M-43 Air Force Ambulance

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
takpak
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

M-43 Air Force Ambulance

Post by takpak » Sun May 06, 2018 3:40 pm

As I near the completion of my 1953 M-43 Air Force ambulance project, I'm still looking for some answers as to how to properly stencil/label the truck. I've been able to determine most everything, however I still have a few questions for those out there who might know the right answers. So, here's hoping........I want to make it as accurate as possible.

1. Did AF ambulances have the caduceus symbol on each side? I've found evidence that something was there, but is so obliterated as to be unreadable. If so, did they have the terms "U.S. Air Force Medical Service above or below it, or both?

2. Did ambulances have the hood number stenciled on them? I can find no evidence that this one did.

3. Did all A.F. ambulances have the word "Ambulance" with the smaller crosses (one each side) above the windshield, at the front of the roof line? I've seen both with, and without.

4. I've been told that ALL A.F. vehicles had "For Official Use Only" on them, but I can't figure out where it would go, unless under the caduceus? Certainly not the driver's door since the spare tire would cover it up???

5. I do know that NO national symbols were placed on the ambulance anywhere, so no worries there.

6. Am I missing anything, or overdoing it? I want to make it as accurate as possible, without it going overboard and being "gaudy" so to speak.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.
Terry K.
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Navy
Current: 1962 M-422A1, 1953 Air Force M-43, 1942 Navy EP GPW Script

Previous: 1954 M-37, 1971 M-35, 1951 M-38

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: M-43 Air Force Ambulance

Post by dpcd67 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am

I know nothing about the air force except I used to call for A-10 support and one of them put 3 rounds into one of my tanks. Killed the tank (hit the oil coolers) and wounded the driver.
Anyway, the only AF ambulance I found was blue, had a white logo (maybe the AF Base logo) on the right door, and yellow lettering as follows:
US AIR Force,
53K 29002
For Official Use Only.
And on the top front cab, two red crosses and the usual big red cross on the body side. No other markings. Couldn't see the back.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”