Test/Rebuild of KDS CR2699 PCB

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

beltfed34

Test/Rebuild of KDS CR2699 PCB

Post by beltfed34 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:53 am

Can anyone tell me how to test for function a KDS PCB, PN CR-2699, out of the vehicle, is this possible? Also, can these be overhauled?

Thanks, Austin

beltfed@zeecon.com

Mark Rozak
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Mark Rozak » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:12 pm

How good are you with electronics? There is a breakout test box that can be assembled. I believe it is in the 34 manual. Steve in Baltimore talked about building one. I'll call him next week.

beltfed34

KDS

Post by beltfed34 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:29 pm

Mark,

I'm no electronics guy, but I have access to a lot of these but they are removed during overhauls, so I assume they are bad for some reason or the other. However, I hate to pass them up if there is a way to repair, I think the mil rebuilds these but cannot find any info on that. They have screws holding them together like they have been taken apart before.

Thanks for the info, let me know if yuo find anything else out.

Take care,
Austin

PaoloItaly
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: Test/Rebuild of KDS CR2699 PCB

Post by PaoloItaly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Austin,
Do you have a Cr-2699 to deal?
Thank,
Paul

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:08 pm

I'm an electronics guy, I just had my old first gen PCB burn out yesterday. It wont power up my glow plugs or excite my alternator so I'm going to open it up and see whats going on with it and rebuild it if possible. I want to upgrade to the S3 KDS series but I don't have $600 USD to fork out at the moment. If there is a break out test box that can be made for the S3 series, please send me all the data and documents you have or can get on them. I have the ability to design professional circuit boards on my computer here and maybe able to assist if I can get all the data and figure out how it works internally. Then perhaps I can start handing them out to people here on the forum that could really use a test box.

Mark Rozak
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Mark Rozak » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Test box is called Test Module Assy found in TM 9-2320-280-20-3 with change 1, on Pages are 1051 to 1080. Looks like a box with 4 pigtails for engine connection and body connection, a couple ICs, and terminal strips for the wiring. Good luck.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Mark Rozak wrote:Test box is called Test Module Assy found in TM 9-2320-280-20-3 with change 1, on Pages are 1051 to 1080. Looks like a box with 4 pigtails for engine connection and body connection, a couple ICs, and terminal strips for the wiring. Good luck.
Those IC's are banked resistors in DIP (Dual In line Package), 14 pins so, 7 resistors each. What ex-actually is this for? 4 very expensive plugs, in a tiny box going to 3 regular diodes, and 13 LED's tide together in a rats net of cables. I take it, 1 plug (with the 9 pins) is suppose to connect the PCB to the engine harness and pass through all the connections, the other 8 pin plug is suppose to connect the body harness and pass through to the PCB again. And this is suppose to tell you that your box is working....really?

I was thinking of something a little more useful like that little port you see on the S3 boxes that has a cap on it, and you plug a reader into that and it's suppose to tell you all kinds of crazy things like you have X of the 8 glow plugs dead, etc. Thats what I was envisioning building.

Sgt Bennett
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Sgt Bennett » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:50 am

I'm assuming they had this all figured out when they designed the new S3 boxes with the additional cannon plug installed. Perhaps they have a specific test unit in mind that hasn't been procured yet, or maybe even an adapter for the existing STE/ICE-R unit? Another possibility is they were merely fulfilling a gov't requirement with the future in mind. Either way, once the capability to accurately troubleshoot these boxes comes available there'll be plenty of money to be made!
Gordon Bennett

1985 M998 HMMWV
1986 Bombardier Iltis, basic
1986 Bombardier Iltis, tailgate
1977 M151A2 USMC

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:55 am

I guess I'm going to have to take one apart and trace the circuit board to see where the connection pins go. I want a tester now, not in some distant future waiting for a government future. I already dismantled one of those electronic push button switches for running the truck lights (you know, the one that keeps failing and people say they cause your truck to catch fire?), so how hard can it be to reverse engineer an S3 box?

emmado22
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by emmado22 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:26 pm

The "build it yourself" tester that is in the back of one of the manuals wont work for the new style PCB boxes.. This info comes from TACOM. I posted info about this a while ago on here. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=231237&hilit=PCB+box+tester
Army trucks

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm

emmado22 wrote:The "build it yourself" tester that is in the back of one of the manuals wont work for the new style PCB boxes.. This info comes from TACOM. I posted info about this a while ago on here. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=231237&hilit=PCB+box+tester
Ok, so there are no documents or schematics of any kind what so ever on the S3 box's? Or is all that kept from the public and under lock and key by KDS?

Mark Rozak
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Mark Rozak » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:57 pm

What is the last change on your service manuals? Change 6 dated August 2009? IIIRC, the parts manuals for newer models were large and full of errors. They are now interactive online. 1151 series service volume 2 still shows inline PCB test box. No mention of test port. When was S3 box fielded?

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:29 pm

I find it odd, because all that box is, is a few resistors and LEDs measuring a few slow switching voltage changes. The S3 is digital, so it strikes me as if you wanted to monitor whats going on, then you need a logic analyzer not just some lights on a panel. Then you would have to know what protocol is going up and down the engine harness, and be able to interpret the data on the wires.

snock
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by snock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:55 am

I can fix them which is why I've bought a few from you. The worst part of these is the gate drive circuit for the two or three MOSFETs that switch the glow plug power. There is also a F/V circuit to detect whether or not the engine is running from the alternator AC output tap. The rest is very simple. To bench test and troubleshoot them all you should need is a 24VDC power supply, oscilloscope, and function generator to simulate the alternator. A lot can be checked out with just an ohmmeter without power applied. I haven't opened up that S3 box I just got from you because I'm in the middle of a move. I'm working (slowly) on a drop in replacement for the KDS boxes and it looks like the mounting studs are in a different location between the different variants. I don't think the S3 boxes are anything special. Based on the pictures I've seen, it looks like the PCB from a white label KDS box with a J1939 data acquisition card added on.
1989 M998
1964 M151 w/1967 M416
1986 M1009

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:13 pm

How much you selling the S3 kits for? I was actually considering developing my own box (like one that can beep at me when I start it up to tell me I have dead glow plugs, or with a small LCD on it so I can stick my head under the dash and see the status of whats going on with my truck, then I can make my own command start and anti-theft/tracking hardware), but it costs money to make professional circuitry, and none of my version 1.0 circuit boards ever work as planned so I often need to build a few versions of my project in order to get it just right.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”