Restoration thread for GPW 12078 Script

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Restoration thread for GPW 12078 Script

Post by lt.luke » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Ok folks, I might as well start this now. I've owned #12078 for about a month now. She is in my garage and about all i've done is started sanding through several layers of old paint.

Here she is with the old owner on the day of pickup:

After much sanding on the back panel:

Now, mabey I'm the only one that can see it, but there are remnents of two numbers in blue drab. I have a clearer pic, but you can't see the blue.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:37 pm

I have also started sanding on the rear quarter panels and the dash, as lots of other Jeeps have markings in those places.

My question is this: If I sand to original paint in a spot that is supposed to have a star (like the cowl or the rear quarter panels) and find nothing, do I put one there when I repaint or leave it off?

I will most likely be doing a motorpool restoration at best, but will do everything within my ability to make it as right as possible within my means and budget.

Thanks in advance for you input. Be prepared for a long boring thread untill I sell my Mustang.

Mike Wright
US Army Major (Ret)
US Army Major (Ret)

Post by Mike Wright » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:00 am

Lt Luke
I'd put stars and other markings where they are suppose to be even if I didn't find them on my jeep. Reason being is from factory they are suppose to have the reg # and once at unit of issue stars & bumper #'s. Who knows what has happened over the years with our jeeps. Bubba, etc has done much and sometimes sandblasated the entire jeep prior to diamond plating or painting pink :shock:
HTH
Edited to fix what I knew to be correct but missed up :oops: Thanks Jon :D
Last edited by Mike Wright on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wright
SEEKING MOTOR # GPW 2636
MVPA# 4341
GPW 2636, DOD 28 FEB 42, Reg# 2055811 (est)
GPW 104331 DOD 31 MAR 43, Reg# 20369321 (est)
MB-101008 DOD 27 NOV 41, Reg# W-2032462 (Original)
MB 438075, DOD 1 MAY 45, Reg# 20704591 (Original)
Converto ABN Dump 0886168
M2-HB gun trailer

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:52 am

That was my plan. I just feel better about it now. I do have some of the original stuff and it is very possible that I will be the reson that I don't have them all. The marking paint appears to have been very very thin.

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Hello Luke,

I have hood number 2066837 listed for GPW 12078. I do not know if that number came from Bob or if it came from Rene Rovai in France.

You are looking for a 7 digit number. The layout of the number is the first digit ( a - 2 ) is to the left of the left body seam. The second digit ( a - 0 ) is to the right of the seam. The sixth digit should be above the shaft of the letter ' d ' in Ford.

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Post by Jon » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Mike Wright wrote:Lt Luke
I'd put stars and other markings where they are suppose to be even if I didn't find them on my jeep. Reason being is from factory they are suppose to have stars and reg # and once at unit of issue bumper #'s.
HTH
Mike..... I know this must be a typo from you as I know, you know, that the stars and bumper markings were added at Unit level, not factory.

From the factory only the USA registration number (Hood Number/Rear Panel Number) was applied.....

Just so there's no confusion for Luke... :lol:

JR
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Here's what my back panel looked like today...

I have outlined the star with a Sharpie so I can create a stencile for later use, then I put some marks at the top and bottom of the blue drab numbers I found. I found three numbers and a space large enough for a fourth, but all to the RIGHT of the star. Where is the body seam you are refering to? The obvious one to the left of the picture or something less obvious?

Jon,

When you say that stars were put on at unit level, does that mean that:
1: If I don't find it, then it wasn't there and
2: If I'm doing a factory class resto then omit them?

Reference number 2, i'm more curious then anything, I'm pretty sure my mechanical ablilities, facilities, and most of all budget will limit me to a motorpool class at best.

Tom that reg # 2066837 is what is uncovered on the original hood. It was actually uncovered by Bob. Out of curiosity, why would you have gotten that from a Frenchman?

Also, on most of the pictures I've seen, there is "USA" above the numbers on the hood, so I'm assuming I should be looking for that too.

Any sugesstions on protecting the original markings I've already uncovered while I continue sanding looking for others?

Thanks again gents

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:21 am

Hello Luke,

Forget what I had said about a body seam. It was late when I was looking at a photo to give you the number locations.

New locations - The 1st digit ( a - 2 ) starts at a vertical line with the right hand side of the left tail light the the 2nd digit ( a - 0 ) is just above and before the top part of the ' F ' in Ford. These two numbers are covered by the star which I believe was added later. I don't remember seeing a star on the back of a GPW when the USA and numbers are added on the back. You should have the 3rd, 4th, and 6th digits underlined.

The USA should be above the 3rd, 4th, and 5th number digits with square periods after each letter.

Bob at Warsaw
G-Major General
G-Major General

Star

Post by Bob at Warsaw » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi Tom

Am I correct of you saying that the service number was there, with out
the star?
So it was either the star or service number?

Thanks
Bob

I don't remember seeing a star on the back of a GPW when the USA and numbers are added on the back.
Bob

MVCC or MVPA # 9836

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi Bob,

Most times the rear stars were on the outside quarter panels not on the rear as far as I know.

Bob at Warsaw
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Bob at Warsaw » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 pm

What do you think?????

So I guess that it is up to the Lt. of what the numbers
to use on his restortation.
The later ones in white with the star on the rear
and on the white numbers on the hood, and white
stars on both sides of the rear.

OR

Blue drab hood numbers on the hood, and rear
panel with white star on the hood, and rear back
sides

And the White numbers will be the same as the Blue
ones correct???????????????

Thanks
Bob
Bob

MVCC or MVPA # 9836

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:29 pm

Bob, good point, I guess I do have a choice.

Tom, share your opinion, I'm thinking Blue Drab all the way around, omit the star on the back panel in favor of the quarter panel/hood stars.

I still have more investigative sanding to do, but right now, I don't think stars were ever added to the rear quarter panels.

Is this a similar case to the reverse stars on the hood as found by the one owner a while ago, where there was a time stars were on the back and not on the sides and vice versa?

or

Was star placement unit SOP

or

???

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:39 am

Hello Luke,

Looking at old photos, the location and size or lack there-of of the rear/side stars vary greatly. Stars and unit markings were added after a GPW left the factory grounds.

The only sure thing we know is hood numbers were Blue Drab and the same BD numbers were on the rear panel before the beginning of the factory installed 5 gallon gas can when a GPW left the factory grounds.

GI jeeps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GI jeeps » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:43 am

I've seen a few others set up the same way. At least one was a script Ford with both the rear panel reg # and the oversized star at that location.

I recall the large rear panel stars being associated with AAF jeeps but can't give you chapter and verse on that.
Philippians 4:13

Bob at Warsaw
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Bob at Warsaw » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:50 pm

GI jeeps wrote:I've seen a few others set up the same way. At least one was a script Ford with both the rear panel reg # and the oversized star at that location.

I recall the large rear panel stars being associated with AAF jeeps but can't give you chapter and verse on that.
Hello GI

Do you think that the star that you saw was the same size as here?
Just by looking the star would have covered up the number. Or
possible it was the same size as the star on the rear body sides.
I think the Lts. would look good with a side body star and the number
but if wasent done back then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure wish I new where I could see some old pictures of the rear
stars and numbers
Bob

MVCC or MVPA # 9836

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”