GMTK Toolboxes

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Schultzd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: GMTK Toolboxes

Post by Schultzd » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:01 am

Here's how the white paint was utilized in several places I was stationed while I was in the Army:

Every year, and sometimes, more often, the Supply Sergeant or Commander would order an inventory of these tool kits. Each mechanic has to sign for their kit. So, they would line everyone up, lay out the tools, the box, everything they were signed for. So, the Supply Sgt would hold up the correct tool, have everyone hold up the matching tool. It was easy for the Supply Sgt to see just who had the correct tool. The box had some white paint on it so the Supply Sgt could easily see from a distance that the mechanic indeed had not only the correct box, but the correct box number as assigned to the mechanic. Soldiers are very adept at somehow, "finding" the missing tool or box and trying to substitute. A good supply sgt or tool room keeper would see thru most shenanigans tho. The white paint was usually a commander ordered modification.

Dan
Dan Schultz
Retired USA SFC
GP 9275
GPW 14944 M38 MC70324
M38A1 MD20035
K-38 Lineman Trailer

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:09 am

Jason that's a fine looking Hamilton toolbox you have there. Am I correct in thinking that it's the first such example recorded here with "pointed" corner reinforcement feet? All the other Hamiltons appear to have rounded reinforcements or none at all.
MB 298781 DoD: est. 01-19-44 (ex British Army 1958)
T1 Trailer: "Transportation Equipment Co."
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Hartofoak wrote:Jason that's a fine looking Hamilton toolbox you have there. Am I correct in thinking that it's the first such example recorded here with "pointed" corner reinforcement feet? All the other Hamiltons appear to have rounded reinforcements or none at all.
Thanks Cliff. That box is used but in fantastic condition for its age. That's my keeper box. 8)
As far as I know, it's the only example that's been posted with the pointed corner supports.
I've got 3 wartime Hamilton boxes now. I guess, unlike Wingnutt, I have a hard time letting things go... :lol:
The no FSN box is in the best shape, followed by FSN marked box with rounded feet, followed by FSN marked box without feet.
All the boxes are otherwise identical in make. 17 wide hinge knuckles, round handle tray with only one oiler hole, and ledges for the tray instead of pins.
Here's a few more pics and a LINK to the full size images.
-Jason

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Excellent photos of your super Hamilton collection Jason - one of each type. Although we are calling those "sharp/pointed" corner reinforcements, they are not like those I posted much earlier in this thread. Would it be worth bringing the photos of the various corner types together and giving them a better description?
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sun May 01, 2016 10:54 am

Hartofoak wrote:Excellent photos of your super Hamilton collection Jason - one of each type. Although we are calling those "sharp/pointed" corner reinforcements, they are not like those I posted much earlier in this thread.
Thanks Cliff. I noticed the difference between the 'sharp' feet on the Hamilton vs. the 'sharp' feet on the McAleer box as well. If you want to add photos of the feet to your reference on pg. 2 here, I'll be happy to send you some images.

Rain kept me away from the flea today, and all that red on the top of that one Hamilton box was bothering me. :o
So, I took some penetrating oil, some 0000 steel wool, and a bunch of time and elbow grease and was able to remove most of the red.
Here's a few pics.
Before:
Half way! Looking good.
I'm calling it finished. Still some red/primer highlights, but all in all, much of the O.D. paint came back.
And, an interesting discovery. Each corner had evidence of a spot weld. So, this box had feet at one point in it's long life.
-Jason

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sun May 01, 2016 11:04 am

Taking a look at a few of those marked boxes. I noticed that the McAleer box owned by Hartofoak is marked in much the same way as the Hamilton that Wingnutt just found.
Both have a layer of paint down on the box with stenciling over top. Though, one seems more carefully applied than the other.
Cliff, is that base color a Blue Drab?
-Jason

