IRWIN (Ink stamped on wood) screwdrivers

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: IRWIN (Ink stamped on wood) screwdrivers

Post by d42jeep » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 pm

lucas wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:24 pm
Here is an ink stamped Irwin...not mine; but not right for GMTK.......https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Irwin-Scre ... SwGW9aobwG
Hugh,
The one on your link looks correct for the extra heavy duty driver (41-S-1385) in the GMTK, although I’ve never seen one stamped that far off center before. The drivers were dipped in shellac as part of the manufacturing process.
Just as a point of information, even though the handles on the extra heavy duty 9-1/2” drivers are the same length as the 11” drivers, they are slightly narrower and not a perfect fit as my example below shows.
Attachments
BD339EDC-26F0-4CF6-B780-14462C8471BD.jpeg
Mostly all ink marked Irwin screwdrivers
BD339EDC-26F0-4CF6-B780-14462C8471BD.jpeg (147.33 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
5AD8DD26-46D9-4E81-B03A-4D4634235441.jpeg
11” Irwin driver with 9-1/2” ink marked handles
5AD8DD26-46D9-4E81-B03A-4D4634235441.jpeg (129.32 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:53 am

As a couple of guys on here know I snagged a NOS Ink stamped Irwin of the auction site with a Government shank stamped one thrown in for the buy it now of $20.00, I don't look anymore as I will nerver be that lucky again.

Anyone looking for a tool kit should look long and hard at what Luca has to offer and I wish I had know about G503 when I was putting a kit together as it can be one stop shoping for decant correct items from people like Luca and others who know their stuff.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

lucas
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lucas » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:58 am

Agree fully with you, John........A one stop purchase form Luca would have saved me SO much money, stress, gasoline and time over the years; and so many purchases of the WRONG tools......Some people enjoy the "hunt", but............I have other things to"hunt" for.....Hugh.
45 MB 428129
3-15-45
20692926 (est.)

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 am

pjones wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:13 am
Tony, there is nothing wrong with a ink stamped Federal driver. Federal is a verified supplier of screwdrivers to Willys. Lenox and Fairmount were as well.
Unless you have a source I don't know about, Phil, I have no information and don’t know of any information that verifies Lenox as a Willys screwdriver supplier. You may be thinking of Tobrin. Tobrin appears as an optional source on engineering drawing A-375. Lenox does not. And Lenox is not cited in any other Willys documents I know of.

As for FEDERAL screwdrivers - that is, screwdrivers made by the Federal Tool Company, in Springfield, Mass., and ink-stamped "FEDERAL" on the handle - if Fred and I ever do a version 2.0 of our tools guide, I'd be strongly recommending to him that we back way off of that one, or at least caveat the heck out of it a lot more than we did the first time around. The evidence (if you can even call it that) is very weak, in my opinion.

I'll go through it, and you and other collectors can make up your own minds.

The word "FEDERAL" appears on engineering drawing A-375, in an area on the drawing where optional sources were added, but it appears as a parenthetical addition next to "FURNEY-SHIRWIN CO." The entire citation reads like this, verbatim: "FURNEY-SHIRWIN CO. (FEDERAL)".

Fred has a G503.com sales ad for an "Old Federal No. 5 Perfect Handle Style" screwdriver, ostensibly made by Furney-Shirwin Co. The ad is unconfirmed. It may very well be simply conflating the two names based on the A-375 drawing reference.

Unfortunately, the problems in logic pile up from there.

