Magneto Trouble

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Magneto Trouble

Post by Grummanflyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:49 pm

I had magneto trouble at the KCR shoot this past Friday. Backed up in my stall early afternoon and a few minutes later, it would not start for any reason. After pulling a spark plug and seeing there was no spark, I had to take the ride of shame back to the trailer.

Thats Gunslinger hauling me back to the barn.

When I got home I removed the mag and found the points looked good but the coil , not so much.

The tester.

Past experience has taught me that cracks radiating out from the core lamination are never a good thing and I was right. A quick test with the Mercotronic 98 showed way too much juice required to make it spark. In fact, I had to turn the voltage all the way up and even then the fire in the test window was sporatic. Muleman has the only other one of these testers I have seen here but it sure is a dandy way to verify a faulty ignition system. The book for the 98 has specs for this very same ignition coil and I guarantee if it fails one of the tests, it's gonna cause trouble. John Emery had brand new ones for sale quite a bit cheaper than ebay so new parts are on the way. I'll post the whole mag rebuild after the new coil gets here.

GF
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Return to “Mule M274”