1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, modifications, sugestions, and ideas
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 1641
- Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:43 pm
- Location: nebraska
The back top bolt on the engine is hard to get to so I drilled a hole on the floor behind it so I did not have to lift the body to get to it. Then I built a small floor plate to fit over it. The next modification was the spring came off the clutch fork in the clutch housing. I drilled a hole in the side of the housing, reconnected the spring with a long needle nose pliers and used a 1/2'" electrical knock out closer to put back in the hole. If it happens again just pull it out and fix it again.
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:49 am
- Location: Tallahassee, Fla., USA
Speaking of bolts and transmissions: my jeep finally developed so much slop in the clutch pedal linkage that I had to replace it. The bracket that holds the pedal cross-shaft is a welded-on sheet metal affair that cannot be adjusted or easily replaced like the cast steel bracket used on the MB/GPW. So I cut it off the frame, cut off the tabs that had been welded to the frame and welded on a 1/8-inch thick base plate with two bolt-holes drilled into it. When I put everything back together I clamped it into place to make sure the pedals would not rub against the floorboard and then drilled and tapped matching holes into the frame. This resolved an alignment problem that I had always had and will make future servicing easier. Of course, a few months later I found an old MB frame in a salvage yard with the entire assembly nicely preserved under an inch of petrified grease. I plan to use this bracket when I do the frame-off restoration because it has a replaceable bushing in it unlike original sheet metal bracket.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest