Dodge WC 51 Axle History

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Dodge WC 51 Axle History

Post by johnseidts » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 pm

Some questions and the story behind them:

When were the changes made between the early rears and later rears? My understanding is that the early rears are 8 5/8" and the later ones are more than 9". Is this correct? Are all bolt-on differential covers indicative of the earlier rears? Are all welded-on differential covers indicative of the later rears?

Here's my problem. I bought a running 1943 WC-52 for a customer at an auction. We found that the front rear was disconnected (no drive shaft, no drive axles, and no brakes) so it could not use 4WD. I have multiple spares and decided to remove a steering rear from a WC-55 to overhaul off the truck and replace the steering rear on the front of the WC-52. Today, when were were working on the WC-52, we found that the rear on it has a welded differential cover and the front is a bolt-on type.

Since the last owner of the WC-52 is deceased, I have no way of asking him what's going on. But what I am thinking is he had to replace the front axle on the WC, did so, then discovered it had the wrong ratios, so disconnected it to be able to run and drive the truck.

So before I go further and remove the rear axle off the WC-55 to have a matching set under the WC-52, I am asking here if I need to worry about this at all, try to re-hook up the steering rear on the truck, and make it work. Or, if the steering rear and rear are different, if there is a better way than taking a set of axle housings off the WC-55 and putting complete, known matching axle set under the truck.

I am leaning towards using the WC-55 front and rear axles complete to solve this problem, but welcome any advice. Thanks!
John K. Seidts RN:
Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items
Wanted- WWII US Medical and Engineer Items

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”