Replacement Hard door Glass

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Replacement Hard door Glass

Post by Retired War Horses » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 am

If anyone cares...if you would rather not pay the going rate to replace your delaminated X-Door Glass, I have been putting in Regular Tempered Glass, the Size is:

5/16 thick

14 1/8 x 20 1/16

Temepered Clear Glass.

Fits Perfect.....
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Replacement Hard door Glass

Post by Action » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for that info. I was just going to take a bad window with me to the shop.
BAE near me has their own armor glass shop. I wonder what they would charge me to make the originals???

I also noticed that I have 2 thicknesses of those windows. The frames are noticebly thicker, too.
I guess the thinner would be better to help keep the outside warm in the winter.

Jason

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 am

that measurment is for the standard thickness, not the thicker up armored, yes, the frames are thicker, I replaced them with the thinner models.

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi Steve,

Why go with tempered glass? Wouldn't laminated glass be more durable?
I had a buddy of mine driving the truck with me in the passenger seat and he clipped a branch of a tree with the mirror at speed.
The WHAK of the mirror on the armoured glass made me jump. I was glad I had armoured glass in there!
At the time I thought "Lucky that wasn't tempered glass or I'd be wearing it!"

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm

The glass guy said to go with it, this is what I know about it...

Laminated Glass
Laminated glass is produced by bonding layers of glass together under pressure and heat, with a resin called PVB (polyvinyl butyral). This technique is used to create single sheets of glass with multiple layers. The PVB keeps the glass from breaking apart easily and provides high sound insulation. Laminated glass will flex before shattering. Laminated glass is strong but not as strong as tempered glass. Also, laminated glass blocks nearly 99 percent of ultraviolet light transmission.

Tempered Glass
Tempered glass is also sometimes called toughened glass. It is very strong and is often used as safety glass. When tempered glass is broken, it will usually break into very small pieces instead of into big shards. This makes it less likely to cut a person. Tempered glass is known to be several times stronger than laminated glass. Tempered glass is created using chemical and thermal treatments. The treatments give it more balanced internal stress capabilities.

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Yep. Understood.
Laminated Glass is used in windshields and toughend glass is used in side glass and rear glass on cars.
Laminated is more expensive but is more impact resistant

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:36 pm

I gotta say, trying to brake a tempered glass window is darn near impossible....I have seen a hammer bounce off them.
I had a tempered glass sliding door at my old hours some clown tried to break into, he used a baseball bat on the
Window...it broke the bat, I know cuz I had video cams on all my entrances....funny stuff, the alarm went off and he ran.
I had alarm contacts on the windows and doors....

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 am

Try using a self firing centre punch on tempered glas..... :shock:

http://youtu.be/f6oNmIDBmEo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tempering process puts the surface under tension, that's what makes it tougher.
But if you chip the glass through the toughened layer, it releases that energy and the glass completely shatters into tiny crystals.

The ceramic in a smashed spark plug insulator also will shatter toughened glass as it is harder and is very sharp.

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026

Clarke
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Clarke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 am

TheHummerguy wrote:If anyone cares...if you would rather not pay the going rate to replace your delaminated X-Door Glass, I have been putting in Regular Tempered Glass,
What is the going rate - and who has the laminate glass for supplemental armor doors?

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:59 am

There are a couple of reasons why tempered glass isn't used in windshields the most important of which is if a rock chips it it isn't going to blow out and shower your face with glass crystals going 60 MPH. On the other hand the downside of laminated glass in the windshield is that if you go thru it during a crash and then fall back when the vehicle stops it severs whatever went thru it.

Tempered glass is used in side doors specifically because it shatters allowing ERT members to get people out thru them without slicing them up on rough edges. You can take a handful of shattered tempered glass and roll it around in your hand and not get cut. Most ERT personell carry either a knife with a carbide point or an automatic center punch in their kits to break out side and rear glass in case of an emergency.

I had new windshields cut here is San Jose at a local glass shop from 7/16" laminate glass for $45 each so the side glass should be in the same neighborhood. The shop that did it stocks flat laminate sheets and is called Fontaine Glass. They're at 1860 Alum Rock Ave San Jose, CA 95116
(408) 251-2442
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 am

I'm not using temepred glass in the windshield, this is for the doors...Use whatever you want, Seems the Auto Mfg's use Temepred for a reason on Door windows...Plus I called several shops and they all agreed that Tempered was the way to go.
Either way, the reason for the OP was to give the measurements...use a Piece of cardboard for all I care....LOL

Jetnoise400
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Jetnoise400 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:22 am

Cardboard? So more of an "opaque" composite then. :lol:
Sean Nichols
MVCC Webmaster

'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck (resto in progress)
'85 M1038 HMMWV

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 am

TheHummerguy wrote:If anyone cares...if you would rather not pay the going rate to replace your delaminated X-Door Glass, I have been putting in Regular Tempered Glass, the Size is:

5/16 thick

14 1/8 x 20 1/16

Temepered Clear Glass.

Fits Perfect.....

Every place I called around my area states that tempered flat glass is only available in 1/4" or 3/8".
I do have some window frames for the glass that is slightly thicker, but I don't have the black gasket that fits between the glass and frame. I am heading out to find those frame and see how thick that glass is.

Jason

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun May 19, 2013 10:03 am

Well, I found some of the thicker frames with glass in them, so I have the gaskets. But the glass is 5/8" thick. I wonder if I can get tempered glass that thick...But these are heavy. I may not want to lower and raise these things all day! :cry:

Jason

jake-cutter
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by jake-cutter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 am

All of the shops around me have 3/8, no one has 5/16. Will 3/8 work as this appears to be what is for sale on ebay.
HMMWV. Always looking for an APC.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”