove the rest and reduce any further damage to the frame.

Last edited by 54WYLLYSJEEP on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:47 pm

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:49 pm

the frame overall looks good and the only apparent damage I see is in the front. not too bad overall. looks repairable.

here is the "F" stamp on the underside of the frame horn. they were too badly damaged to recover.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:50 pm

here is the drivers side.

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi Chris,

It looks like your frame horns need a little tweaking, they seem to bend in a bit. The fish plates that go on top to fasten the bumper to, should have a nice F in them. Ian Fawbert noticed that the repro Ford one's are not correct. The lip that goes over the frame side is not deep enough on the repros. I noticed that you have already cut them off, if you could save what you have left and graft them on to some repro ones if at all possable.

Yes I was lucky my GPW was ready for the road. It did have things missing, but I wasn't doing a ground up resto like yourself. Over here in the UK, 30 odd years ago, it was who you knew that had some spares etc. There was a shop in London that delt in MB/GPW spares but just mainly service items, no body panels. There was of course swapmeets and events where you could get spares. We never had what we can get today, I think that it has been done here, a jeep made just from spares.

Chris, you said before you will be out of state for a year, was it Texas? A few G503's there. Get in touch with them.

Regards, Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:42 pm

jeepfinger wrote:Hi Chris,

It looks like your frame horns need a little tweaking, they seem to bend in a bit. The fish plates that go on top to fasten the bumper to, should have a nice F in them. Ian Fawbert noticed that the repro Ford one's are not correct. The lip that goes over the frame side is not deep enough on the repros. I noticed that you have already cut them off, if you could save what you have left and graft them on to some repro ones if at all possable.

Yes I was lucky my GPW was ready for the road. It did have things missing, but I wasn't doing a ground up resto like yourself. Over here in the UK, 30 odd years ago, it was who you knew that had some spares etc. There was a shop in London that delt in MB/GPW spares but just mainly service items, no body panels. There was of course swapmeets and events where you could get spares. We never had what we can get today, I think that it has been done here, a jeep made just from spares.

Chris, you said before you will be out of state for a year, was it Texas? A few G503's there. Get in touch with them.

Regards, Dave

I did save the "F" stamp part of the frame horns. the rest of them were not serviceable at all. the frame overall looks good and yes a little tweaking is in order for the front. it will be a bit of work but overall the front looks good as to rust there wasn't much mostly surface rust. I have some frame horns I was going to use on a 2A I was working on but now it's scrapped.

I have seen some photos of "F" stamped horns that show on the top. mine were on the bottom of the frame. I'm not overly worried about having everything that could have a "F" stamp on it. I would like to find a "F" stamp for use on this only and my personal use.

I do however have this I picked up about a year ago. I have a GPW stamped Ross box that I want to use on this jeep.

yes I will be in Texas. that would be nice to get in touch with some members here while I'm in Texas.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:23 pm

who is a good vendor for rivets like the ones on the jeep? other than the usual jeep parts dealers we use that charge too much for a handful of them.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm

I did some poking around on the body and it looks like BUBBA has replaced the entire fuel tank well with who knows what and in the process removed the indent for the ax. BUBBA also used quite a bit of a metal body filler. in the same area.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:51 pm

as of this week my project comes to a halt. this thread wont have too much activity during this time. but rest assured it will become active once I return home.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:10 pm

It's time to resurrect this thread. I will be going home this month and will begin work on my GPW. I have been stocking up on mostly body parts for this project and some frame parts as well. the axles will be the last to work on for a rolling chasis. I look forward to sharing this project with you guys.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:20 pm

jeepfinger wrote:
54WYLLYSJEEP wrote:[

I have no idea what year the tub is. could it be a pre-war tub?
Hi 54,no it's not pre war, that type of tub was made by Ford from jan 1942 until late 1943 when they went to the composite tub.

Ron has a script panel, http://www.vintagejeeps.com/p-1019-ford ... 2758f.aspx This will be an MDJ made in the Phillipines. , Jay whose username is memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=34924 I think, sells the British made panel by Joes Motor Pool.

54, it will be a learning curve. I only wished that there was the internet and a site like this and Tom's site when I got my GPW in 1983 :D The good thing was my jeep was all ready for the road, minus some correct items :(

All the best, Dave
Dave I have my Ford script back panel. I'm very excited to put that bad boy on.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:10 am

I think I can see the strengthening rib behind where the tool box lid is attached to the wheelhouse. Darryl's chart lists that as a feature that began in MAY of 1942. I have GPW 17963 and it is an April 24, 1942 Chester, PA jeep. It does NOT have the strengthening ribs on the wheelhouses.

I can also see the strengthening ribs in the glove box floor which Darryl's chart indicates were not introduced until September 1942....however it does not appear to have a Trailer Socket hole in the rear panel which was something also introduced in September 1942!

I believe the tub is not original to this frame....but is maybe an August or September 1942 production.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:08 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:I think I can see the strengthening rib behind where the tool box lid is attached to the wheelhouse. Darryl's chart lists that as a feature that began in MAY of 1942. I have GPW 17963 and it is an April 24, 1942 Chester, PA jeep. It does NOT have the strengthening ribs on the wheelhouses.

I can also see the strengthening ribs in the glove box floor which Darryl's chart indicates were not introduced until September 1942....however it does not appear to have a Trailer Socket hole in the rear panel which was something also introduced in September 1942!

I believe the tub is not original to this frame....but is maybe an August or September 1942 production.
thank you for the information. I looked up the serial number for this and if I read it right it was a 1942 GPW. I never thought the tub and frame were original to each other. The guy I bought it from I know quite well and he has a ton of stuff. Personally I'm very happy to have a Ford GPW.

Some research I have done is that there is a "F" mark inside the glove box. Is that correct?

I have acquired from him over the last year are front grill, F stamped rear seat :), fenders, fuel tank, complete window frame (less windows).

I think he has seats but I literally have to dig and climb in his storage unit for them. He has passenger seats and I think he had a drivers seat of course it was at the very bottom.

I will be adding a lot of photos once I restart work on it.

54WYLLYSJEEP
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 54WYLLYSJEEP » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:54 pm

I was finally able to get some work done today. Come to find out there is not a ton of paint on this body. Looks like original primer and paint.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”