Harold "DOC" Ross passed away 12/15/16

North Bay Military Vehicle Club, to perserve and honor those for our military men & women. Exibit for historical purpose for those to admire and appreciate.

Moderator: mfrance

mfrance
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Harold "DOC" Ross passed away 12/15/16

Post by mfrance » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Friends,

I bet most folks never knew his real name was Harold Ross. Also Doc was a Master Gunsmith / Armorer. I do not remember ever seeing Doc not in a Blue Flight suit always wearing his aviator glasses. Doc had a A-2 Tex Hill gave him. He loved that jacket. He served in Korea, but he should have been in WWI or WWII in the skies. Fighting and flying fighters. He had a Fighter Pilot`s mentality. He loved the Warbirds and flew many of them. He would display his collection of aviation artifacts. He would educate children and explain to them about Americanism. I know this as fact because I was there. He knew education was the key to Patriotism. At Air Shows and Veterans Commemorations. He was there reaching out to people to share the message. Few do this. Doc was one of those very few

I feel very bad... but yet elated. His long hard journey with his illness has now come to a end. Doc and Col. Morehead are now flying top cover together out West. Two Peas in a pod they were. Looking back it was very special time with everyone together back in the day. The great heroes from WWII and Korean war were all there with us in the events we organized. Friends of the Aces association was a passion of his to help educate about Air Power. We were ALWAYS there together in our little group to support veterans initiatives. Participate in the Commemorations that honor veterans. So many good times at Air Shows. We will forget the great times at Duncan`s hangar, and the many other gatherings all throughout the many years. USCG Two Rock Station Petaluma, when George Larsen a Pearl Harbor Survivor was honored. What a group we had there that day together. All Service Branches from WWII. Plus supporting the USS HORNET in NAS Alameda and Jimmy Doolittle Museum at the Nut Tree.

Doc was a true American Patriot. He never talked of his own accomplishments. It was always all about the "other guys" and their Service. I always wanted to put a Camera on him and let him roll, but he always declined. Doc was a very humble man. A Warrior that is for sure. UDT in Korea, plus much more later with the Teams all over the world in his Navy career. Some of which he could never talk about. Doc was a man who lived his life by always being accountable. When I was organizing veterans tributes, which I still do, he was always the first to help and donate money. He would BBQ or help raise money, it did not matter he was always there up front 1st. Whatever it took, he did it if the Mission was to be beneficial for all Veterans to keep the flame burning bright! Doc an Col Morehead were always there in that respect.out in the public eye. Working to create better awareness about America`s veterans. They both knew full well if we do not preserve "it' ....we will lose "it.'

Every Veteran lost a great friend in 'Doc" Ross. Next time you get asked to help out veterans programs just remember Doc. Do the right thing, and step forth as he would. He would be thankful you did so.

Leon

Return to “North Bay Military Vehicle Club”