Federal screwdrivers

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
TonyStandefer
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Federal screwdrivers

Post by TonyStandefer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:41 pm

I did some googling last night regarding the federal screwdrivers as shown on the Willys blueprint and referencing the nos box shown earlier in the forum,

I only found one mention of a furney sherwin co. Out of Detroit that was in business during this time, possibly a tool supplier or distributor? Who knows. The other lead being the bemus & call co out of Springfield massachussets, sold their wrench line shortly before the war, possible rebrand or private label, but can't find any brand or patent listing. If anyone has better sources in either Detroit or Springfield we might be able to dig further for wartime information
Willys MB 340931. DOD 6-9-1944
Mvpa 1996 convention 1st place motorpool class
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

TonyStandefer

Re: Federal screwdrivers

Post by TonyStandefer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Received more information on the federal tool co in Springfield mass. A helpful historian in massachussets provided confirmation of the companies existence during ww2 quote

Hi Tony. I wasn’t able to find much info - even the Springfield Republican archives only have a few passing references to the company in the 40s and 50s. I checked a few city directories, and the 1943 one lists it as being at 45 Warwick Street, with Raymond Moretti as president. In 1959, it was at 616 Berkshire Ave, and Kenneth Sullivan was listed as president. Otherwise, I wasn’t able to find much else. I hope this helps!
-Derek
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

TonyStandefer

Post by TonyStandefer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Further

"The incorporators were: Renato Moretti, John J. Figoni and Mary Jane Walters. The company joined the Chamber of Commerce in 1944.
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

TonyStandefer

Post by TonyStandefer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:39 pm

More information on the federal tool co

can't find anything much on this company. It first appears in the Springfield Directory in 1943. It's only listed as a tool company, but no information about what they made. It was started by an Italian man (Ray Moretti) who attended a technical school in Italy. He ran the business for about 4 years and then it went to other people. He was also a restaurateur and his obit. focuses on that. The tool company isn't even mentioned. I checked the local newspaper for articles or ads and found nothing there of interest. I did see online that Federal Tool Co. tools are featured in an exhibit at MoMA in NYC.

At this point we can only say that federal tool co existed during ww2 with the earliest mention in 1943. No corroboration as to being a government supplier or anything
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:35 pm

TonyStandefer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:39 pm
No corroboration as to being a government supplier or anything
That's not true, Tony. I have a Federal 9-1/2 machinists' screwdriver (41-S-1385), issued to the Motor Vehicle Mechanics Tool-Set (MVMTS) version of the WWII GMTK from 1938 to 1944, with a US Army Ordnance Dept stock number (so-called "TAXI" number type) on it. This "TAXI" number can be found in the 1945 ORD 5 SNL J-4. Link to G503.com photos here.

The problem with Federal is that there is no corroboration they were a Willys factory supplier. We simply don't know if the "(FEDERAL)" appended to the end of the "FURNEY-SHIRWIN CO." optional source on the Willys MB engineering drawing A-375 refers to Federal Tool Company. That vague parenthetical phrase is not nearly definitive enough. Furney-Sherwin (with an "e" not an "i") was a brokerage, and they may have carried Federal Tool Company screwdrivers, but they may have also been a supplier to the federal government, for the Federal Standard Stock Catalog. Ironically, that would be more a windfall to collectors than getting Federal Tool verified.

As for more on Furney-Sherwin, you may have missed my post on the IRWIN thread, linked here.
TEMPORARY DUTY

TonyStandefer

Post by TonyStandefer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I stand corrected. You have proved that federal was a govt supplier. That was where I was heading. All I can add to your excellent research is that there is little to no historical reference to the federal tool co. As far as the local Springfield mass library and museum is concerened. As you stated a thin reference at best.

Thanks for replying, seems like you already went down the path I was headed
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 pm

No problem. Two heads are better than one!
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:51 pm

I found a handle stamped Federal driver today. As you can see, like the ink stamped Irwin's, it has a rough finished shank. I do believe that the rough finished shank dates it to ww2 production.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”