WAWTHAU

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
DavidA
Equipment Operator, Heavy -2nd Class

WAWTHAU

Post by DavidA » Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 am

Yeah..."Where And Who The Heck Are You?"

So many people are signed on here to the Gee but they don't fill in where they are located or what their name is (any name will do). Then either they post they want something or have something to sell and people have to scratch their heads thinking, where is this person?

This isn't some form of CIA or Dark Web type of site so why don't you go into your settings and put a name and at least a state or country where you are located. It makes it so much easier to figure out whether or not shipping or even the thought of a transaction with a person is feasible.

Just say'n ... :?

Here is an example:

GPW Early Block For Sale

" Hey, anyone interested in GPW engine block #10001? Its a good one and early too. Well I have it and its for sale for $120.00."

images-4.jpeg
images-4.jpeg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 933 times

Then of course all the GPW guys respond with no idea where the motor block is or who you are but after the thread goes on for a week and every GPW fanatic sends in their offer to buy, you, lets call you Dufus, says, "Yeah, I have it in an igloo in Antarctica and you can come look at it there." If the Dufus and igloo were in your settings, many of the GPW guys would bail out...well maybe some except for Chuck and Tom who would be hooking up their dog sleds and ratchet straps.

Now do the right thing? Please????
Last edited by DavidA on Fri May 18, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Aro - USN SEABEES '66-'70
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: WAWTHAU

Post by dpcd67 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:41 am

You are spot on. Good luck making guys actually do it.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 am

Right on Dave....the bigger, the heavier and the more difficult items cost a lot to ship or take time/gas to come get so I would agree, location will make or break a deal pretty fast. I don't know why guys won't at least include the city/state or city/country where they live as they will avoid a gazillion PMs and Emails that end it "it's too far away/it's too expensive to ship" like you are saying.

As far as flying without a name....that's the internet way so I doubt you will get many guys to sign in with their real name. Or all of it for that matter...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 pm

I have the answer..... After your title of what your selling, your area should be right after that. I frequent a site called "Ford Barn" for Model A & T Fords, and thats what they do. You can easily tell where the item is at. I believe that you don't put the area info in, it's automatic after your heading.

EXAMPLE:
Ford frame for sale---------California
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks Dino and Chuck for your support on this. After 200 views as I write, this is what we got, two responses that agreed and one that wanted to be made to do it? I can understand a guy who is mobile and doesn't have a home port but at least have a country.

There are so many people here on the gee that don't have names or don't live anywhere. WTH?

If your looking at this and don't have your name or location in your settings...just do it. Its easy.

By the way, thanks for your 28 year service :!:
Attachments
gunnys says.jpeg
C'mon guys, do it for the right reason.
We are all on this site together and when
you speak, we should know who the heck
we are speaking to and not some avatar
name but a real name.
gunnys says.jpeg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 750 times
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Good call Dave, also guys may be nearer to another "G" member than they realise, and more friendships could be formed. :D

majmacs
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am

On another forum I am on (Defender2.net), you add in the model defender you have including the year and even the colour as well as a nearby zip/postal code.

Whenever someone posts, they have a little avatar of their defender under their name as well as a location so everyone pretty much knows what vehicle and locale you are in. Saves about 5 posts in the thread of people asking what model vehicle you have and where you are in the context of providing servicing/ parts advice and follow-on questions.

(You have the option of providing your exact address or a regional one during the registration process in case you a re a “prepper” and dont want the government to know exactly where your stuff is stashed...LOL......actually as the Defender is one of the most stolen vehicles in the UK, people dont want to advertise their locations too readily)

So perhaps something like that could be added to the registration process as a mandatory step? Choose......full address, town, state/shire/province or country as a mandatory step....meaning you have to put in one of them at the level you feel most comfortable with.

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Lets keep this at the top! I guess it should be on another forum but. I thought I would start it here since all the newbies tend to flock here to begin their life with the Gee...and what a life it is.
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 am

Mark Jesic wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 pm
Good call Dave, also guys may be nearer to another "G" member than they realise, and more friendships could be formed. :D
Great point! When I lived in DC I randomly stumbled across another G member's thread. He fortunately had his location listed as 'Washington, DC'. Long story short, I posted that I lived in the same city, we PM'd a couple of times, then met in his neighborhood so I could see his MB and go for a ride. That was a year and a half ago and I've since helped him with an engine swap, other odds and ends, and we still stay in touch, even after I moved out of the city. I never would have stumbled into that OD-related friendship if he didn't have his location identified in on his profile. Let's be honest, there's no need to put you house address in your signature, but a general area, or even the city name that's closest to you might help you create a new friendship, find a new mechanic (who will work for lunch or a couple of beers), or even track down parts that you're in need of.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by wynnski » Tue May 22, 2018 4:48 am

Done it
Adrian
GPW #106837

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 pm

One down...thanks Adrian! 8) Maybe you have started a new thing. People on the Gee will actually be recognized when they post. :D

Yeah...theres that guy from Gloustestishirrrrre. Yeah...we know him.
1941 WILLYS MB-104354
1942 WILLYS MB-131350

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”