Field Expedient Rifle Rack Mount?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Frankie
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Field Expedient Rifle Rack Mount?

Post by Frankie » Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 am

I noticed that 22192's windshield had been drilled as shown with remains of a broken off bolt at nr 2. I had a metal rifle holder that I had not planned to install but got to wondering and measured the distance from hole nr 1 to nr 2 at 31 3/4 inches, same as the outer holes on the rifle holder. What would you do, install the correct mounts and the holder, mount the holder using the current holes, or weld up the holes and forget the holder?
IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG (180.79 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Attachments
IMG_2228.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG (196.59 KiB) Viewed 503 times
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG (178.79 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Field Expedient Rifle Rack Mount?

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:30 am

Your early short windshield frame does not have the space for the original GI Rifle Holder brackets that the factory spot welded on. There are plenty of photos of MB's having short windshields sporting Leather Carbine Scabbards strapped on vertically. This may be the reason that many Jeeps have Leather Scabbards.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Mon May 21, 2018 6:23 am

Frankie, I believe those are possibly Bubba modifications. It’s possible those are a field mod trying to affix a leather scabbord or some other accessory to the windshield but I can’t envision how they would be able to keep a leather scabbord attacked there. You would think that with bumps and vibrations, the leather would start to tear through at the nuts. As Joel stated, prior to the rifle bracket mounts becoming available, some GI’s fitted a leather scabbords to the jeeps but I have not seen one attached to a windshield.

By the way, you would make an early Slat Grill guy needing a short windshield very happy if you offered to trade your short model for a proper early tall windshield for your jeep.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon May 21, 2018 8:04 am

There's an early WWII Photo in an MB with the Carbine Leather scabbard mounted vertically on the side of the windshield frame.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Frankie
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Frankie » Mon May 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Forget the leather carbine holder. Suggestions that this mod is for a carbine case tears my nuts. As I stated, the holes are the same distance apart on the windshield as on the metal rifle holder, 31 3/4 inches. I don't think you will find a carbine leather case that is near that long plus they had leather straps that made the carbine case easy to hang just about anywhere. AS, I don't really care to mount the metal rifle case; looking for suggestions on how to proceed: Fill the holes or stick bolts in them and hang the metal holder (that I really don't care that much for).

Michael O: "By the way, you would make an early Slat Grill guy needing a short windshield very happy if you offered to trade your short model for a proper early tall windshield for your jeep." This is the windshield that came on it. The Front top bow has been shortened about 4 inches as I recall (by PO); do you think that would that have been because the windshield is not normal height?

Frankie
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Frankie » Wed May 23, 2018 5:55 pm

I measured my windshield at the center without the cowl seal: 22 3/8 inches. I think this would indicate a normal height windshield. Wondering why anyone would think this is a short windshield?

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 am

It is not the inner windshield, try measuring the distance between the upper and lower tubing. Mine has the two factory brackets for the rifle holder and measures 4-5/16" between the horizontal tubing.
It just might be an illusion, your windshield appeared shorter at first impression.

Frankie
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Frankie » Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Measuring between the two lower horizontal tubes I got 4 3/8 in. So this a normal size windshield.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes and I can say it with confidence. Your pic appeared to be shorter but it really was not and we are only 1/16" different and that is close enough for government work. Maybe someone can measure a Slat Windshield out of curiosity.
I believe some of the dealers may have repro brackets that will upgrade your windshield if you choose.
You are very lucky to have such a clean windshield, it's flawless.
Sorry about the confusion.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”