T84 issues

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
T84 issues

Post by 101son » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:36 am

Transmission would only pop out of second with foot off the gas, brought it to someone to fix and now it is hard to go into first and second. I don't know what he replaced or what he did as he is not available.
It feels like it doesn't want to go into gear at all unless you start to let the clutch out a little, and then it seems as though it finds a piece of gear and when you put the clutch in again you can usually get it into gear the remainder of the way. Hope that helps describe what it is doing. The clutch plate does stop when I push the clutch in. I pulled the cover to the tranny and I have brass filing so I would guess the syncro's are fried. I know I have to pull it again but wondering how I will tell what the problem is to fix? The only thing he mentioned was he tightened the gate and the only thing I noticed was he welded some squarer edges to the shifter base.
Any suggestions?

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: T84 issues

Post by 101son » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 pm

I will look.

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 am

Yes sir it does have a gasket between the tcase and tranny. I also just re-read my post and meant to say it is hard to get into first and reverse. It would grind when going in when I got it back which it didn't do before, now it does nothing until I let of the clutch a little and starts to find the gear and then when I push the clutch in again I can usually get it in the remainder of the way. Sometimes I will have to bump second or third, and then push the clutch in again and then find first or reverse. So between the bumping of the second or third gear and then into first or reverse, or carefully letting out the clutch with pressure on the shifter to go into reverse or first until I feel it catch then clutching again to get it in the remainder of the way are the only ways I can get it into reverse or first. Hope that makes sense.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 am

If you come to a complete stop at a stop sign and put the T84 immediately into Neutral....then count slowly 1-2-3 then try to put it into 1st gear and it grinds then the main gear is still driving the cluster and since 1st is not synchro'd, it will, of course grind. Using 2nd to slow down that rotation and then trying 1st again seems to indicate that you may have one or more of the following:
1) the main gear is binding in the flywheel bushing
2) the clutch linkage is not adjusted correctly
3) if it is a "new" clutch assembly, the fingers are out of adjustment
4) when the mechanic worked on the T84, his "fixes" may have caused this problem
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:00 am

The clutch plate can be installed back to front as well.
The raised centre section holding the damper springs should be to the transmission.
This can be felt [when the engine is not running] through the bell housing inspection window.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

ghiltgen
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by ghiltgen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm

I am not sure from your description what was welded. Was it the notches at the top of shift tower, or the guide plate on the underside of transmission cover? Brass filing could have come from the thrust washers as well.
ghiltgen
1943 MB SN 226406
Veteran Award, Motorpool Class 2021
GPW 127386
1948 CJ2A
MVPA member 36543

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 pm

The base of the stick that pushes against the rails to shift is what he squared up. Hope that makes sense as I am not near a manual for correct terms.
As far as the wavy washer there is none under the plate. Does that have to be there? Thanks

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes Luc it is hard or impossible to shift into 1st or reverse unless I let the clutch out a bit and then when I feel the gear start to mesh push it in again to get it into gear. I really haven’t tried 2nd or third much because I have had such a problem with first I wondered if I’d be stranded with something broken or wouldn’t be able to get it into gear. I can drive it more if you think it is ok and not
Going to make anything worse.

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks chuck. There’s not really a lot with the clutch linkage to adjust is there? As long as I have the correct 3/4 inch play?
Wondering how first would bind or I guess the cause For it to bind as you mentioned?
The clutch is new as of before i had this new problem. It was fine. Whether he could have messed with it I don’t know. It was smooth as butter in reverse and first. Now it acts as though it’s not near a gear to drop into unless I mess around enough to get it in there.

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Ok. I will change the gear oil and drive it. I will keep you informed.

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Its pretty hard to drive with having such a hard time to engage 1st. I found that when I am stopped if I shift it to third it will sometimes go into first or at least start to go into first. If I just try shifting it into first or reverse it is a dead end. Nothing. Like hitting a wall. When I first brought this home from the mechanic it would grind going into first and reverse. Now, unless I cox it in by say finding third, it is a dead end, wont even start to find the gear to grind.

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:25 pm

Maybe I'm slow at this one, but how can it grind into 1st when the clutch plate is stopped?
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

101son
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 101son » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:40 pm

It doesn't grind anymore. It did when I first brought it home for a day or two. Since then it doesn't even feel like it will go into gear unless I try just about everything I can, try second to first, third to first, bump second, bump third, eventually the combo gets it into gear with a second clutching after it feels like she will finally go.

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 am

Since I can't see your transmission and work it, The fact that it won't go into gears properly, makes me believe that you have some sort of issue with the shifter cane, shift plate, and / or guide plate that is riveted under the cover. A youtube video of this would sure help if you can.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 am

To add to dinof's post....

When you are at a stop...and you try to get into any gear (non synchronized 1st or 3rd or synchronized 2nd or 3rd) that tells us either the internals are still spinning or the assembly is not fully engaging any gear when you try to shift it.

Remove the trans cover plate and the inspection cover on the bellhousing. Start the engine in neutral (have a friend do this). You will see the clutch and the disc spinning.
Now have them depress the clutch pedal and you should see the clutch DISC come to a complete stop.
If it does not stop then the clutch is dragging and you probably found your problem.

Photos make assisting jeep problems 100 times easier. Even a short You Tube video with the link posted here will do that. Learn to master posting pics here to speed the process of sorting out your problems.

With the books you can correctly identify any part by its name and/or part number. A description of a "thing-a-ma-jig" or "doo-hickey" does not.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”