Duro-Chrome OE wrenches

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
zoob
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Duro-Chrome OE wrenches

Post by zoob » Fri May 11, 2018 11:57 am

Just wondered if anyone has a set of period correct Open End wrenches, Duro-Chrome brand? I see (and have) plenty of the 27C ones, but none of the other sizes. Thoughts?

JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: Duro-Chrome OE wrenches

Post by JAB » Fri May 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Which version do you consider to be "period correct"? I'll have to look when I get home, but I think I have two sets but of slightly different styles. I know I got a couple of cosmolined 1031A's from "Nora" (an eBay seller that had a lot of that size in re-packs) several years ago. Some people have said they need the G-prefix to be correct. I'm going from memory here, so I may be a little fuzzy on that.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Jeff! The sweet lady was actually Norma, Norma Johnson. I also purchased quite a few 731A wrenches from her.

Personally I prefer the so called circle X ( which is actually DC in a circle!) in the natural metal finish. As for most makes excluding Williams the 723 size is the scarce one: I stopped years ago to assemble jeep kits using DuroChrome wrenches, and put them in GMTK sets instead.

However, the SNL G-540 lists Duro Chrome wrenches as normal supply just as Barcalos or BHM, and this fact does grant to Duro Chromes a very legitimate acceptance, at least from a great part of the tool experts on this forum.

See:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=269171
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Silly's MB » Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 pm

I still think it is an interesting idea to use a manufacturer that is close to the production site of the vehicle. Willys and Fairmount were just round the corner so to speak and it makes perfect sense for a delivery point of view. It is an idea that has dismissed out of hand before though.
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB
Complete MVMTS 100% sourced in the ETO

Empty vessels make the most noise .......

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”