Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Peterdodge6volt
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Little trouble with the front right wheel

Post by Peterdodge6volt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 am

Hi Dodge owner
After all these years.
I have a lot of trouble for 1 years with the front right wheel on the WC51. When I ready to drive it always some time lock it self and while driving it some times it brakes it self. But when I go backwards with the foot on the brakes to fix the job and it goes fine for an 1 hour.
Last weekend I was at Corowa and the wheel cylinder brake off and it was all new lines, wheel cyclinder, and master cyclinder.
I was so lucky to have a spare front right wheel cyclinder, so I change it and everything when fine for 4 days and the fifth day on the way home it started do play up with me again.
Is it the brake lines under the engine creating heat and pressure.

Thanks
Peter
Last edited by Peterdodge6volt on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Little trouble with the front right wheel

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Brake line could be restricted, or the lining on the shoe is soaked with old fluid or grease.(even a little bit)
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 pm

I would eliminate/suspect a flex line to that wheel is faulty, provided this is the only wheel this is happening on.

When this problem occurs....quickly release & re-tighten the bleeder on that wheel cylinder.
If a good squirt & brakes are released this means the rubber flex line is suspect & probably needs replacing.
This 'flex' is the only item/cause, other than crushed bundy tubing that can hold pressure to one wheel.

Wheel cylinder eliminated when parts were changed unnecessarily.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Peterdodge6volt

Post by Peterdodge6volt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Thank you so much both of you.
I went to have a look at the front line all ok but found the flex hose damage rubbing on the tyres when turning right.
When I change the wheel cyclinder I forgot to check the flex hose.

Thank you so much, I will have to order a new hose.

Cheers Peter

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Even a little bit of old brake fluid or grease that has soaked in that may be invisible, will come to the surface and cause brakes to lock or grab from just a little heat resulting from brake shoe friction. :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Peterdodge6volt

Post by Peterdodge6volt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks Ben
When I change the wheel cyclinder last week, I bleed the fluid line about 12 times till it went yellow clear colour from dark yellow colour.

Ok have a few spare brake shoes and once the flex hose arrived I will change the brake shoes and the flex hose.

And will get back you if any changes or not.

Peter

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”