WD-57 Command Car

ALL auctions and ALL listings from other websites.
lester4238
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

WD-57 Command Car

Post by lester4238 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Just saw a rebuilt WD-57 Command on a local online auction. Go to www.downsauctions.com and check out the last item on the Tarter Estate Auction.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: WD-57 Command Car

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:13 am

Looks solid! They do online bidding, too...

http://downsauction.hibid.com/catalog/1 ... n/?cpage=2

Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:27 am

Not sought after, but a few observations from an owner/user FWIW:

Great, no, make that an EXCELLENT overall vehicle that I would expect to see around a 40K sale if the prices met typical requested sales prices I've seen in the past few years. This may even be a record selling vehicle if it had advertising, but I doubt it will get the exposure.

Nitpicky observations:
- Bracket added for additional mirror on passenger side. (Add the mirror back in if it's bolted on, or is it MIA?)
- Extra tailights added under original rear lights (I just simply added LEDs inside my 2 rear reflectors instead)
- Keyed Ignition
- Centering of the radio box: not saying it's wrong, but I thought they pushed them to the left as much as possible (my 56's floorboard mounts were drilled over to the left as far as the base foot could reach) so they could exit on the right, centering it closes off both doors...maybe it's right, but first I've seen of it done that way. (nice original rifle rack cover on display too, most were torn off purposely or rotted away from what my Pop told me)
- Hook and Chain fairlead on the winch are Deuce sized (too large)
- Side of that MU-2 winch drum looks flat, it may not be an original MU-2 drum, there should be a few raised portions on an MU-2 drum (and edge).

- Look closely at the front driver tire, it has DISC brakes, at least up front, possibly in the rear (I did both front and rear on mine) this is about a 2K+ mod, recommended for safety and I bet 99% of those looking at the photo's didn't catch that.

- Not sure if it's an original 57/58 or 52, etc. as data plate was very obviously changed (without even closing the original rivet holes), there may be winch extensions, I cannot see from the photos and serial #'s the only way to judge the type body it was supposed to have.

Gripe comment :evil: :
So they want to get the most money out of it, why photo a fuel can and water bucket ($50 accessories) :?: and then show the engine compartment in a shadow? or the Shovel and Pick set ($100) instead of a full on rear view or under carriage view...I suppose they want the old guy with money charm photos instead of the meat.

V/R W Winget
1942 WC56 converted to WC57/58
w /4:30 axle ratios, 4-Disc brakes & '78 non-power Vette master cyl.
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

lester4238
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by lester4238 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Most of the auctions company's around here don't have much appreciation of military items of any type. I went to one a few years ago at a farm retirement and there was 7, M211's, there was no mention of them in the add about the auction. All of them almost never mention any military items. I believe this is the first time in 25 years I have seen something mentioned in the auction listing. Good eye on catching the disc brakes, totally missed them. I think I might tease myself and go preview it. Can't buy but sure can drool a lot. Anybody want some pictures?

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 am

If you do go, check out the rear brakes and see if they converted them to Disc as well. I'd like to see the brake resevoir if it's been modded for the Discs too.
Should have a large type Generator on the Drivers side if it was a Command Car, especially with the radios.
My curiosity asks what the inside of the tailgate looks like (there may be a door set stowed in there)
I haveone, don't need another, but this one's pretty clean from the looks of her, cleaner than mine, but I wouldn't let her go after 30 years of Love Hate with her...If I don't drive her she likes to get ornary and not start...I think it's for spite sake :wink:
V/R W WInget

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 am

$5250, but most of the month left. Still curious if anyone has kicked the tires in person.
W Winget

Return to “Auction, Craigslist, Other Listings”