GMTK Collectors at MVPA National Convention?

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee
GMTK Collectors at MVPA National Convention?

Post by gpw_42 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:24 am

Has there been a push in the past to get the GMTK collectors together at a particular event? I know that I met several guys last year at the event at Ripken Stadium in MD, and I've heard about guys gathering at Tower Park and it's subsequent events. Is there any interest in getting together a group of us at the 2018 MVPA National Convention in Louisville, KY from June 14-16?

http://www.mvpa.org/home/mvpa-conventio ... onvention/

I think this would be a GREAT time to put faces with names from the G, since many of us seem to trade among ourselves. It'd probably also help us swap stuff w/o paying the USPS. We represent a pretty small subsection of the MV community, but it'd be nice to get to meet and hang out some. I'm assuming that it's probably too late to get approved for judging for this year, but maybe we could set conditions for judging for next year? Or maybe we skip judging and focus on social aspect?

Thoughts?
Steve

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: GMTK Collectors at MVPA National Convention?

Post by Rustman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 am

Steve,

I won't make it to National but the Friday of the East Coast rally I'll be there.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:31 pm

A few years ago Brain "Workdawg", Fred C. and I met up at the national meeting in Louisville for a GMTK get together of three. I sure miss seeing Brian on the gee and I enjoyed meeting Fred. Sounds like a great idea and I hope it comes together.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:07 am

There was a small contingent at Topeka as well. I suspect I won't make it to Louisville this year, but it's a bit too early to say for certain.

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:24 am

lt.luke wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:07 am
... but it's a bit too early to say for certain.
I'm in the exact same boat, re: too early to commit. If I get there, it'll only be for Saturday, after traveling all day on Friday.

I've never been to a National, and think the idea is really intriguing. Wish I'd had the idea a while ago to try to build/push consensus sooner...or get several of us together to put on a display.

Anyone interested in the display idea in the future? If the 2019 location has been announced, it's not yet posted on the MVPA website.

Steve

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 am

Steve, I think it's customary to announce after conclusion of the current show. If you are going to spearhead something tool-related, might reach out directly to Kevin Lockwood and ask if anything is known.

As for my "next year"...I'm in the Army....If I'm not in the middle of a PCS and it's close, I'm ALWAYS up for a trip to the Nationals.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:00 am

Just happened to see this.
Luke: I hope all is well.
As for 2019 we have a signed contract with York, PA. Close to Gettysburg, the Army War College, and a operating Steam Locomotive facility.
I would be happy to assist in facilitating a GMTK room for discussion / seminar.
On a personal note. Would any of you be willing to assemble a tool set for a half-trac (basic) and a kit for the 75mm Gun Motor Carriage (specific)?
I have too many projects and would love to acquire a couple of sets over the next year or two.
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 am

All is well. Hate to have missed you at Sprouse’s last week. How’s your boy liking the Army?

As for tool kits, there are some great guys who hunt actively. I’m sure they (and I) will keep an eye out. You could help by posting a thread for what goes in an HT toolkit? I have no clue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:06 am

lt.luke wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 am
Steve, I think it's customary to announce after conclusion of the current show. If you are going to spearhead something tool-related, might reach out directly to Kevin Lockwood and ask if anything is known.

As for my "next year"...I'm in the Army....If I'm not in the middle of a PCS and it's close, I'm ALWAYS up for a trip to the Nationals.
Yeah, that's what I was figuring, re: holding off the announcement, which I should have specified that in my first post on the topic. Didn't know how interested you (or others) would be in this idea, but it's encouraging that there are folks out there who think the idea may have some merit. Last year was the only time it's ever fit in the ~20 years I've been an MVPA member where I could have gone, with the least deconfliction. This year? We'll see, but certainly not to do a display.

I'd love to see a group of us get together and make a display: WW2 GMTK evolution? Upper echelon sets? WW2 vs. modern comparison? Lots of rabbit holes we could go down, and certainly don't need to do it all the first time. To do it right, I THINK, will take a team effort.

Feedback?
Steve

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:50 am

I don’t have anything (complete) worth showing, but I love the idea of a Tool Corral. We’ve had a room before to discuss (appreciate the nod to the same again Kevin) and that’s necessary as it gives a place to spread out the books and pics etc and discuss stuff. But I think it might be cool to have a designated spot on the exhibit floor. We could fabricate some chainlink walls and make a tool crib or do a change of command type layout. All kinds of options!

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:15 am

Luke and Steve,
You are on the right path.
1. A special room with a listing under EVENTS section for the show. A place to gather and compare thoughts etc. Hopefully some noobs like me would attend and learn something LOL.
2. A DISPLAY for show and/or judging on the main floor. (Tool crib)
I would love to see a tool crib display at our show. Either of these are something the host MVPA affiliate and the HQ director's and staff can help facilitate.
Luke thanks for asking about Ethan (my son). He is well. Just back from a FTX on post at Ft. Gordon. He was tapped by the 1SGT to "lead" the exercise and enjoyed the feedback on his performance.
I will try to learn more on all the tools involved for the basic and specialized tools listed for inclusion in a half-trac kit.
All the best
Kevin
42 Ford GPW
41 White M2 halftrack

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:16 am

For a Tool Crib, we need to raid the Gregseum. He’s probably got everything we need!

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Sat May 05, 2018 6:09 am

I have a half-trac meet and greet scheduled both Friday and Saturday. Y'all are invited to attend. I would love to know more about assembling sets for vehicles.
42 Ford GPW
41 White M2 halftrack

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:55 am

Who all is headed to the MVPA Convention next week? I'll be there Friday afternoon and Saturday morning; would like to put together a meet-up of anybody interested in working this idea. Please post here; I'd like to work the gathering in a public part of the convention, in the hopes that we have several get together.

Steve

MChapin
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by MChapin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:31 am

I'll be there. Always willing to learn more.

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”