Need Guidance in solving 200A dual voltage alternator issue.

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Need Guidance in solving 200A dual voltage alternator issue.

Post by Retired War Horses » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:41 am

Freaking hilarious...come post questions and pics, but totally ignore for the most part anyone’s answers.
And on top of it, answers from subject matter experts.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 pm

:lol: :lol:
Tell him to call AMG service dept. They will help him out.

Jason

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by RockHillWill » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:32 pm

WOW!!! Did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I did not quit, just busy with another project for awhile. I have it running for now, and will dive into the finer details when this situation is over. I do appreciate all that you all have done for me. I built Winston Cup stock cars for 26 years and my talk is often 'misunderstood' when posting. Back in the day I worked with a rough crowd, and I was assuming that most of you were in the military, and I assumed that most of you were thick skinned as well.

I am an administrator for the website Allmetalshaping and as such I host a metal shaping event once a year. I have folks from 3 foreign countries and 22 different states that are attending this year and this Humvee project has taken it's toll on time and patience. I had to take a step back for awhile and attend to those preparations. When this event is over I am presenting metal shaping seminar's in Tennessee and then Minnesota, then I will be back on this project in late April. I have restored two cars (Bill Elliott's race car that he won the million dollars in, and a Model A truck that was mine) that are in the Henry Ford museum and a Richard Petty race car that was put in the Smithsonian Institute. I built and owned a stock car in the mid '80's that was the worlds fastest stock car for 18 months. I only share this to share that I feel capable of understanding most details and mechanisms VS my admitted poor knowledge of the electrical side of these projects.

I signed on to this site because I was told that it was "THE' place to learn about Humvees, and I have no problem agreeing with that. The addition of my other input was a courtesy to share information that I found from my own research. Others have gone out of their way to share their research with me and I was only trying to contribute in the only way I could at this time. I am attentive to details and have a desperate need to understand what I am doing before I dive into something. I make every effort to triangulate input to find a perspective that I understand, and I was only sharing what I had accumulated. It was not intended to be confrontational, but rather additional information.

Steve: The 'Freaking hilarious' comment is diametrically opposed to the sterling reputation that the folks at KASCAR spoke about you. They said I could count on your input. It has been my intent to be respectful and appreciative.

I have had experiences that I would not wish on my work enemy and enjoyed experiences few men can dream of.( I have buried one wife and three daughters and stood as the crew chief in the winners circle of NASCAR.) This Humvee project is the last thing on my bucket list, and up until now it has been mostly an enjoyable endeavor. When I get these metal shaping events behind me, I may give this another try.
Last edited by RockHillWill on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 pm

I'm not a HMMWV mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

Have you checked the RPM at idle? It should be about 600, IIRC.

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 am

Installing things in the "normal" or standard way makes for much easier trouble shooting if problems should arise later on or maybe keeps some weird new problem from popping up like some sort of back feed into the PCB. It also doesn't negate the Tech Manual Trouble Shooting Sections from being used.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

smcki087
G-Private
G-Private

Post by smcki087 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 pm

I added the same 200 amp generator to my 6.2L HMMWV. First disconnect the Kascar grounding harness . Ground the 12v tap per the military instructions. Use the pics from 86humv to make sure the wires are in the correct spot. My 200amp is hooked up the way 86humv has suggested and works perfect. This is a good starting point. If there is still an issue charging, harness / regulator may have been shorted. By the way everyone here is always very helpful, no one was trying to disrespect you. The issue appears to be the wiring from the info, pics. I have the same exact setup with a 6.2l / 200amp hooked up per everyone's instructions posted here.....

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:21 am

Just an update guys. I had a lull in responsibilities and got back to work on the alternator / 12v issues that I have been having. I am not looking for any advice,(but willing to listen). I am just keeping in touch.

(1) Having corrected the charging issue with the alternator I put on about 250 miles with no issues - felt all was good to go with the exception of having a reliable 12v power source.

(2) I connected the 14v terminal on the regulator to the positive post on the REAR battery with a #8 wire as recommended and connected my 12v bus bar to that same positive post and it seemed to work OK, but in two days the batteries started losing voltage and I had to jump the truck twice before I started to look closer at the problem. The FRONT battery had gone bad. I replaced both batteries with AGM batteries and began looking for the problem and found that I had a 12v discharge thru the #8 gauge wire, when I disconnected that wire and put a volt meter between them. I disconnected it from that positive post on the rear battery and I have put another 300 plus miles with no other issues. Puzzled by this, but not willing to worry about it.

(3) I purchased 24v - 12v converter as recommended by an experienced Humvee owner and am happy with the results so far. It has a cooling fan and assorted protective features. The black cable shown at the near side of the switch box provides the 24v input.

(4) I was having difficulty getting the VIC3 system to work. I acquired a 'switch box' as shown in the pictures and acquired the correct cable to connect it from the switch box to the power supply. I was getting 24v to the switch box but not getting any voltage between the two small ports at the power box end of that cable. I downloaded the cable schematic and ohm'd it and found it to be correct, and finally an electrically gifted friend switched and re-soldered two connectors at the outlet connector inside the switch box so that we had 24v between those two end ports. This cable is connected to the far port on the switch box (not easily seen). When testing the system further, we were unable to get the system to work, I finally got what I was told was an experienced 'COM' guy to look at it and he felt that the power supply box was faulty. I replaced that power supply box and now all works well.
Attachments
PeterPallets 008.jpg
PeterPallets 008.jpg (168.28 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”