Scout Car Steering Shake

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
smithtw
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Scout Car Steering Shake

Post by smithtw » Fri May 05, 2017 6:12 am

OK Thanks to all. I'm gonna start at the top and work down. Any suggestions on the proper adjustment for the steering box. Should there be any play on the steering wheel? In other words should the steering wheel have any free rotation movement before the pitman arm moves? The manual says to not only adjust the screw on the box housing.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 am

OP wrote:I'm gonna start at the top and work down.
Adjust the steering box?
Why?
The steering box has not been identified as a problem!
It is pointless trying to adjust anything @ this stage.

To help avoid doing the unnecessary & identify the real problem/s, the first reply to this thread on page 1 was a 15 point 1/2 hour detailed check list to go through & supplementary questions later.
John wrote:When did the problem start?
How far does the steering wheel turn when the wheels are ON the ground?
When these 2 questions are addressed we can help get this straight instead of spinning wheels, doing unnecessary work & guessing.

A number of guys have indicated swivel pin bearing service & adjustment [& I totally agree this is the usual problem] but never do more work than necessary.

That involves finding the real &/or other contributory issues by eliminating good stuff that can be left alone.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

smithtw
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by smithtw » Mon May 08, 2017 8:46 am

Cause can't find anything lose in the steering. There is an inch of two of rotational play in the steering wheel I figure start there and work my way downward. Once I get past the drag link, its too technical for me, I'll have to find a mechanic that will work on it.

RCASSIN
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by RCASSIN » Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 am

Hi, Did you figure out the problem?
2000 USMC Kawasaki KLR 650
42 WLA Harley
41 600 Zundapp
41 M-20 BSA
76 Condor
42 Diamond T Halftrack
42 Scout car

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 am

Large truck tire repair outfits can balance your tires....they have equipment that can lock the tire up to the balancing machine through the center hub....OW they would not be able to balance the tires on the older flat beds....
reenacting and WWII history

Return to “Armor”