Swiss Tire size vs. NDT

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Swiss Tire size vs. NDT

Post by USAFpj » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:37 am

On my WC52, I have (2) NDT tires from Specialty Tire, and (2) of the Swiss/Holland tires with European tread. Though both types are 9.00x16, the NDT's are roughly 2 to 3 inches taller than the Euro tires.

Any harm in running the larger tires on the rear??

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Swiss Tire size vs. NDT

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 am

The STA 9.00 X 16 NDT's match or come close to the other make USA GI issued 9.00X16 NDT's over the years.
The size difference will give no real problems on hard surfaced roads as long as you are in rear wheel drive. Off road on loose gravel, soft soil will do no real harm but there will be minor slippage due to circumference. 4 Matching tires will be better tho.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 am

To clarify, in the loose dirt/gravel one set of tires will spin differently than the other, this can be a problem if you do a lot of 4 wheeling, as your either pushing an axle or dragging one against the progress of the other axle....really hard on u-joints....scuffs rubber off one or the other tire if dragging or shoving it around.
On hardball it will roll just fine as long as the transfers not engaged. Might sit with an angle (tilt) forward or backward depending on which axle the smaller tires are on, which could also slightly impact braking performance (and fuel gauge level if really severe)
Don't even think of mixing the different tires on the same axle, the pinion would have to be constantly running a whole lot to keep up with the opposite side wheel....might trash a gear in there.
It's similar to running around on a donut spare tire, looks funny, will do the job, but best is to get the tires matched.
No sweat as long as you think it through from the above perspective.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:32 am

Thanks for the replies, guys!

No problem getting 2 new NDT's as they're pretty cheap :shock: :shock:

Peterdodge6volt
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Peterdodge6volt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Yes using 2 different thread types will be trouble for loose offroad and snow.
I have had that same problem on my unrestored dodge when driving around the mountains and around the farm for reenactment as the back keeps spinning on mud and loose road hill.
Also it may can harm the front diff a little if you keep the 2 different thread types and doing a off road for like 6 days 4WD and hit back on the on road and driving 40 or 45 mph you will start feeling a little shake and sound every 3 seconds, that mean half of gear drive is damaged and worn out. I had this twice on the un restore fire truck dodge wc 51 and now in progress of stripping apart and fix everything and put it back original and with all same tyes.

Use all same thread tyes.

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”