I can find no records of a Furney-Shirwin Company. Per several sources, including Lumber World Vol. 49 (1925) and Michigan Manufacturers and Financial Record (1925), the Furney-Sherwin Company (note, with an "e") was incorporated in Detroit, in 1925, on $15,000 capital. (That would be worth $213,800 today.) Oddly, their address was listed as the General-Motors Building. They were described as brokers, dealing in furniture and fixtures. According to the 1940 Michigan Dept of Revenue, Stocks of Domestic and Foreign Corporations: Information Relative to Partial and Contributed Values Issued Under the Michigan Intangibles Tax Act (Act 301, P.A. 1939), they were still located in Detroit and still paying taxes in 1940. I also found several obituaries and other references to people who had worked for Furney-Sherwin as "representatives." Even if we assumed that they diversified their brokerage to include hand tools, and even if the "Old Federal" screwdriver in Fred's found ad was acquired by Furney-Sherwin from a screwdriver OEM, and in turn supplied by the Furney-Sherwin Company to Willys, we don't know for sure if the "FEDERAL" in the "FURNEY-SHIRWIN CO. (FEDERAL)" citation is in reference to the Federal Tool Company, in Springfield, Mass. That company was started on February 21, 1942, just a few months before "FURNEY-SHIRWIN CO. (FEDERAL)" was added to drawing A-375 as an optional supplier. And "FEDERAL" may very well be a reference to Furney-Sherwin brokering for the Federal Standard Stock Catalog.

In short, the link between the "FEDERAL" stamped handle screwdrivers and the MB toolkit, vis-à-vis a parenthetical addition to a mysterious brokerage, is less than definitive.

Then again, we are talking about the same tool for which Fairmount is listed as a supplier, so it's typified by craziness from the outset. :)
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:12 am

Greg, thanks for adding your thoughts. As always they are much appreciated. Ha! So much for my aging brain! But for the record I was thinking Tobrin!

Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:57 pm

GI. wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm
lucakiki wrote:

Yes, at times I refuse to sell if for any reason I do not like the guy.The list is not long, but from time to time I do add a name.
What do you mean by that statement ?

Anything wrong with my English? I think it is clear enough, but for the sake of communication I will try to further explain.

There is a short list of guys that I do not want to deal with. From time to time, it happens that a name is added to my list.
As simple as that.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

HankII
G-Major
G-Major

Post by HankII » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Anything wrong with my English? I think it is clear enough
Indeed. It's your attitude that comes into question.
Only 2 things in life make it worth livin'
Is old Jeeps tuned good & Firm Feelin women

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 pm

HankII wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm

It's your attitude that comes into question.
I do not know what entitles you to judge or comment on my supposed attitude:this is a thread about Ink stamped IRWIN screwdrivers, in connection with the toolkits I offered for sale. I could not care less of what you think about my right to refuse sale to anyone with whom I do not want to deal .

Post by HankII » Mon May 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Just out of curiosity... How many names are on your black list?

Not much has changed in seven years. Yes,once on my list, the guy will stay on it for ever.
Luca

Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 am

I'm sure Mr. lucakiki can't change his bad attitude, some people are born that way, sad.
lucakiki, I have added your name to my list of people, as I do from time to time, please don't take this personally as I do this to anyone I dislike because of their bad manner's.

PS: Please don't add my name to "your list" as I might like to buy one of your Irwin screwdriver's, you know, the one's that were in the WW2 jeep's tool kit. save me one OK. :roll:
67 M-151A1

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 am

GI. wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 am
I'm sure Mr. lucakiki cant change his bad attitude, some people are born that way, sad.
luca, I have added your name to my list of people, as I do from time to time, please don't take this personally as I do this to anyone I dislike because of their bad manner's.

PS: Please don't add my name to "your list" as I might like to buy one of your Irwin screwdriver's, you know, the one's that were in the WW2 jeep's tool kit. save me one OK.
Most likely because of my limited command of the English language, I cannot find the correct adjective for guys who cannot read and understand properly.
You patently failed to read that I am not ready to sell outright any of my ink stamped Irwins, not even to nice and polite gee friends: go figure if I would sell one (or anything else for that) to a guy of your kind.

While I do not give a rat's for your freaking list, I understand that all you wanted to do with your useless post is to underline how the Irwins in my kits are not correct.
Great!

There are a number of things that you patently ignore, so since it is rainy day I will waste a little bandwidth and inform you in an as plain as possible way, so there is a chance that you get at least a shade of the concepts.

