Rear Antenna Mount

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

battlebuggy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Rear Antenna Mount

Post by battlebuggy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Having fun working in the garage on the truck during this weather. 12 deg F. out and another foot of snow. Thank god the garage is heated. Anyway... I put on the rear fender a standard antenna mount. Not the real heavy duty aluminum TIG welded thing that has the flat bracket that also bolts onto the side of the fender, but the regular standard mount that just bolts on to the rear panel with 3 bolts. I put a sincgars base on it and I noticed that when the regular 2 piece fiberglass antenna is on the tuning base the whole fender flexes a lot. Doesnt impress me at all. Looks like the fender will eventually fatigue and crack. The whole tail light bucket is moving when the antenna whips around. There must be a missing piece the reinforces this part from the inside of the wheelwell I would guess. What have you guys seen that fixes this issue?

Tnx

Glenn

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Yes, put a big piece of aluminum back there. Cut holes where necessary.

battlebuggy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by battlebuggy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi
Do they have a premade piece that comes with a kit for this of do the shops have to fab things as they go? It looks like a lot of stuff to cut around, and it seems like I would have to get some support from over on the side of the cargo bed possibly with a piece of flat bar or angle stock to brace it. I fugured that before I start reinventing the wheel and getting in to this with a rube goldberg type of fabrication I would see if AMG has actually made a simple to use piece that cures the problem seeing as they have to have thousands of these in service. I can see why they came out with the really heavy duty version that bolts to the rear and the side. Of course that unit is designed for the HD offest adapter that puts the tuner higher and to the side so that the whip antenna clears the vinyl top better. But there are a lot of these rear mount units out there on the slant backs too so I know they must have something for it.

Glenn

George Stojkos
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by George Stojkos » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Glen

I have a complete mounting kit for the base you are describing. It contains the 3 bolts and 3 oversize washers ( 1 1/4" ) with a section of the washer cut flat to miss body bits. There is no special reinforcing plate.
If you are not happy you have to make your own :(

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 pm

Sorry to the bearer od bad news George.. But you don't have the latest kits!
The latest ones come with a triangular reinforcing plate that goes inside the wheel well.

One coner of the trianglular plate is cut off for clearance to the fender/

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

George Stojkos

Post by George Stojkos » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:06 pm

So why haven`t you told me about the new kits before...and why haven`t you bought me one :?: :D

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 pm

You should have said!
I could have thrown in a reinforcement with the "care package" I sent you last week.
BTW, did it arrive? It was sent express post.

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

battlebuggy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by battlebuggy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:20 am

Thanks Jason, Brad and Goerge for the info. I guess the mount kit I installed was the older style as it just had the 3 machine bolts and the fender type washers. Maybe later I will do as Jason suggested and make up a reinforcement plate. In the meantime I also had a high-survivability sincgars armored vehicle antenna setup. It uses a shorter stainless steel antenna and spring on the tuning unit. Because it is smaller and lighter it doesnt seem to flex the body panel much at all, and as another side benefit it clears the garage door to the shop without having to pull it down everytime :) Seems to work good on 6 meters too.

Glenn

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”