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Sun May 01, 2016 12:24 pm

Jason, when I acquired my second MVMTS box (£5) it was completely over-painted bluish-grey. The stencilling was not visible. After several days (!) of judicious rubbing with very fine, wet carborundum paper, I eventually revealed the underlying OD in a similar way to your pink box. I was reluctant to go any further than reveal the black stencilling on the side of the box, so left some of the grey in order not to destroy the stencilling. Your comparison with Greg's box was very astute but it has given me the opportunity to repeat my saga. Looks like your footless Hamilton may well have had feet after all. I spent some time looking on the web for manufacturers of those corner reinforcements. Found some very similar but they were too large. I think someone else posted a link to a manufacturer a while back. When I get time I'll try and put together a composite image of the various corner reinforcements; it may help in subsequent identification.
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Tue May 10, 2016 5:40 am

While not 100% correct, I did manage to find some vintage style 'trunk corners' that are a pretty good match for the GMTK feet.
What do you guys think? The nickel plating is a bit bright. Nothing that a shot of OD can't fix.
-Jason

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue May 10, 2016 6:20 am

Mud,
I think the overall shape, look, and feel is incredibly accurate. The best I have seen. The rivet hole is distracting, though. Maybe it will be less obvious when riveted. Or if you plan on spot welding, maybe you could fill that in and paint over it.

I still think the best solution is feet removed from junker boxes. On that note - in the thread where I just sold some there is a box behind the box I cannibalized. It is not a 41-B-1840, but it has four feet with the plain rounded side tabs (vs the "French leaf" style, for wont of a better term) like the feet on the other box. They are intact, but very rusty and worn through on the bottom. I will remove them this weekend and post photos.

EDIT: Wait. I just realized you want the French lead because that is what is on the other three corners of the box on the left. Never mind. Duh!
TEMPORARY DUTY

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Tue May 10, 2016 6:40 am

Wingnutt wrote:EDIT: Wait. I just realized you want the French lead because that is what is on the other three corners of the box on the left. Never mind. Duh!
I was actually looking for the rounded feet, for the Hamilton box I have without any feet. So, 4 would be nice. But that style isn't available. I was thinking about pulling the rounded feet off of a rusty Union style box with the rounded feet since the Hamilton is a more desirable box. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

I'll need to fill in the holes and then spot weld them onto the box. I don't think that rivets will look quite right. The replacement corners are for luggage/trunks, so they're meant to be tacked or screwed into place, hence the hole.
-Jason

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue May 10, 2016 8:01 am

mudbox wrote:I was actually looking for the rounded feet, for the Hamilton box I have without any feet. So, 4 would be nice. But that style isn't available. I was thinking about pulling the rounded feet off of a rusty Union style box with the rounded feet since the Hamilton is a more desirable box. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Well, then, at least wait until I knock the feet off the non-41-B-1840 type box. (That box is OD, military, and wartime, but it is beyond saving...) They are the same exact size and shape as the desirable rounded ones. Better to take them off a junker than an otherwise usable Union box.
mudbox wrote:I don't think that rivets will look quite right.
Me neither. I think you can spot weld, "putty" it, file it down, and paint over.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Tue May 10, 2016 10:31 am

mudbox wrote:While not 100% correct, I did manage to find some vintage style 'trunk corners' that are a pretty good match for the GMTK feet.
What do you guys think? The nickel plating is a bit bright. Nothing that a shot of OD can't fix.
-Jason
I think if you Mig'd them on through those holes, ground the welds flat, and applied OD they would be just fine. You'd probably want to do all four on a box though, just so they looked right. I did notice that a lot of the catches on the boxes, especially the Kennedy ones, are Excelsior Hardware, so that is worth watching for too. What I'd really like to find is a new strong leather handle for the hip-roof boxes tho'
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

Tin Medic
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tin Medic » Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Unmarked box that has lived a very hard life.
2016-05-23 19.52.34.jpg
2016-05-23 19.52.34.jpg (171.18 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
2016-05-23 19.52.46.jpg
2016-05-23 19.52.46.jpg (204.31 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
2016-05-23 19.52.09.jpg
2016-05-23 19.52.09.jpg (205.62 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
1952 M-37
US ARMY 20955830

Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Silly's MB » Tue May 24, 2016 12:31 am

Nice find Tin !

Have you found anything out about Coller Tool corp. ?

Looks to be Vietnam era.
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB
Complete MVMTS 100% sourced in the ETO

Empty vessels make the most noise .......

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 am

That's Giller. And I was thinking earlier (50s), but just conjecture.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”