Flat style A/C pumps on GL

1985 - Present, Vehicles, NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Flat style A/C pumps on GL

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:21 am

Correct George that is an M1114 one the REV ones they have two black wieres but one is the ground it would work…
@ Jason the serpentine belt turn the other direction the V-Belt turns the same way as the engine does…
I break it, I fix it!

http://youtube.com/user/STUDENTDRIVER123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Playmate of the month April 2011 (HUMMER CAL.)

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:53 am

I've never seen a accessory belt routing for the HMMWV that would have the A/C Compressor spinning in a different direction than the Alternator. Would that alt have been for a reverse rotation setup like a boat engine might have?
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:22 pm

ah!, thanks for that pulley info. I just looked at my motor. It does indeed have the grooved pulley in that spot. So, it turns counterclockwise, the same as the alternator.

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Yes Jason, any pulley that has the grooves should spin in the same direction as the drive pulley which is on the Crankshaft. Any flat pulley that runs on the back side of the belt would turn the opposite direction. I guess there could be "special" belts with grooves on both sides, but I have not seen that yet.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:16 pm

dilvoy wrote:Yes Jason, any pulley that has the grooves should spin in the same direction as the drive pulley which is on the Crankshaft. Any flat pulley that runs on the back side of the belt would turn the opposite direction. I guess there could be "special" belts with grooves on both sides, but I have not seen that yet.

Do you have that info backwards? Isn't the crankshaft pulley smooth?

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Action wrote:
dilvoy wrote:Yes Jason, any pulley that has the grooves should spin in the same direction as the drive pulley which is on the Crankshaft. Any flat pulley that runs on the back side of the belt would turn the opposite direction. I guess there could be "special" belts with grooves on both sides, but I have not seen that yet.

Do you have that info backwards? Isn't the crankshaft pulley smooth?

Jason
Now I have a headache!
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 pm

OK, I'm all better now. If you look at the reverse rotation fan you can easily think that the crankshaft rotates the opposite way than it actually does. The way the serp belt snakes around the water pump pulley makes it the only counterclockwise rotating accessory. The idlers and the tension pulley all rotate counterclockwise direction and for our Victorian and Western Austrailan friends, a more Hellenistic term, Anticlockwise. :D

Last edited by dilvoy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 pm

George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:28 am

Okay looks like I was wrong why ever...
I remembered, that the water pump spins the other direction when it is driven by a serpentine belt.
I'm sorry my mistake :mrgreen:
Okay can aybody get me one of these compressors :lol:

But the strange thing is, I took the same kind (as the ones that are 4 sale on GL) and converted it to a flat pulley and the compressor died within seconds....
It also looks a bit different on the back side as the serpentine belt compressor....
I break it, I fix it!

http://youtube.com/user/STUDENTDRIVER123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:52 am

Here is the diagram for the 6.5TD with remote ps pump/reservoir. The belt moves clockwise from the front. Only the tensioner, 2&3 idler and water pump rotate ccw. I hope this helps.
Attachments
beltsetup1.jpg
beltsetup1.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:16 am

that works for , but the parts up for auction still have a smooth pulley on them...

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:16 am

Alex, I closed up my shop and took the compressor that I took the foto of, which is one that I bought from Austin and was new and had been dropped thus damaging the pulley grooves and the front pieces, to the A/C shop. The bad news is that I had to leave a good parking space and the guy that is really good with the books will be back on Monday. The good news is that the guy there said that the Compressor was nothing special or difficult to find and he said that the clutch should be able to be had, even in 24 volt and when I got back to work I found an equally good parking space. I should know something on Monday. I hope they don't loose or throw away the compressor that I left there for a sample. :shock:
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:56 am

Sounds interesting keep me in touch I also bought a like new compresser from austin and a new one from baul one was bad from the beginning and the other died within seconds…
But you can swap the pulley if you can fix the groves…
I break it, I fix it!

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm

OK, I just got back from the A/C shop and he can get the same thing. It will be the one wire type. I tried to get the part number out him but he was being a bit evasive, even though I gave him a $20 package of Vacuum Cleaner Bags for his Kirby. :evil: Anyhow, I again asked him to keep his notes somewhere so he would not have to look things up all over again. I also asked how my friends would let him know that they wanted this same A/ C Compressor in attempt to get the part number and he wrote this on the back of his business card.
"HI" R4 24V 8 Groove $390

The regular price is aparantly $520

I did not think that Alex and Brad would want to pay $390 for the compressor so I have contacted someone at Action Air action-ac.com and sent them fotos of my compressor. The guy said that he should be able to identify a replacement from my description and the fotos. They have a huge list of compresors that they have, but after 45 minutes I gave up looking at them and called them on the phone.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:57 pm

George thank you for taking care of us :)
I break it, I fix it!

Return to “Humvee For Sale”