Visual difference of Basic and Supplemental Armor HMMWV Hardtop?

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

FKAM
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Visual difference of Basic and Supplemental Armor HMMWV Hardtop?

Post by FKAM » Thu May 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Can anyone describe/show the visual difference between a HMMWV basic and supplemental armor (M1025/26) hardtops?

From the manual the part numbers for a basic are 12339623-1 and 12339631-2 and supplemental 5595393 and 12339623-3. But there is no description, so when I'm looking at pictures, when they come up for sale and no part number is provided (or are wrong). I would like to be able to look for some visual cues in the pictures that would let me know which one they may be.

Thanx
AoUS Retired

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Visual difference of Basic and Supplemental Armor HMMWV Hardtop?

Post by dilvoy » Thu May 03, 2018 9:11 pm

SA Sponsons have an added layer of steel spot welded to the inside of the main part of the sponson with a metal plate of sorts spot welded at the rear. Hard top panel also has four individual added steel plates welded to the under side of the top panel as well as covers spot welded over the inner part of the side rail area. Easy to spot this last item too, because the holes are small and round instead of oval. If you take them apart and weigh the added metal it does not add up to much weight, but SA Parts really feel much heavier when handling them.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

FKAM
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Visual difference of Basic and Supplemental Armor HMMWV Hardtop?

Post by FKAM » Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanx dilvoy.

I was wondering if the Oval vs round holes was a visual indicator. Also I figured out that I had the part numbers in my notes mixed up a little too. that help some of my confusion.
AoUS Retired

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”