D-I SET

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

D-I SET

Post by pjones » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:56 am

Over the years I have found or purchased several of these sets. They're always great sets with a nice finish and as often as not still in cosmoline. Two of these sets have included an "oddball" socket. One set included a Walden socket and this one includes a 42+ WRIGHT. Clearly its a Duro manufactured set and box. Where in the process do you think these "oddball" sockets ended up in the set? Perhaps worth noting is the near matching finish.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: D-I SET

Post by d42jeep » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Phil,
Since these sets have a FSN in the NAF catalog (41-W-2997), I imagine that they were used with many other toolsets during the war. What is surprising to me is that they are often as complete as they are. It shouldn't be too surprising that some other wartime tools would have been tossed into the box. I see your newest set has an extra 1/2" drive ratchet plug. I always wonder why those are missing. A couple of my sets had a random piece or two missing which I managed to fill back in.
-Don
Attachments
IMG_1959.JPEG
D-I sets (41-W-2997)
IMG_1959.JPEG (148.34 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Nice looking sets Don! I'm sure that pieces were thrown in over time with whatever was handy or available as sets were used and pieces lost without consideration to brand. The two sets I'm referring to were unused (i.e NOS vs unused and repacked) with one still in cosmoline including the Walden socket and this one which includes the WRIGHT socket. It just made me curious what scenarios might explain how they came to be in a DI set. Probably not important.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:18 am

Hi Phil,
FWIW, I agree with Don. If you're implying that the Walden and Wright sockets may have been put in the sets at the Duro factory, that's highly unlikely, in my opinion. The premise for that possibility seems to be your conclusion that these two Duro sets with the "oddball" pieces were in a NOS condition (i.e., from the Duro factory) when you got them. How are you distinguishing that condition from a military agency NOS condition (i.e., unused during the war, and repacked for long-term storage)? Did you get them in an original, unopened, unmolested box or packaging with Duro markings? Other than that, there's really no way to ascertain that the sets weren't handled by the military agency, at which time any missing pieces were replaced with pieces from other mfgrs and given the same long-term storage treatment (i.e., cosmolene) as the rest of the set, as Don alluded to.

EDIT: While it would be cool to have a bona fide NOS set, the "oddball" pieces actually help validate the set as wartime and military! :)
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Greg,
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I was only trying to gather opinions on how these unused "oddball" sockets ended up in these unused sets. I didn't conclude or mean to imply that they were NOS but instead described them as unused i.e NOS vs unused and repacked in my second post. There is no doubt that Don's scenario is the most likely but I was just curious if there was any other possible scenarios in the process where they may have ended up in the set. An area of interest of mine is how these sets were packaged, shipped and reassembled overseas and that led to my inquiry.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 am

My bad for reading too much into it.
TEMPORARY DUTY