Help With Brakes

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Help With Brakes

Post by Retired War Horses » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:14 pm

It’s your truck, people upgrade to what you have, not down grade, the 12in rotors stop this truck far better then any 10in rotor.
I own 5 of them and 6 10in rotor trucks, the braking is superior to the 10in
Rear shuttering is normal on fresh pads at low speeds till the pads get worn in, I do a full brake job a month in the shop
On hmmwv’s and H1’s. I’ve had warped rotors straight out of the box.
The Chinese stuff can be crap, as well as Mexico....I try and only use OEM
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

johncarrol
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johncarrol » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:29 am

Yes. I agree that people upgrade to what I have. And I believe AMG upgraded to what I have because Their product was being used to carry more and more payload, and needed more stopping power which is "NOT" what I'm trying to achieve . The only other reason I can think people upgrade to what I have is larger pads will take longer to wear out, but in the case with a HMMWV, the price difference of the 10 inch aftermarket parts makes it almost a "no brainer" to me. The only negative thing I can think of by doing what I am doing is: I am proud to own and drive an American icon that is recognized around the world reminding people of America's military, but I would be ashamed to admit that it has Chinese parts on it. I can't stop thinking about if the 10 inch stuff works, how much money I'll save over the long run. If anyone criticizes me, I hope they are ones that own nothing that came from China. I welcome any comments, but please read all my posts on this subject first.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:39 am

I had a girlfriend from the Philippines. That is close to China. She held up pretty good.

Jason

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am

Do you have the brake limiters and proper proportioning valves?

johncarrol
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johncarrol » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm

You probably already know my answer to that question. I would have thought by using the same calipers and only a 1 inch difference in rotor radius, that nothing but the 10 inch rotor adapter brackets would need changed.

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm

johncarrol wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm
You probably already know my answer to that question. I would have thought by using the same calipers and only a 1 inch difference in rotor radius, that nothing but the 10 inch rotor adapter brackets would need changed.
You might actually change the Hydroboost, Brake Master Cylinder and the two Brake Lines coming out of it to the type used on the early Humvees so your 10" brakes operate as intended. Maybe even the proportioning valve too.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Prop valves are different. Hydrobooster is different. Mastercylinder is different.

johncarrol
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johncarrol » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:14 pm

So, I guess I'm the first to try this and see how it works with just changing the adapters and rotors. I personally think it will work better than what I have now. If not, I'll just buy new 12 inch rotors and pads and hope I get good ones. Thanks for all the help.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Don't forget to put your e-brake back on the prop shaft! :wink: :wink:

Jason

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 pm

The A1 uses the same pro valve,hydro booster and MC with 10in
Rotors IIRC

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:46 pm

johncarrol wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:14 pm
So, I guess I'm the first to try this and see how it works with just changing the adapters and rotors. I personally think it will work better than what I have now. If not, I'll just buy new 12 inch rotors and pads and hope I get good ones. Thanks for all the help.
You are the first, cuz no one would go to smaller brakes and reduce your stopping actions just to save a few dollars.
Seems your dead set on doing this so have at it.
I would never downgrade safety items....

johncarrol
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johncarrol » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:22 am

I did some quick calculations and price checks. If they are dead wrong forgive me, math wasn't my best subject in school. If what I do works, I will spend $1,156.00 in 5 years on brakes. That takes in account, what at least one person that replied to this post thinks: My ONLY problem is: that I don't know how to use my brakes. I'm including 2 complete 10 inch cheap sets a year, 80 pads= $750.00, 10 inch cross drilled rotors w/pads=$106.00, and 4 adapters=$300.00 Total= $1,156.00 If I listen to what a few of you are telling me: not to even try to do it, (but with no proof that it won't work), I will spend $3,200.00 in 5 years. 12" OEM vented rotors $200.00, a set of OEM pads all around each year-(HPG $300.00-set of 4)= $3,000.00 If what I try doesn't work, I am out $406.00 If what I try works, I will save $2,044.00 over 5 years, what at least one of you considers being: "a few dollars". I am a 1 finger typist, so it's not that easy for me to type long paragraphs, but I will try to make time and post a reply in this discussion which explains my theory about reducing the stopping actions and downgrading safety items with what I am trying to do with my brakes so some of you will get a chance to ridicule me again with no proof. But most importantly to me, some may read it and actually think that maybe I am not on the wrong track and could save them money also. For those people, I promise I will reply to this post telling them it did or did not work, which I will know before this summer. So please stay tuned. This is not the first time I had an idea that didn't work and be willing to admit it. By the way, the reply about suggesting I put the e-brake back on the driveshaft, I don't believe I posted that I was having any problem with my e-brake. Please explain?

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Theres others with parts other than dealers.
Nos 12 " rotors....$ 40 ea
Nos 12k pads....$ 90 a set of 4
10K cast adapters.....$ 25 ea.
Nos rear calipers....$ 200 ea.
Nos front calipers.....$ 40 ea.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:16 pm

While you are doing your conversion, you might check to see that your diff output flanges are the correct ones for the rotors you are using, they are properly attached to the stub shafts and that the stub shafts and their bearings aren't working their way out of the diffs.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:23 pm

your 12" pads are on epay, 4 NOS for $45 or best offer. They have about 100 kits.

You can also put calipers on the rear that are the same as the fronts. They are about $21 each reman.

Jason

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”