Iowa Willys MB Project

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
MadCoLars
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: Iowa Willys MB Project

Post by MadCoLars » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 am

Anyone on the G have a set of intake and exhaust manifolds in good condition for an MB that they would be willing to part with? That will be the last piece I need to get this going. Haven't heard great things about the repro items that are on the market. Any experience with the repro parts?

MadCoLars
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:57 am

Bought some replacement countershaft bushings and a new shaft for the T84. Bushings are too loose in the countershaft bore and too tight on the actual shaft. Some photos of the old and new along with the spacer.
IMG_8980.JPG
IMG_8980.JPG (133.67 KiB) Viewed 75 times
IMG_8981.JPG
IMG_8981.JPG (131.71 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Just ordered another set of bronze floating bushings from another source along with a shaft that has flats machined into it for improved oiling. My old bushings were press fit in the shaft with a spacer, so not sure how these will fit. If they don't work I'm going to source a machine shop to custom make a set. I will post the results of the bushings once they arrive.

The countershaft assembly does have a very slight reduction in bore diameter towards the center as the replacement bushings would fall in and then stop once the hit the narrower section. Not visible in the pic, but it is included for the markings on the gear.
IMG_8982.JPG
IMG_8982.JPG (249.64 KiB) Viewed 75 times

CharlieGPW
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by CharlieGPW » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:38 am

This a photo of the bottom side of the transmission skid plate. It is faint, but there appears to be some kind of stencil in white paint. Any other guys with British Jeeps have this stencil and can share what it says?
IMG_8901.JPG
[/quote]

Good Afternoon,

I finally got round to taking a pic of the stencilling on 81YH05 , Both the skid plate and the diff case have the oil OEP number on them.

70th Division
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by 70th Division » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:49 am

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for posting your great pictures of the stenciling !

Another British Jeep mystery solved !!!
I can almost see that on MadColars skidplate now.

I looked at my skid plate put could not see anything, as there is a lot of grease and aged patina, plus crawling under
the jeep currently was a little hard.
The oep stenciling on my rear axle assembly was a much smaller script, so I will look closer once I get it elevated.

Best Regards,

Ray

MadCoLars
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:15 am

Charlie, thanks for the great pictures! I didn't realize there was a stencil on the front diff as well.

artificer
- R.A.E.M.E -

Post by artificer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Frankly I would be taking the counter gear & shaft to a machinist & having tailor made bushes fitted. Make sure neither end thrust have any chance of turning in the case but are locked/secured to it.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”