Scout Cars with pulpit & gun ring

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
judyronM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Scout Cars with pulpit & gun ring

Post by judyronM » Wed May 02, 2018 6:54 am

With some pictures showing up in a recent topic about WW2 Scout Car pictures, some showed some scout cars woth gun pulpits like some later halftracks A1 series. Has anyone seen or does anyone have one of these with the pulpit and gun ring? Would be interesting to see if they dropped the skate rail and used the perimeter rail as they did on the halftracks. I think this would give owners an option on how to rebuild their scout car, since finding a skate rail is extremely difficult. I know this would not be rebuilding exactly as they came from factory but it does mean several more MV's could get back to living again. Views of the inside would answer a lot of questions.

Ron McAfee

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Scout Cars with pulpit & gun ring

Post by clintm20 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:28 am

Views of the inside would answer a lot of questions.
So far none are known to exist. There were so many field mods they could have done the mounts in more than one fashion. I doubt they fitted a new perimeter rail because it would need to be bent to conform to the rear armor.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Diamond T M3 Half-track Serial # M32971 USA 4045956
Autocar M3A1 Half-track Serial # M3A1-47825 USA 4053835
Autocar M16A1 Half-track Serial # M15A1-1945 USA 40150662

judyronM

Post by judyronM » Thu May 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Two of the pictures in the post on WW2 scout car photos in theatre, show two different scout cars with pulpits, one even has a canvas that folds open for just the pulpit, looks like a cleaner job than a field mod. Since early model HT's were being converted to A1's, with new A1's being built in factory, skate rails were removed (saved metal) and replaced by the perimeter rail to keep the armor strength, to me, it would make more since as a factory change. Also bending the perimeter rail would be a lot easier than bending the skate rail, on halftracks they were just notched and bent, very simple. One of the pictures was labeled removing water protectants after landing, kind of early for a field mod? I am not saying the field mod is not a possibility, just that, two with the same mod and one has a special canvas cover, not sure the mod of a canvas top would have been high on priority in the field, plus finding an industrial sewing machine to do the change might be hard. These are interesting photos and to me just pose an interesting factory or field mod. Might be time to field mod a scout car since the skate rails are hard to come by and expensive. I Got a pulpit and I have seen a couple places selling the perimeter rail. No doubt these scouts existed. Gives me an option to finish one with.

Ron McAfee
ww2%20a.jpg

judyronM

Post by judyronM » Thu May 03, 2018 5:27 pm

Just noticed the scout behind the first one is also a pulpit unit, and they both have a very nice ammo rack mounted above the windshield armor, and they look like they have formed corners.

Ron McAfee
23A60E2C-9493-45EE-A1C0-208453A50AFF.jpeg.jpg

HMVYoungster
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by HMVYoungster » Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Looks interesting to me. Might try it in place of the unabtainable skate rail.... there is picture proof of them.
42 White M2A1
41 White Scout Car M3A1
43 Case SI
Cushman model 67
43 CA1
54 M37
02' boy
07' boy
09' boy
11' girl

Return to “Armor”