Help with Paint, Primer, and Process

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
phoenix389
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Help with Paint, Primer, and Process

Post by phoenix389 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:05 pm

I've seen various discussions about what needs to be done to properly prepare and paint a mule. Mine's a 1966 A2 (mag bed), and I'm removing it to get a couple holes/ cracks welded/fixed. While the bed is off, might as well get it painted. Got a few questions if you guys don't mind -

Would a hotsy machine (steam) do any good removing paint? What about sand blasting (grit,etc.?)

Mine's a Marine mule, but it's definitely going to wear Army colors. What color (paint number, brand) do you recommend, what kind of primer, and what process needs followed to get a quality job? Same with decals, etc.

As a side note - bought a recoil starter from Bill Watson (nice fella huh) this week, installed it tonight, and she started on the second pull. I was concerned about the altitude changes from Phoenix to Colorado, but doesn't seem to be an issue yet. Thanks for any help you guys might have.

Larry
Phoenix389

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:42 am

As far as painting the magnesium bed, it's about the same as aluminum. Surface prep and primer is the key. Start by steam cleaning the bed to get all the grease and oil off of it. Next use a wire brush in a drill motor to get all the loose paint off, followed by hand sanding. Use a good etching primer, preferably one made for aluminum. For color, I'd recommend Gillespie 24087, which is late semi-gloss OD.

Army Jeep Parts (George Baxter) has some good info on paints: http://www.armyjeepparts.com/ click on "GCI Paints". The "Tips" section has some good info on paint prep, etc.

For Decals, try Rick Larson: http://www.militarystencils.com/

Good luck, and please post some photos of your new paint job!
Chuck

CGarbee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by CGarbee » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:52 am

A page from PM Magazine with instructions on cleaning, priming, and painting a Mule with Magnesium deck is located on the Steelsoldiers website... Link to the page (if it works) is:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php? ... _photo.php

A thread with a discussion of priming aluminum (helpful for me since I have an A5 with an aluminum deck) is also located on that site and may be helpful as well....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php? ... t=aluminum

I'm getting ready to respray my '68 M274A5 and am using Barium Chromate for a primer, gave my Zinc Chromate to a buddy doing a 1969 XM757 8x8 5-ton truck tractor W/W...

Since my Mule was actually an Army vehicle and I am going to paint it in USMC livery, would you be interested in sharing marking info? (mine can pretend to be yours and vice versa...)
2012 East Coast Convoy Commander
1953 M37 with Cummins 4BT
1963 XM708
1951 and 1952 M38's
1971 XM813, 1973 M817, 1971 M816
1968 M274A5
1/4, 3/4, 5t trailers...

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by ccandgc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:27 am

One thing I used when prepping for paint...I used a surface prep/wash from Home Depot. It removed oil, etc without leaving any residue. I used Gillespie paint(red primer and 24807) it came out perfect! I ordered a dozen cans, 6 of each....and I have an extra can for touch ups.... I also used a 3M abraisive wheel on my drill to remove loose paint and crud(and black widows!)

chad
-Chad

hillbilly
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Post by hillbilly » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:47 pm

Glad to see it ran good up there. I was thinking you would not have any problems. It usually does start on the second pull. Never did use the choke. It is right beside the pull cable if I didn't show you. :D Let me know how you are coming along. Still miss it but I knew you would take care of it.
Thanks for the help, Hillbilly

phoenix389
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by phoenix389 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:39 am

Finally got my mule painted and put back together. Had the bed off, sand blasted it, and used the etching primer, primer, and plenty of paint. It's definitely OD now. Had the mule in a large parade in Denver on Sept. 15th, and many stopped by to look it over. I now need to get the stencils and markings done. Saw comments about Rick Larsen and have visited his site. Does anyone have photos or a diagram that dictates where the marking go etc.? What color and brand paint should I use with the OD?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Larry
Phoenix389

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by ccandgc » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:24 am

Rick supplies a guide with his stencil set. He also has the reflector tape set, which also has an application diagram. I used paint from Home Depot, its a Krylon color, farm equipment yellow....came out really nice!

Congrats!
Chad
-Chad

B8B
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Help with Paint, Primer, and Process

Post by B8B » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 am

To resurrect an old thread, I’m thinking about doing some paint prep on my A3 ‘Frankenmule’, but I’m concerned about hazardous dust issues. The CDC page on magnesium powder (https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng0289.html) lists all kinds of risks, to include explosive dust and unextinguishable fires, not to mention inhalation hazards!