I was among the first gee members,or maybe the very first,to point out the correctness of ink stamped Irwin screwdrivers, at a time when the discussions were only about IRWIN stamped on shank versus Gov. Stock marked Irwins.Easily checked by anyone able to use the search feature.

For a long time these were deemed correct or acceptable, and I know for a fact that judges did NOT object to any of them when included in the toolkit of a factory class jeep entered for judging.

In this very thread quite a bit of interesting and useful information has been posted , which benefits a number of tool collectors.
My thanks to them all.
Under that light it is easy , by comparison, to assess the value of the posts of a couple of other guys, whose only goal is to be nasty.Out of envy, I suppose, or some other frustration in their life.

I would not be surprised if the moderation would take care of that and delete the useless posts.Amen.
Luca

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Post by Jon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Admins and Moderators do keep an eye on certain posts and threads.

Just to be clear, you may argue about the validity of something, however, transgress into the personal abuse etc. and I'll come down so hard you won't see the Gee for a long, long time.

Keep it civil gentlemen.....

JR
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

IRWIN screwdrivers

Post by lucakiki » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:23 am

Thank you, Jon!

As a corollary , here is a link to an old but interesting thread about Irwin screwdrivers.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... ped+irwins

In this thread, by the way, there are many posters that do not post anymore, and this fact is a pity.
The opinions and the knowledge have changed quite a bit since 2006!
Basically most collectors used to be quite happy with Gov. Stock marked Irwins, until the now famous WOA drawing came around: at that point the favor shifted to IRWIN stamped on shank.
There was one guy who cashed on the lack of GOV. STOCK marking on the IRWINS he was selling, allegedly sourced from military surplus sales. Too bad he never gave evidence of them being really military surplus,because such evidence would have provided useful information.

At that time, the ink stamped Irwins were hardly considered,which is strange if one considers how the famous 1944 SNL G-503 manual has a clearly ink stamped Irwin in the image of the supplied tools.

I suggest that the tool forum aficionados have a look at the old thread, at least for old times sake.

irwin  screwdrivers_june.jpg
irwin screwdrivers_june.jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Luca

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 am

These are not mine although I did come away with a couple of them for my sets.
-Don
Attachments
6FA2F527-F952-4952-A529-CD6334DC5E5A.jpeg
Irwin ink marked NOS 16” screwdrivers
6FA2F527-F952-4952-A529-CD6334DC5E5A.jpeg (100 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

sincitygpw
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sincitygpw » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:14 am

Hi All
Luca thanks for the old link you posted, on page 5 the ink stamped Irwin posted by Roger, I find it very interesting in the way it is stamped with the Irwin made in USA facing toward the back of the handle, all the other ink stamped Irwin screwdrivers that I have seen, to include my own have the ink stamp facing towards the tip of the screwdriver just an observation. Does anyone else have one stamped the same way as Rogers ?
Thank's
Dave

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:47 pm

sincitygpw wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:14 am
Hi All
Luca thanks for the old link you posted, on page 5 the ink stamped Irwin posted by Roger, I find it very interesting in the way it is stamped with the Irwin made in USA facing toward the back of the handle, all the other ink stamped Irwin screwdrivers that I have seen, to include my own have the ink stamp facing towards the tip of the screwdriver just an observation. Does anyone else have one stamped the same way as Rogers ?
Thank's
Dave

Dave, I had not noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out!
I cannot remember where Roger's picture came from, or where the screwdriver went to. France, maybe.
I do not even remember how I purchased the three nice ones at the top of this thread.

While it is by now an ascertained fact that Ink stamped IRWINS are the best option, I would not be so hostile toward the more recent variants.
Some kinder guys define them as " less desirable", or consider them "temporary fillers".
I apologize for being repetitive,but I remind the audience that the judges used to accept them without objections.

Anyway, the toolkits I offer for sale clearly show the kind of screwdriver included, and my asking prices are quite low: some venomous remarks do not impress me one bit, also because collectors from worldwide were always very happy with their purchases.
Luca

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”