Staff Car General Information

Ford, Plymouth, Dodge - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
gnathanp
G-Civilian

Staff Car General Information

Post by gnathanp » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:26 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards here. My dad has a few early ('41 and '42) jeeps and I grew up working on those with him, but now that I've been out on my own for a while I miss having something to tinker with and drive around in my spare time. I've always loved the staff cars from WWII and I've always wanted one, even if it kills my dad to hear it! I've been doing some research on the boards here and I'll put a short synopsis of what I've learned below.

A 1941 or 1942 Plymouth, Packard, Ford, Dodge, or Chevy would be acceptable for government contracts. The government procurement program allows virtually any four door sedan from 1941 or 1942 to become a government vehicle. Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Studebaker, or anything else that looks the part would be acceptable.

I talked to a guy on 10 SEP 2016 at Sacramento Vintage Ford in Rancho Cordova. He said if I want a 1942 I should get the most complete car that I can afford because parts are virtually nonexistent. A 1941 would be easier, but not by much. He also said that 1940 shouldn’t be too bad. He threw in that post war cars (1946-1948) are even harder to find parts for than a 1942 because they weren't very popular. Do you guys feel that this is true?

Am I missing any key information or did I make any incorrect statements above?

Is there somewhere with actual literature or information about these cars other than word of mouth? It seems like a lot of information about these cars has been lost through the years.

Where do you guys suggest I keep an eye out to get one of these cars? I'm getting married in a little less than a month, so I'm not ready to buy a car right away, but I'd like to monitor the prices. They seem all over the place from what I've seen online.

Any help is much appreciated. Like I said, I'm new to the world of staff cars, so please enlighten me!

Thank you,
Nathan

Return to “Staff Car”