Camp Petaluma West Coast MV Swap Meet, Gathering April 24-29, 2018

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Camp Petaluma West Coast MV Swap Meet, Gathering April 24-29, 2018

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 pm

UPDATES ARE NOW ON THE THREAD OVER ON THE EVENTS FORUM. DAY VISITORS SHOULD READ CLOSELY
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=291525

The largest annual MV gathering and militaria swap meet in the West is coming back to Petaluma, CA April 24-29, 2018! Note it's a week later than usual. Event details are in our newsletter, on www.MVCCNews.net, and the primary event thread here on the G is on the EVENTS forum. At some point we will put some inside info on the member-only side of our website.

Here is the thread over on the EVENTS forum. We won't duplicate it here:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=291525

Newly added is the announcement of a Military Dodge Showcase on Friday - all models and eras (half ton participation will be high I hear). Also announcing a Military Motorcycle, Scooter, and Bicycle Showcase on Thursday and Saturday. We will have a very nice MV excursion Friday morning in one of the most scenic and MV-friendly driving areas in the West! A carpool excursion to the Town of Sonoma is planned for the ladies on Thursday and "Thirsty Thursday" BYOB get-together in the late afternoon for all.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Camp Petaluma West Coast MV Swap Meet, Gathering April 24-29, 2018

Post by Kurt Lesser » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Everyone reading this needs to know that ALL reservations need to be made through our wagonmaster, JoAnn. DO NOT call the park directly. For information on reservations please contact JoAnn at mamalesser@yahoo.com with your information. Arrival date, equipment type, and what your interested in. Lodges, cabins, or tent camping. She will do her best to fit your needs with spaces available and if there is nothing currently open she will put your name on a wait list and will contact you if something becomes available.

KOA has a 4 night minimum so please plan your trip accordingly. The most active days are Wednesday through Saturday.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:13 pm

This ad uses the artwork for the 2017 commemorative T-shirt. New 2018 artwork is being created! A similar grayscale ad will be in the upcoming issue of Military Vehicles Magazine.
Ad 120917 Color 80%.jpg
Ad 120917 Color 80%.jpg (241.75 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
Some tan and OD 2017 T-shirts are still available, plus MVCC merchandise. Christmas gifts? See the last newsletter or www.MVCCNews.net. The shirts have a smaller, different image on the front.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

plumst8
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by plumst8 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 am

Hi John,

I have a quick question... My friend and I Normally stay multiple nights each year for the swap meet, unfortunately this year we can only come during the day. I wanted to know about vehicle access for NON-OVERNIGHTERS, my friend Dan is Handicapped and cant get around that easily we normally drive our jeep around.

Can getting vehicle access for his disability be accommodated by the KOA? Last year they where very strict about access, so I wanted to get things figured out before hand.

Thanks for your time!
Mike Weeger

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:06 pm

plumst8 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 am
Hi John,

I have a quick question... My friend and I Normally stay multiple nights each year for the swap meet, unfortunately this year we can only come during the day. I wanted to know about vehicle access for NON-OVERNIGHTERS, my friend Dan is Handicapped and cant get around that easily we normally drive our jeep around.

Can getting vehicle access for his disability be accommodated by the KOA? Last year they where very strict about access, so I wanted to get things figured out before hand.

Thanks for your time!
Mike Weeger
Hi Mike. We have some info coming out in the newsletter this week I think. More tweaks next month. All MVs will be allowed in and we will find spots for them to park. Non-MVs only get inside if they have a camping parking pass. Go to the office to buy your wristbands. This fee is $10 last time.

I am in charge of the common areas for MV parking, and we are hopeful that campers with extra room on their parking pad will offer it to needy day-users or even a camper who can't fit his MV on his campsite. We want as many MVs as possible! We are putting out the word about that. Ditto people like you needing space (unless you are driving around all the time!). Thanks for letting us know early so we can plan.

You didn't mention unloading from a trailer. There are two options. One option is unloading at the offsite parking lot and driving in. Another option which is designed for dry campers but can be used by visitors is renting a site in the Group Camping area at the north end. Should be $10 per night per person like last year. This will bring a wristband AND a car parking pass. Needless to say this is the way to go for someone wanting to get a non-MV in, load or unload parts, have their cooler handy, etc. KOA may open up another Group Area by their small parking lot and entrance road.