Are there any precautions besides a Tyvek suit, appropriate mask, and a chain to haul the flaming hulk out to the street if it catches fire? :oops: I know when I’ve used a wire wheel on steel it creates lots of sparks! Are there any suitable/affordable fire extinguishers for magnesium?

My brother, who is familiar with magnesium in the aerospace field, says to sand then immediately prime as I go to prevent oxidation. Agree/Disagree/Comment?

Also, I’ve found that red primers show scratches/dings more easily than darker primers such as grey or green. Any suggestions on etching or other suitable primers that don’t ‘show’ as much?

Thanks
'58 M274A3 Mule, SN 10965
'62 M422A1 Mighty-Mite, SN 3741
'65 M416-B1 Mighty-Mite Trailer, SN 11
'97 LTT-HC 'Mule Hauler' Trailer, SN "H.A.C.-054"

major519
G-Major
G-Major

Post by major519 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 am

Many of the epoxy primers on the market can be tinted whatever colour you want. If you go with a darker colour scratches won’t reveal as much.
I’d agree that getting some primer on as soon as possible is the way to go to avoid oxidization but remember if you go with epoxy that it needs to be top coated fairly soon after it dries otherwise it needs to be sanded.
1968 M274A5 USMC 325489
1966 M274A2 USMC 333007
1958 M274 US ARMY 2B3379
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715
1981 M101CDN Manac 3/4 trailer
1984 M1009 CUCV
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about fire unless you plan to sweep up the dust in piles and then set a really hot flame to it. Although magnesium will burn, it's tougher to catch fire than you would think unless it is very fine powder and subjected to intense heat. If it does catch fire, there isn't much you can do since it's very tough to extinguish. As for primer, check out this link to Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... ckkey=7822. Part way down the page is alot of helpful info on priming aluminum and magnesium. We use zinc chromate. I was using a product made by SEM part number 39693. It's a self etching primer, green in color. Don't know what the deal is but I just bought 6 cans at the first of March for 12.99 a can and I just checked the website and they have jacked the price to 26.81 a can. Don't worry too much about corrosion forming before you prime since the moisture in the air is corroding it as fast as you can sand anyway. Just don't sand then wait forever to prime. You only need a thin coat of chromate. It's not a sanding primer. It's for corrosion control. You can then topcoat it with a sanding primer and then paint to suit.

GF
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

tga
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by tga » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Be VERY careful when sanding/grinding on your magnesium deck. I almost had a disaster when doing mine. I had been sanding and grinding on mine prepping for paint when I hit the head of one of the steel deck bolts with the grinder. The sparks emitted from the bolt head ignited the magnesium dust on the deck. My saving grace was that the air grinder I was using had blown most of the sanding dust to the other end of the deck and the little bit that was ignited quickly burnt out without igniting anything else. After that I was very attentive to where those bolt heads were and was sure to keep excess dust blown off the deck and swept away from my work area. When I finished I swept all the dust outside and tossed a match on the small pile...it ignited very easily and burnt aggressively for several seconds sending sparking flames 3-4 feet in the air.

B8B
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by B8B » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Wow! - I'm glad y'all have checked in with your comments, so I can learn from each of you, and prevent burning my house (and Mule) down.

Just in case, I've been researching fire extinguishers suitable for magnesium, and found an interesting product that uses magnesium shavings in their demos -- Cold Fire by www.firefreeze.com. I just ordered a couple of their small 13.5oz cans, but their bigger products are in use in Indy cars and by law enforcement. Better safe than sorry!

As to a primer, I'm thinking of doing small patches of sanding, then hitting the metal with readily-available self-etching primer. Can anyone tell if Rust-Oleum Automotive 12 oz. Self Etching Primer Spray Paint https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /202097278 is appropriate? I can't tell from the data sheet if it's zinc chromate or some other kind of etching compound.

Brian
'58 M274A3 Mule, SN 10965
'62 M422A1 Mighty-Mite, SN 3741
'65 M416-B1 Mighty-Mite Trailer, SN 11
'97 LTT-HC 'Mule Hauler' Trailer, SN "H.A.C.-054"

Return to “Mule M274”