Any camper can store their car-hauler trailer and their civvy vehicle for that matter, in KOAs commercial RV storage yard right next to the Group Area. The tenants are not allowed in there during our week, so we may double park and block their rigs. This frees up space in campsites for MVs, vendor tables, displays.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:15 pm

There is handicapped parking near the check in office.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M274A2 Mule
M890 Crew cab

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 pm

But not a lot of handicap parking....

Here is the updated half page ad that will be in the next Military Vehicle Magazines due out in April. It features the brand new event logo that will be on the back of the souvenir T-shirts that will be for sale. Over-the-top artwork thanks to VP Don Gomes and Secretary Johnny Verissimo. There will be a small logo on the front featuring a jeep. It may be possible to buy a shirt before the event. Info on www.MVCCNews.net. Arrive in style!!!!
Ad 031918 Color JPG 75%.jpg
Ad 031918 Color JPG 75%.jpg (247.98 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am

JoAnn got a call from Woody at KOA today (2/16) that any sites reserved by our group that did not have deposits on them have been taken off of the MVCC listing and will be available to the public on a first come, first serve basis. Any reservations made from this point forward will not be made at the negotiated MVCC rates.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M274A2 Mule
M890 Crew cab

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:19 am

UPDATES ARE NOW ON THE MVCC WEBSITE WWW.MVCCNEWS.NET IN THE EVENTS AREA. DAY VISITORS ESPECIALLY SHOULD READ THE BASIC TRAINING SECTION CLOSELY.

Here on the G we are publishing most Camp Petaluma info on the EVENTS forum. On 3/25/18 I added more photos to the original post. Go check them out!

MVCCers with a sharp eye spotted the incorrect time for the Dodge Showcase on the display ad in the last newsletter. It was created before the POCs knew the MV Excursion was scheduled for the morning. So they moved the display to 1400-1700 (that be 2-5pm for those in Rio Linda). I think it's a good time because probably more visitors will be at the meet. Hopefully some commuters in Dodges too! Will we set a record Dodge count???

If you are able to post on other MV forums or know unaffiliated MV owners and fans, please help us get the word out to people who don't see our info in the MVCC newsletter, website, on SteelSoldiers.com, or here on the G. For example it's important to know about the change from buses servicing one offsite lot a set number of days and hours to using J's Taxis for on-call shuttling from and to ANY offsite parking place. They need to have a charged cell phone! This will be a convenient service because visitors are free to park anywhere, like across the boulevard at Cattlemen's Restaurant or at their hotel, and they run every day of the week and at night. This means they can hang out at the meet into the evening, plus campers can use J's to go downtown to eat or party. Also important news is that KOA set a 100 visitor-per-day rule. We don't know how many visitors we will get but we hope all the hobbyists get the word, especially those planning to commute in their MV. Get there early especially on Friday, Saturday! Tell all your Marin, Sonoma, Napa friends!

Thanks.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:10 am

Important info for day-use visitors is up on http://mvccnews.net/petaluma_spring.html in Basic Training. Bottom line is it is good to be driving a MV in, not a "civilian" car, unless registered as a camper in a regular site, cabin, or Group Camping space.

But the offsite shuttling situation is more flexible this year although it costs a couple bucks.

Also an updated Activities Schedule is posted.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Great weather forecast in the 70s! Prepare to peg the Fun Meter! Big Dodge display planned Friday with cash prizes sponsored by Midwest Military. Motorcycle, Scooter, Bicycle display Thursday and Saturday. Both showcases planned for Rec Hall area. Nice MV excursion on Friday morning 0830 departure, line up at entrance drive. Ladies trip to Sonoma Thursday morning followed by Thirsty Thursday. What more can we want?

Reminder that the event details are on our website MVCCNews.net, and on the EVENTS forum here on the G, not so much on this forum although last minute info will be posted here.

We think the daily day visitor limit of 100 set by KOA will be fuzzy. We don't know if we will hit that limit any particular day. But if we do, be driving a MV or wear your MVCC name badge. It should help! But hopefully a non-issue. Any issues call me at 415-847-2801.

Visitors not driving MVs park anywhere offsite, like at Cattlemen's Restaurant in the REAR, call J's Taxis for shuttle at 707-364-1544. $3 per mile special deal. 24/7 service!
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”